Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An ink-black tangle of patchouli and vetiver roots dripping with amber sap surrounding a beating heart of myrrh, frankincense, gaïac, and red labdanum.

There is everything to love in this dark and tangled tale.

She hardly needed aging. Right from the mail, this bottle was incredible, but after a few days to rest, the beauty of each resin begins to truly pulsate. At its heart, I can sense Shadows and Light, the 2020 Lilith. They share no listed notes, yet the smoky shadows are there. There is perhaps a dark and murky vetiver behind both of these? The patchouli is a black-lipped Gothic stunner, both sophisticated and deeply rooted.

I adore frankincense, am new to gaiac (NOT garlic, thank the gods), and have a rocky relationship with myrrh and labdanum. None of them particularly stand out to me in the exquisite blending of resins here. A fabulous incense profile, heady and unified. I am getting a viscous motor oil vibe from Horn of Malediction that reminds me of Wasteland World. I immediately applied to compare. Horn outshines, with no leather to hide the smoky motor oil. It does remind me a lot of Streets of Detroit! One of my top 5 scents, so the similarity is a huge plus in my book. A touch of Amaxophobia too, with that menacing smoky "car breaking down" overtone.

The other comparison that had to be made was Malediction, which has as its listed notes "red patchouli and vetiver". Is it the base for Horn? If so, they have taken very different paths. The vetiver in GC Malediction lasts for days, through showers and sweating and swims. You have to be prepared to love its powerful vetiver. It is a long-term relationship. I don't know that Horn of Malediction has the same vetiver. I absolutely believe the red patchouli (a very lovable, warm, spicy patchouli) is combining with Shadows and Light vetiver and all those other fabulous resins. But if you don't love GC Malediction, still it's worth giving Horn a try, I believe.

In the end, this is one of the darkest, sexiest, smoothest new blends I've smelled from BPAL. It will lull you into the darkness of its forest and then tangle you in thorns. It makes me wish I had bought a second bottle, just to be safe. If you love any of the scents I just mentioned, you might just love Horn of Malediction.

Edited by starbrow

Ugh, everything said above. I have had this since release but just cracked it open today. Pairs beautifully (malevolently?) with a couple of drops of Man in Black beard oil smoothed on the ends of my hair. 

Dirty hippie scent is right up my alley! The patchouli is calm and self-possessed, not fresh and stanky, the vetiver joins the frankincense and myrrh in giving it more depth but none of the vegetal or scorch that most people hate nor any of the powderiness that the resins can leave, the labdanum perks the whole scent up with just a hint of effervescence, and then amber just kinda blurs through the whole thing adding warmth. It's a very grown up, give no fucks kind of scent.

If you hate vetiver, I don't think this will change your mind, but if you're on the fence, I'd give it a try.