Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

The Complaint of Daphnis

If it be sinne to loue a louely Lad:
Oh then sinne I, for whom my soule is sad.

O would to God (so I might have my fee)
My lips were honey, and thy mouth a Bee.
Then shouldst thou sucke my sweete and my faire flower
That now is ripe, and full of honey-berries.

– Richard Barnfield

Animalic, sensuous, and fierce: juniper berry and patchouli with leather, black musk, burgundy pitch, and honey-berries.

Juniper, honey berries, whiffs of black musk and pitch. The leather is MIA. Honestly, this smells like a very clean (hey juniper and gin!) chypre, slightly soapy. Very gender neutral, but definitely a clean chypre for the men folk. Good throw and wear length.

In the bottle, this smells a little sweeter than I anticipated considering the previous review. The patchouli, musk, and the faintest touch of leather are a delicious, well-blended dry base--maybe with the pitch? I imagine that being a woody sap kind of scent. The juniper-honey at the top providing a kind of gentle powdery sweetness and bracing herbal-fresh note. If you fear fruits in your blend, don't worry about this one--the berries are clean and it's not cloyingly sweet or heavy. As it dries down, it also dries out, letting the juniper and pitch-infused patchouli come to the fore. This is kind of strange, as it still comes out kind of sweetened with just a drizzle of honey on fresh, slightly underripe berries at a distance but up close it's still powdery and dry. It doesn't last very long on my skin, which is fine, as the way it moves and changes is part of the fun of this scent!

Sniff: Slightly sweet, almost floral patchouli, and a soft musky base. It's very smooth and mellow. I can't detect the leather as much, it's definitely not a dominant note here. The honey and berries don't stand out too much either.

Wet: Now the juniper is coming out. It's really pleasant, not too sharp or strong, just a clean, fresh, herbal wave over the musk and floral tones. This is really growing on me - it's well balanced and blended. It's a sophisticated cologne for a spring hippy. 

Dry: After an hour or so, this settles into a dusty, deep black musk with just a hint of sweet. I really enjoy this one, it makes me feel all sorts of relaxed and comfortable.

Sweet honey berries and leather?

We have some tandeming going on that makes this smell different than expected.  There's bright juniper berry notable when wet, but it fades into the honey berries smell.   Black musk fades into the leather. Well blended but much lighter and natural cologne-like than expected.  Good though!

Soapy and floral are pretty apt. I didn't pick out any leather. I swapped this away pretty quickly.