Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous,
there shall be no more cakes and ale? 

— Sir Toby Belch

Hell yeah, we’ll have cakes and ale: honey cakes and stout.

Honey cakes and oat stout! This smells like dessert in an English pub. Gloriously honey and oat cakes, and stout. So British. Perfect for those of you that are both foodies and anglophiles. Good throw and wear length.

Wow.  This smells more like spice cake on me than honey cake.  I was hoping for something more akin to Feeding the Dead.  This is not it.   I amp the heck out of cinnamon, and apparently it's in here, beating me over the head.  :ack: I might be catching a few whiffs of ale, but my nose is too beleaguered to be sure.  For those who DON'T amp spices like a mofo, this would probably be great for Oktoberfest.   

15 minutes later, things have calmed down enough I can smell honey in the background.  It smells a bit buttery, golden, sort of like the note in Hymn to St. Brigid, but it's not as sweet.  This is more how it smells in the imp, but it's still spicing at me, and I'm not having it!  :nono: 

Alas, not for me.

Edited by VetchVesper

As someone who teaches Shakespeare and likes a good stout, I had to try this!

It's pretty much the same in the bottle and on me - it knows what it is! And what it is, is...a hearty sort of semi-sweet cake - not at all a frosting type cake, but something like an oat-cake or dense spice cake sweetened with a bit of honey. I don't get a lot of honey, but just enough to give it *some* sweetness. The ale is a dark cozy type, not sweet-boozy, but like ordering a good dark stout at our local craft brewery and breathing in right before taking a sip.

Good throw and awesome wear length, and I think it's scented the sleeve of my shirt! I like it - I think if it were a little sweeter I'd *love* it, but it's not quite there. It's a good cold-weather scent, though, and I'm glad I have a partial bottle for when I'm in the mood, or when teaching a comedy play!

The ale reads strong at first and very much dominated, but the dry down is worth waiting for. The cake and honey are softer but present. There is a touch of smoke somewhere in here as well.

This is simply damn good. Smells like I had a night at the local pub, got properly toasty on a thick stout, and then drunkenly fell asleep after eating a sweet honey cake in bed. 

If you like Smut and Cockaigne, and wish that they had a baby, and then that baby happened to like ale instead of the ambiguous booze, this is for you.