Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Candlewight

Herbal, resin, dry and bitter

I've been scouting the directory and forums for a very particular scent, but haven't had much luck. I've only sampled Snake Oil, Gaueko, Hecate, Morocco and The Lights of Men's Lives, but I already know what I'm looking for and what I dislike! The only one of these I really liked was Hecate, and it disappeared on me after about 3 hours. Snake Oil, Morocco and even The Lights of Men's Lives were too sweet on me. Gaueko had a scent I wasn't quite into, but I liked it better than the others. I don't like heavy musks, soapy or watery scents, and especially dislike gourmands and florals.

I love myrrh, sage, cedar and nag champa.

I am particularly fearful that most resin scents are a little sweet, and most herbal scents are a little floral. Are there any mixes like these, maybe with other woody, incensey or dirty notes?

Hi, Candlewight --

You are in luck -- there are scents for EVERYONE. I recently tried Sloth -- myrrh and vetiver -- and loved it. The myrrh does have a little sweetness on me. But you like myrrh, and everyone's skin chemistry is different -- I tried something recently (and I wish I could remember what it was but I'll do a little looking and get back to you) and it had NO sweetness whatsoever on me. I want to say one of the Fortunas. But some of the reviews mentioned sweetness.

At any rate, you might find some excellent suggestions in this thread: http://www.bpal.org/topic/92250-im-going-to-be-difficult-anti-sweet-anti-floral-help/ Good luck!

If you like dry sage scents Djed (a retail exclusive so maybe a bit tough to find) might be worth trying!

I know it's not a perfume, however Rocky Mountain Goats hair gloss is a very strong herbal dry sage. I recall Shakarri being delightfully bitter and personally I did not find her aquatic nor sweet- the bitterness was very refreshing. 

General catalog scents you may enjoy:

*Thorns

*The Coiled Serpent

*Bram Stoker

Another option would be Twilight Alchemy Lab's Antehelion. Very herbal, astringent, slightly metalic and bitter. Combined with Blockbuster which is a dark and smooth herbal vetivert.

I love the TAL oils for their ritual purpose and for their satisfying herbal qualities. Good luck!

Sign in to follow this