Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fenharel

Blue, Bloody Supermoon: Lunar Eclipse

This month, an extraordinarily rare Blue Supermoon will rise and pass through the Earth’s shadow. During the full lunar eclipse, Luna will take on a blood red veil. This is the first time in 150 years that this triumvirate of Lunar phenomena will be visible in the Americas, and those in North America’s northern West Coast will have the best seats in the house for this show.

Crystalline blue musk, juniper berry, white tea leaf, and mugwort veiled by wild plum, shadow-dark vegetal musk, black sage, tobacco absolute, and a shroud of blood musk.

okay so this one is REALLY complicated - obviously, just look at that notes list! And the Lunar oils are always complex. In the bottle and wet on the skin it's sweet, juicy plum with a shroud of something minty (guessing that's a combination of the first four notes) and a little hearty musk in the background. Kinda gives me a fruity shampoo vibe, but with a dark twist (most perfumes containing plum or pomegranate just go fruity shampoo on me.) It's really weird, but it actually smells different on different areas of my skin? Like, whenever I test perfumes I do a little on the inside of my wrist and a little on the back of my hand. With this, back of my hand is pure sweet plum and inside of my wrist is sharp, cool, mint. As it dries, the blood musk blooms, sweet and warm and red. The plum stays and the sharp cold notes soften. A scent of extreme duality between red and blue, cool and warm. Surprisingly wearable.

Starts out minty and herbaceous. Sweet fruits start to poke their heads out. It is very confusing. Then the comforting sage and tea make things seem sleepy? I can see this being a good scent to go to bed with. Who knew that something with a name like this would be this mellow? I still can't pick out individual notes during drydown. I wouldn't expect juniper or tobacco to really pop out for those of you drawn to those notes. I think the musks end up being too sweet for me to enjoy it.

Plum, white tea, and musk. This one is a crystalline plum-musky blend. It smells like a dark night with a full moon. Very velvety. Great throw and wear length.

It took a few tries to really understand this blend; it morphs as much as the eclipse it is named for! It starts out as herbal-fruity-sharp, then fruity musk, then musk with a clarifying juniper and sage. It is lovely.

Blue, Bloody Supermoon is a tough one to describe. I was kindly granted a tester by a generous swap partner because I was intrigued (but also intimidated) by the list of notes. Mugwort and I do not have a good track record, and mugwort dominated the opening on me. Mugwort and sage and maybe a little juniper - strong dry herbals when wet, with the sharpness of tobacco possibly playing a role as well; otherwise I couldn't really pick out the tobacco. There's so much going on it's hard to make out individual notes. As it dried it got muskier and sweeter. On me the plum was more of a grounding sweetness than an identifiable plum, and the subtlety of three different musks was lost on me as well. It's complicated and lovely, and I'm so pleased I got to try it, but it's not the sort of scent I gravitate to.