Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

FORMULA GGSG3: Gravedigger

Bay rum, tobacco, patchouli and a whiff of leather. This reminds me of a mix of De Sade, rolled through bay rum, chewy tobacco, and patchouli. So, DeSade as a pirate? Definitely masculine. Prepare to be boarded, tied with a rope, and whipped. Great throw and wear length.

I had no idea what sort of scents I would like until a bored exploratory order earlier this year, but Jolly Roger immediately jumped out as one of my favorites and I took a gander and ordered this on Etsy as the descriptions sounded somewhat similar and I loved the name. It became my all-time favorite BPAL scent as soon as I opened the bottle, and I had to order a backup immediately. It is a little reminiscent of Jolly Roger - a lot of similar notes that work well on my skin - but a much gentler version. The earthiness makes it a wonderful fall/winter scent, but I may find myself gravitating back to Villain in the spring and Jolly Roger in the summer. 

Gravedigger is a grungy tobacco wonder. The tobacco is strongest on me, entwined in leather and soil and a touch of spice from the bay rum, I’m thinking. The patchouli must be roughing it up some more, yet not obvious to me now. 

The drydown brings some of the vanilla smoothness to the mix and softens the whole masculine vibe. 
I feel like this is really great for the concept. I like it well enough, though I have been enjoying smoother and sweeter tobaccos more recently. 

So glad I finally snagged this decant, and will be content with this amount.