Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

An Excerpt from Speculum Heroicum Principis Omnium Temporum Poëtarum Homeri

Brazilian vetiver, dark myrrh, peru balsam, laurel leaf, white sage, and cedar.

Myrrh, balsam, cedar and a touch of vetiver. This one is a very resinous blend with enough whiffs of cedar and smoky vetiver. There's a curl of sage coming through in the drydown. Slightly masculine, but definitely a mainly myrrh and balsam blend. Good throw and wear length.

This was the only Luper I bought this year, as it was a pretty sure bet. Smoky / woody / resinous is my jam, and all these notes are favourites, although myrrh can go a bit funny on me sometimes.

In bottle: Some cloudy sediment in there, had to give it a good roll. Smoky / spicy resins, along with a slight 'shampoo' vibe I always get from balsams - damn scent associations!
Wet: Ooh, this lurrrvely! Vetiver comes out immediately on my skin, quite strong, but tempered beautifully by the myrrh & balsam. Not getting much sage or cedar yet, but I expect they will show up later. Loving this! Smoky & dark with just a hint of sweetness from myrrh (& perhaps laurel? I'm less familiar with that note).
Dry: Took a long time to dry on skin, & went through first a powdery, then a bug-spray phase as it did. Now it is much softer than when wet. The vetiver has toned right down & it is sweeter, mostly myrrh & an almost benzoin-y balsam. Still nice, but I liked it better when the myrrh was less dominant. After an hour or so, the vetiver makes a resurgence along with the sage, adding some extra smokiness. The cedar is there, but so blended in to everything that I have trouble picking it out.
Final dry-down a couple of hours later was unfortunately mostly powdery, slightly sour/musty myrrh, but that is a chemistry thing & I am confident this will improve & gain complexity with age. Have only had this bottle a week or 2.

Dark, smoky, woody and masculine, with a dash of resinous sweetness. Massive hit for me. I like vetiver, & I think this is my favourite vetiver blend I've tried so far!

On me, An Excerpt is all about the vetiver. The forest notes form a backdrop to the smoky charge of vetiver, with soft myrrh playing around the edges, and everything softens together as it dries down. Definitely on the more manly end of unisex, and a great forcefield scent on days when you need a little extra personal power. Once it's dry, there's not a lot of throw on me (which is typical of my skin), but very good wear length. If smoky forest is your jam, this is hard to beat.

Bought this Feb. 2018. When I first opened & applied it I became overwhelmed with a tobacco smell. That is not an ingredient tho! It had a papery, dried tobacco, or papyrus smell. Wasn't bad, but I couldn't figure out when I'd be comfortable wearing it. Cpuldn't pick up other notes. So I put it in a dark chest to age, darling!

Aug, 4 2019: It smells heavenly. I'll describe it as a creamy, lightly spiced, wooden, dried paper, sage man-musk, with a delicate sweetness. I feel like the vetiver, balsam, & sage give it the chocolate-like impression I keep noting. As it dries out on the skin I'm left with more spicy musk notes like cedar, sage, with a light myrrh floating around.

A complex one, & kinda special/magickal to me! Makes me think of friendship, late nights with a book, & warm hugs!