Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ciariel

Recommendations for simple blends

Returning to BPAL after 13 years working/living in a scent-free environment, and I'm not sure what to order. Somewhere along the way I've developed some scent sensitivities (sinus pressure/headache), and I'm not sure what the problem notes are.

I want to shot-gun test my sensitivities. I'm looking for a couple imp packs that would help me sample a broad variety of common BPAL notes but each in a simplish blend for ease of isolating later. I am not looking for a new favourite scent - that will come later!

I am suspicious of: spicy scents, evergreens/woods, and florals. My man-friend also thinks he gets headaches from vanilla.

Rose red 2008 was fine. Red moon 2007 and Brides of Dracula were not. Samhain 2007 and 2008 give me a headache sometimes.

(Mods, I hope this is ok here and not in the allergy thread).

Several of the imp packs the BPAL has put together are available on the site again, but you might also have luck looking for second-hand samples of duets and menages from the last couple of years.

A few simple (i.e. 2-3 listed notes) GC scents that come to mind are:

There are several GCs that are rose and like one other listed note: The Rose, Persephone, Whip, Harlot

Kumiho (ginger & white tea)

Carnal (mandarin & fig)

Darkness (Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh)

Depraved (black patchouli & apricot)

Neutral (skin musk)

Rogue (leather, hemp,  & rosin)

Shanghai (green tea, honeysuckle, & lemon verbena)

Definitely not an exhaustive list, but hopefully it's helpful.

Great list, @a_bear! I would add:

Haunted — black musk and amber 

Penitence — frank and myrrh

Sloth — vetiver and myrrh

Dirty — clean linen

Squirting Cucumber

Anne Bonny - Frank, sandalwood and patch (unless sandalwood and patch count as wood)

Here are some ideas, I  have included items with  4 notes or less that I have personally tried.:

• Hope and Faith: Sugared Rose & Sugared Violet respectively.
  • Constellation (bottles have to be bought through Haute Macabre, but I could send you a decant if you want to test it.): Egyptian Amber and sugar-spiked clove.
  • Owl Moon and Silky Bat (Have to be bought through Blood Milk Jewels, but again I can send samples): Honeyed Patchouli and Sugared Patchouli, respectively.
  • D'jed (Bought through Blood Milk Jewels, but I can send a sample): sandalwood, sweetgrass, white sage, sand.
  • High Strung Daisies:  Daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar.

I have some others that aren't available on the website anymore, but could possibly help you figure out notes that are doable. Happy to send samples:

• White Chocolate, Pink  Carnation,Coconut Cream, and Clove
  • The Air and the Ether: amber, ambergris, and lavender
  • Black Cherries, Vanilla Bean, Champaca--might help with testing vanilla?
  • Ghosts at Aldershot: Lemon Peppermint boiled sweets and Marshmallow

Sign in to follow this