Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Tengu Demon Using His Nose as a Phallus

In the bottle, this smells like a lot of the darker BPAL red musk scents - nice, but pretty standard.  But once I put it on, I get a big ol' thrust of pepper right up the nostrils.  :ack:

Ok, I'm actually kind of digg'n it.  The sandalwood starts to come out once the pepper calms the heck down and there's a smoky quality to the whole thing.  Predominately though, this is a dark red musk blend with a pepper note that sticks around.  I bet it will age well.

Edited by VetchVesper

In the decant, I get mostly just red musk. On wet, the notes actually blend together on me and are surprisingly subtle. There's just some red musk and then everything else is indistinguishable from each other. After drydown I still get red musk as the base but am now able to pick out the sandalwood and black pepper from each other, and there's just a subtle smokiness to the scent. Even after drydown, though, everything seems kind of muted on my skin compared to what I was expecting. Even the red musk isn't particularly strong on me, and the black pepper doesn't really jump out. The scent is fine, but not something I'll need more of.

Two years of aging have done wonders for this naughty Tengu Demon. What used to be just a peppery red musk has developed in a decant size into something thickly musky and richly spiced, with a sheen of beautiful earthen smoke, as ambrette seed is wont to do. The black pepper keeps bringing dark pinpricks of zippiness into the landscape of red musk. (Somehow dark and bright both at the same time, like glittery black eyeshadow).

Meanwhile the ambrette seed and smoke (which is gentle, not bbq) aged into a stronger haze that's between leather and Terebinth pine in my perception: naturally smoky and curling grey at the edges. I find there is a warmth and an earthiness to ambrette seed blends, and that quality has gotten stronger over time here, melding with sandalwood into a deep, profound base to the fragrance. That, for me, definitely elevates Tengu Demon past usual red musks blends and sets it apart as something truly special.

Some may find the black pepper gives this scent a masculine quality. I find it more like a leather motorcycle jacket, sexy in different ways on a man and a woman. The rest of it would be enjoyed by the Smut crowd, I feel like! That's really the direction Tengu Demon Using His Nose as a Phallus is headed: aged Smut with black pepper and a mysterious shroud of smoke. So...gorgeousness.