Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the decant: Pineapple, mandarin, and rum. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's rum, raspberry, and pineapple. Once it's dry... maybe this decant hasn't aged well, but it's almost Irish Spring-type soapy. 

Okay, after I give it some time, the soapy quality backs off, and it's pineapple over... something fuzzy. Maybe like fruit notes over a light resin? The fuzziness is a quality rather than a distinct note. 

It's cute and bright without being overwhelming or cloying. It is also really skin-close on me. 

Ah, right, this is one that my skin just drinks up!

It goes on as a big burst of fruit - mostly pineapple, but with orange and the rest in there too - a huge swirl of sweet tropical fruit (with pineapple on top), and then it dries to a balance between that and a sweet rum, warm and boozy. I'd drink this, preferably on a beach somewhere!

And THEN it's just gone. Within maybe ten minutes I can barely find a whisper of scent on my arm. I put on my other two Luau scents (Mahana and Pahoehoe) at the same time to compare, and those two are still sticking around, but Riptide's scent's gone on vacation without me.

Out of the bottle, it is rum rum rum, with a bit of pineapple. As it dries down, though, the other fruits make themselves known. Definitely a fun and boozy sort of party scent. It has less throw than others from the collection I've had the privilege to smell, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

This one smells so so so green to me, like some kind of luscious green tropical fruits.  I read all of the reviews that say pineapple and rum, but I just don't get that at all - it almost smells like a Luper-esque mix of fruits to me.  My skin eats it up and I'm left with almost nothing by the time it dries down.  If I sniff very closely, I get a whiff of what might be some greenish raspberry?  

I wanted so very much to like this one, but it's just not at all what I expected it to be.  I bought it from a swap and it's fifteen years old at this point, so I guess aging has been less kind to this than to others.  I will use it up and enjoy it for what it is now, but it is not one I will hoard or seek out a replacement.