Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
StormtrooperPrincess

Recs for Role-Playing Games (RPG), LARP and Cosplay

Starting to lean towards Lana or Ema rather than Miles crossplay, actually, even if they're not as recognizeable.

I don't know, I think that would make them MORE appealing, not less. I like doing the less-common characters. If you put together a good costume, people will ask you about the costume if they don't immediately get it.

And it's a sure way to find out who the diehard fans are. :P Plus you don't see you staring back at you at every turn!

Any of my girls in the house fellow gaslamp fantasy enthusiasts? Recs for Agatha Heterodyne/Gil Wulfenbach sans roses, lavender or honey, all of which are me-Kryptonite? (just not Kataniya, she's already claimed by Von Pinn.)

Well.. There's talk of steampunk sents at some point in the future, which would probably cover it. Though Lightening makes me think of Gil (Ahh Gil *swoon*) and Mechanical Phoenix for Agatha.. At least those are the ones I lean towards..

Any of my girls in the house fellow gaslamp fantasy enthusiasts? Recs for Agatha Heterodyne/Gil Wulfenbach sans roses, lavender or honey, all of which are me-Kryptonite? (just not Kataniya, she's already claimed by Von Pinn.)
Edited by NatCatz

Are you the one who had the BPAL thread up over at Court Records? That was fun, though I didn't participate. Still have nothing for Miles, DX.

Aaawwrrr x___@ no that wasnt' me that started that thread..but it woudl ahve been cool if it was me!! (are thereany other fran cosplayers that wear BPAL oturhere? :P COOL!!!

I've recently discovered Hellfire... mgith be nice fro miles? got the leather-y richnesin there...but.. I migth be wrong.. Villian also sound yummy.. have yet to try it!

I feel Black Dahlia for Franziska as well, and would have so much fun with it. But I can't *be* Franny, because I can't pull off the short skirt and stockings (seen way too many bad Franziskas and I like her too much). Starting to lean towards Lana or Ema rather than Miles crossplay, actually, even if they're not as recognizeable. Ema is either Cheshire Cat or Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet smells like SCIENCE, :D), but Lana... you have any ideas? I'm not getting anything.

Lana lana... mmmmm She's very tastey to me. she'd eed something rich... something sandlewood-y.... I almsot wanna say Sherizade (sp?) becasue.. Mm.. I don't know :D it seems like her...

I second Ultraviolet for Ema.. SCIENCE!!

Alternatively, I might totally blaspheme the character and crossplay as von Karma. There are so many Edgeworths out there that surely I can find one of them willing to pose for pictures with me (yes, I kind of slash them). *He* smells like Wilde, and is why I can't wear it in any normal situation. Still have a month until I have to start making my costume.

Oooohhh :) to bad I dont' live anywhere near you.. I'd thro on fran and go DAADDYYYYYYYY!! ;) *lol* woud lbe amusing

I have a Water-Aspected Dragon-Blooded I used to play in a now (happily!) finished Exalted roleplaying game. Her name is Margot ("pearl" in French) and she is very delicate, sweet, and pious (she's also an excellent martial-artist). Here are a couple of pics I've commissioned for her:

http://neolucky.deviantart.com/art/Commiss...Margot-39748682

http://mrsloth.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Margot-34606863

She has golden hair and gold-tinged skin with a rippling water overlay (like sunlight dancing on water--very shiny, but she has Legendary Breeding, so year)

House of Mirrors seems like an obvious choice, but it's just to androgynous-smelling. I was thinking maybe the original Milk Moon or Chaste Moon, but I'd love more recs =)

I'm glad theres a Cosplay rec thread!

For my school girl costume I already know what scent I'm using.

For the other, It's Princess Perona of One Piece's Thriller Park. She's a Ghost Princess who doesn't like anything that isn't cute.

Pictures:

Black and white

Color

She uses mini hollows to drown people in their own negative thoughts. She can control ghosts.

I think she may be something from the Carnival Diabolique series or Ars Moriendi but I'm not sure.

Sweet and Pink, but deathly at the same time.

Thanks!

I've actually got a few characters that I'd like to pick out a scent for... Think you can help?

Character 1: Faith

Faith was raised in a very religious Catholic family. She's currently enrolled in college and a the world religions class she took last semester caused her to begin to question the validity of her religion. She writes poetry occasionally, but doesn't share it, though she enjoys going to the local coffee house and listening to other people read their poems... At least she did until the night that a helicopter crashed nearby. She doesn't remember much from that night, just a whirl of noise, gunshots, pain, blood, and a man leaning over her asking whether she wanted to live or not... Now she hears voices and has a strange craving for blood which she refuses to take from living humans. She's convinced that God is punishing and/or testing her because she'd begun to doubt her beliefs.

Character 2: Tajha

Tajha is a healer through and through. She does anything in her power to help others, even if it means sacrificing her own happiness/wellbeing. She's patient and kind and can deal with pretty much any badness some one might through at her. She doesn't fear death or pain. She's extremely loyal to her friends, to the point that--while generally being a pacifist--she would not be adverse to ensuring that a painful and torturous death befell some one that caused enough harm to one of them. She carries a staff for knocking sense into people (the Reason Stick). She has always been the glue that holds the group together.

Character 3: Ellywick

Ellywick is a bard. Everywhere she goes she carries with her a pan flute that was given to her by her grandfather (also a bard). She's very charming in a somewhat shy-seeming/cute sort of way. She loves to tell stories, do simple magic tricks, sing, and most of all play her panpipes. She's strong for her size--only about 3 feet tall, being a Gnome and all--(for anybody out there that's played D&D, I managed to get her a 13 for strength :P And she's got a 19 for charisma) Somewhere in her travels she picked up a baby dragon (maybe she stole it from a slaver while freeing his 'lot' that's the sort of thing she would do). Its name is Nico and he can usually be found sitting upon her shoulder (again for you D&D people, I haven't quite finished doing the proper research, but it looks like a baby Copper) or otherwise nearby.

Character 4: Alana

Alana is (another D&D character) a half-Elf cleric. She spent most of her time working in a hospital, taking care of the soldiers who were wounded in the war that was ravaging her country. She's pretty in a sort of exotic way... Probably enough to make heads turn, but not quite enough to make jaws drop. She knows how to handle people in a variety of situations; some just need comforting to calm down and others need to be intimidated. Alana is pretty good at both. The favored animal of the goddess she follows is the owl, and Alana has an owl's talon tattooed on her palm.

Alana and Ellywick both try to do what seems right to them even if it is against the law (Chaotic Good).

I can't wait to see what you all come up with! ^.^

I second Ultraviolet for Ema.. SCIENCE!!

I really think I'm going to do Ema (Rise from the Ashes Ema, not Apollo Justice Ema). The glasses were the only thing keeping me away from her and I discovered my old pink-lensed Paris Hilton-y sunglasses, the frames of which I can paint white. And *definitely* going Ultraviolet, because it's pretty but smells *really* chemical-y too.

Oooohhh :P to bad I dont' live anywhere near you.. I'd thro on fran and go DAADDYYYYYYYY!! :D *lol* woud lbe amusing

Yes. Yes it would. The scary part is that I was planning on trying to stay in character (I do him so well it scares the shit out of me - wish I could do the more popular characters that well).

And yeah... changed from Wilde to Bow and Crown on that. It's evil, and manly. That and writing von Karma/Edgeworth yaoi to Nick Cave's "Do You Love Me (part 2)" over and over again - the phrase "and a voice that stinks of death and vanilla" is going to be forever matched with the idea. I don't care if it's a girly smell.

(As a bonus, here's some pictures of an Epic Japanese Cosplayer by whom all future Manfred von Karmas must be judged. Rowr.)

http://d66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/onl...94404207780.jpg

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/onl...94337127807.jpg

Tajha, I looked at your wishlist but at this point, not knowing what-all you've tried and not seeing a real clear pattern for your wishes as far as what group of scents you most favor, I'm doing this completely thematically.

Faith: Probably something from the Sin and Salvation group, possibly Dirty, Penitence, Magdalen or Rose Cross. (Or Fallen, but Fallen's kinda...masculine on a lot of people.)

Tajha: The Apothecary or Tzadikim Nistarim, for healing/general righteousness.

Ellywick: Dragon's Milk or Tiger Lily, sweet with a little more to it.

Alana: Leanan Sidhe or Phantom Queen come to mind, as something freshly herbal, slightly wild and consummately feminine, while the symbolism of both is something more dangerous.

Edited by northatlantic

I'm on the lookout for a scent for my new Marvel/X-Men RPG character, Maria Santa Cordoba aka "Santa Muerte". She's Mexican, and practices Catholicism but also is a devotee of the Aztec gods. Her mutation takes the form of altering her bone structure. Her bones are pretty much unbreakable and are incredibly dense; being punched by her is like being hit with a piece of marble. In battle she can grow a protective extra layer of bone over her forehead and cheekbones - actually on top of the skin, giving her the appearance of a skull mask. Similarly, her fingers can grow an extra layer of bone which are long and pointed, like claws. Because of all the extra calcium in her body, Maria's skin is utterly white - not just Caucasian white, but as white as paper or chalk.

She also has slight powers of necromancy - if a recently deceased body still has the skull intact, she can lay her hands on the dead person's head and tap into their final memories.

Personality wise, she's quite friendly, practical and no-nonsense; she doesn't have much time for angst. Before joining the X-Men she worked with charities in the ghettoes of Los Angeles, helping children and families affected by gang violence and by intolerance of mutants. Her main friends are probably Wolverine and Xorn (a bit of selective retconning by the GM there).

Now here's the problem. I've never found an Aztec-themed BPAL scent that works for me! Tenochtitlan is too powerfully green and Tezcatlipoca, while lovely new, turns into almost pure leather on me once it's been aged for a while. Santa Muerte itself, which would be the obvious choice, is again lovely in a brand new imp but turns murky and dirty on my skin after aging for more than a couple of months. Any suggestions?

Rouge, your description puts me very much in mind of Dia de los Muertos. Also, to a lesser degree, El Dia de Reyes.

What a nifty thread!

Anyone have any recs for scents that would be good for a Delta Green game?

I play a 29 year old white female NSA analyst who about a year before the game starts was pregnant and happy with her long-time boyfriend. She began noticing that internationally reports of crop circles line coincide with missing persons reports. Thinking she was onto something she devoted more and more time to her job, and became obsessed with finding more evidence. Her superiors ignore her reports and penalize her for them. She just works harder and harder and gets more involved, straining her relationship with her boyfriend. When her pregnancy miscarried her boyfriend split, she's really depressed and has given up on the crop circle deal and is just treading water in life , when...ENTER DELTA GREEN.

Now she is still unfulfilled and depressed with no life outside work...but also part of a government conspiracy to keep the forces of evil at bay!

Whoo.

Her name is Kirsten.

Well this is from an old medieval rp me and a friend did

Seth Boran: the eldest son of a clan of assassins and last of his line. Family tied very tightly to their symbol of a wolf. Dresses in black, gray eyes and blond hair. Very aloof and antisocial, and very good at what he does. Remorseless for any kills he makes are for money. Cold and seems heartless to those who only meet him. Favors a dagger and crossbow as a weapon.

Elegy: A dhampir or half vampire, a true rarity in his profession as a arm for hire. Doesn't really know much about his father. A true split personality as he can be laid back and relaxed playboy then switch to a ruthless killer. Comes off as a real charm to the ladies. Brown hair and eyes, a scar running up and down his left eye.

I play a 29 year old white female NSA analyst...<respectfully snipped>...Her name is Kirsten.
51 in Wanderlust immediately leaps to mind.
Well this is from an old medieval rp me and a friend didSeth Boran: the eldest son of a clan of assassins and last of his line. Family tied very tightly to their symbol of a wolf. Dresses in black, gray eyes and blond hair. Very aloof and antisocial, and very good at what he does. Remorseless for any kills he makes are for money. Cold and seems heartless to those who only meet him. Favors a dagger and crossbow as a weapon.Elegy: A dhampir or half vampire, a true rarity in his profession as a arm for hire. Doesn't really know much about his father. A true split personality as he can be laid back and relaxed playboy then switch to a ruthless killer. Comes off as a real charm to the ladies. Brown hair and eyes, a scar running up and down his left eye.
Seth: Fenris Wolf, Death on A Pale HorseElegy: Casanova or Dracul.

I play a 29 year old white female NSA analyst...<respectfully snipped>...Her name is Kirsten.
51 in Wanderlust immediately leaps to mind.

Of course! Thematically perfect and it sounds lovely too!

Thank you very very much!!! It is perfect!

Alys Vorpatril = The Red Queen. I put that on this morning to try, and the smell just said "this is Alys." Even if it's not a perfume she'd necessarily wear; it's got a lot of olfactory associations, I suppose.

I have to say, I don't quite get the need for a scent to go with a character, but it could be that I have a lot of issues with certain scents (eg, anything even remotely floral, ozone/watery) so recommendations like "a Victorian lady would wear violet and rose" or whatever are fairly useless for me. I'd wear something I like, but that also reminded me of that character or what she would use.

More RP characters from the Medieval role play because you guys did an amazing job with my last two:

First the twins, Barkcon and Falcor:

Falcor: blonde hair blue eyed mage. The calmer of the two brothers and the most serious of the two. Favors elemental magic based around ice or water for attack and healing magic. Sees the world in a more realistic view of the world. Symbol connected with him is usually the sun and a hawk

Barkcon: Black hair green eyed mage. Hyper active with some trace of innocenece. Favors the elements of lighting and fire used mostly for attacking. Deeply devoted to his twin brother. Symbols usually connected with him are a snake and the moon.

And the rest:

Ardawn: A red haired violet eyed mage. A mentor for the two younger twins. Uses mostly fire magic but only for defense. Very deeply connected to the world around him and a very peaceful soul. Symbols are usually a tamed fire and a salamander.

Reday: a half demon with hair the color of ice and red eyes. Very shy and withdrawn creature, with a very deep love for Seth (see my first post here) who he sees as someone still attached to the old ways.

Tajha, I looked at your wishlist but at this point, not knowing what-all you've tried and not seeing a real clear pattern for your wishes as far as what group of scents you most favor, I'm doing this completely thematically.

>.> I'm kind of new about here... Just got my first order not too long ago, so I don't have too many things yet and there are so many different things I want to try! (Of course I may have went a little overboard with my first order, and they stuck in so many goodies on me that I have a lot more than I expected) I'm still in the process of feeling out what I like and don't like, so the completely thematic suggestions are just fine and much appreciated!

Thanks!

~Taj

I have a Water-Aspected Dragon-Blooded I used to play in a now (happily!) finished Exalted roleplaying game. Her name is Margot ("pearl" in French) and she is very delicate, sweet, and pious (she's also an excellent martial-artist).

Yay! Exalted!

I suppose this makes me think dainty aquatic floral.

Danube? Lady of Shallott? Water of Notre Dame?

Falcor: blonde hair blue eyed mage. The calmer of the two brothers and the most serious of the two. Favors elemental magic based around ice or water for attack and healing magic. Sees the world in a more realistic view of the world. Symbol connected with him is usually the sun and a hawk

if you're up for LE, grab some Archangel Winter before it's gone! Alternately, Sea of Glass for GC.

Barkcon: Black hair green eyed mage. Hyper active with some trace of innocenece. Favors the elements of lighting and fire used mostly for attacking. Deeply devoted to his twin brother. Symbols usually connected with him are a snake and the moon.

Shango springs immediately to mind, Eclipse, or Lightning.

Ardawn: A red haired violet eyed mage. A mentor for the two younger twins. Uses mostly fire magic but only for defense. Very deeply connected to the world around him and a very peaceful soul. Symbols are usually a tamed fire and a salamander.

If you are in the mood for a hunt, there was a LE oil Salamander, but in the GC Chimera, Dee or Ogun would be my first thought.

Reday: a half demon with hair the color of ice and red eyes. Very shy and withdrawn creature, with a very deep love for Seth (see my first post here) who he sees as someone still attached to the old ways.

Magus, Xiuhtecuhtli or Jezirat Al Tennyn.

glad the earlier recs were helpful!

I have to say, I don't quite get the need for a scent to go with a character, but it could be that I have a lot of issues with certain scents (eg, anything even remotely floral, ozone/watery) so recommendations like "a Victorian lady would wear violet and rose" or whatever are fairly useless for me. I'd wear something I like, but that also reminded me of that character or what she would use.

Winterwind, I personally like it because it helps make the character more...concrete to me, you know? Smell is so evocative, I think it helps me as a cosplayer or roleplayer kind of get in the mood to BE someone else, to make that visualization extend to my concrete senses as well as my imagination. That being said, something that's accurate but really unpleasant and jarring to me isn't going to help do that, I'd be too busy thinking 'ew' or sneezing or being headachy to think character. So when I'm reccing for someone else or choosing for myself, I do like to know if nothing else, what makes them run the other way or cross themselves in horror :P

Winterwind, I personally like it because it helps make the character more...concrete to me, you know? Smell is so evocative, I think it helps me as a cosplayer or roleplayer kind of get in the mood to BE someone else, to make that visualization extend to my concrete senses as well as my imagination. That being said, something that's accurate but really unpleasant and jarring to me isn't going to help do that, I'd be too busy thinking 'ew' or sneezing or being headachy to think character. So when I'm reccing for someone else or choosing for myself, I do like to know if nothing else, what makes them run the other way or cross themselves in horror :P

Word to that last bit!

My mind works differently than a lot of other people's, so it's not surprising that there's something I don't quite 'get' about this whole thing. Or that I come to things in a different way, like when I tried Red Queen the other day.

I don't RP or cosplay. I costume, but I don't cosplay. (For me, it's about making the costume accurately and well, as opposed to being that character.) So, again, not surprising.

if you're up for LE, grab some Archangel Winter before it's gone! Alternately, Sea of Glass for GC.

Shango springs immediately to mind, Eclipse, or Lightning.

If you are in the mood for a hunt, there was a LE oil Salamander, but in the GC Chimera, Dee or Ogun would be my first thought.

Magus, Xiuhtecuhtli or Jezirat Al Tennyn.

glad the earlier recs were helpful!

I LOVE YOU! I'm just ordered Archangel of Winter about a week ago!

.I need some advice for a good combo. I play an Assamite Loyal to the Mountain;a warrior. I want to find something that would work well. I have Morocco and while it has some exotic feel I don't feel it brings that assassin and warrior of the desert to it. Any suggestions as to what would compliment it well?

Here is an image of me as said character: derka2wl0.jpg

Edited by Mortarion

Mortarion, I'm not the number one go-to girl for recommending men's scents because I can't get my husband to wear BPAL (or any scent). But of things that I have tried on myself, Anubis came to mind for evoking death and the desert. It's resinous and spicy and definitely gender neutral (the notes are holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs). Ozymandias might be a good choice if you're looking for something that's on the more sophisticated end (vs. natural/earthy), although your character looks like he'd be more of an outdoors, roughin' it kind of guy. :P The description doesn't list the notes, and although I have heard some people compare it to Chanel No. 5 it smells very dry and masculine to me. (I'm sure you're already picking up on how different a blend can smell from one person to another from reading reviews and looking at threads here in Recommendations!)

Good luck finding something to inspire you!