Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Red Benzoin, Ylang Ylang & Tobacco

I love all of these notes but wasn't sure how they'd work together, so I at least wanted to give a decant a go. In the decant, it's dark, chewy tobacco sweetened up by the benzoin and ylang ylang -- for lack of a better way to describe it, it's almost like slightly indolic bubblegum. As it dries down, the tobacco becomes the dominant note on me and that weird bubblegum-esque scent disappears. It's the same kind of chewy, darkly sweet tobacco from French Tobacco SN, but the benzoin and ylang seem to tone down the astringency of that version of tobacco and make it just a little lighter and sweeter. Basically, think post-drydown French Tobacco without having to power through the astringent phase.

Soft chewy tobacco and benzoin. It does remind me of a softer version of French Tobacco SN. Medium throw and wear length.

On me, the tobacco is definitely the dominant note here - and I agree, it’s that same rich chewy one from the French Tobacco SN. But where the FT SN was very “golden” to me, here the tobacco is warmer and  softer thanks to the red benzoin which is a perfect compliment. Slightly woodsy, slightly sweet - it’s just tempering the tobacco beautifully, holding it back from turning this into The Tobacco Show. 

The ylang ylang is just quietly doing its thing, minding its own business, adding little glimpses of fruity floral sweetness but never taking over. 

I think this would appeal to people who like red musk but find it cloying, and people who like tobacco but find it too strong. This trio has some good throw, but it’s not as heady or heavy as other tobacco blends I’ve tried.