Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Figure in the Attic Window

A pallid phantasm glimpsed through thick panes of leaded glass, easily mistaken for dust motes dancing in a single beam of moonlight: white frankincense, star anise, wormwood, and iridescent bergamot.

Not long out of the mailbox, but wanted to get at least a starter review in for this!

In the bottle: Light anise and frankincense. 

Wet on my skin: Pale, translucent frankincense and star anise, and something a little bitter emerges as it starts to dry. Wormwood?

Dry: This doesn't really change much as it dries down and wears. It's a pale, shimmery scent like a ghost, but a ghost made of frankincense and star anise, with a hint of bitter wormwood. The bergamot doesn't seem to be much in play as a top note, but there's a very gentle, warmer, citrusy undercurrent helping to carry the cool frank and anise and give it all that pale, ethereal feel. This scent doesn't have a ton of long-distance throw, but it's actually quite present and even strong within ~12 inches of the skin. For those who've tried Three Dayes from 2015, this is a lot like the top notes from that, without the opoponax/vetiver base to darken it. Very unusual, but also pretty and very much a *mood* scent. 

This was a bit of a risk for me. Lots of elements here can go really wrong, but somehow this is a best-case scenario for all of them! Tested from a decant that's been resting about a week.

Starts out really chilly. Almost minty cool and green with a hint of lemon. I'm 50/50 on lemon being a love or too like a cleaning product. The bergamot is a winner here for me, not sharp or shrill, but very close. I get a light powder from frankincense, but not the powder that can be a major turnoff for me, just soft and dusty. Anise is the last to appear for me, and it blends beautifully with the lemon. About 2 hours in and it's mellowed into a faint green spice.

This is one does well to capture the haunted house vibe. A shiver in the beginning and a lingering, warm hint of presence to finish. Lovely. 

Minty, almost lemony, bergamot with a whiff of frankincense, and honestly this is also giving me citrusy white tea vibes. So pale ghosts in the attic. Cool cool. Would be an amazingly cooling summer scent in the June Gloom. Medium throw and wear length.