Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
norsowideasachurchdoor

Help fix this scent! Feat. layering!

Credentials:

Just starting my BPAL journey--really, just starting my buying-my-own-perfumes journey. So far, I have negligible outright dislikes, just a lot of unknowns I can't imagine based on a description or pick out with my nose in a blend.

The History:

A few years ago, my cousin gave me an essential oil blend called Heart Song and a heart-shaped scent locket as a gift. Despite how excited I was at the time to receive it, I found myself still reaching for other scents, most of the time. Something about Heart Song just didn't click the way I expected. So instead of trying the "Romantic Atmosphere" and "Coping Mist" suggested on the side of the box, I've mostly used it to keep funky laundry scents at bay.

Now that I'm finally nosing my way forward in this world, I thought I'd better see what I can do about the conundrum.

The Conundrum:

All the notes in Aura Cacia brand's Heart Song are ones I hypothetically enjoy: lavender, coriander seed, geranium, and rose. However, all together, they achieve a dry, high-pitched herbal spice that puts me a bit on edge. I don't want to give up on the gift, especially when the ingredients are individually enticing; could layering save the scent for me? What sort of notes should I look for in BPAL descriptions in order to layer with poor Heart Song and sweeten and/or deepen the overall effect?

Gratefully yrs,

churchdoor

Something with vanilla perhaps? It would sweeten the scent & hopefully reduce the high-pitchedness plus it tends to work well with lavender & rose.

Something with vanilla perhaps? It would sweeten the scent & hopefully reduce the high-pitchedness plus it tends to work well with lavender & rose.

This was my initial thought, too. If you can get your hands on Single Note French Vanilla, that would be perfect but unfortunately it's a bit hard to come by.

Alternatively, you could try a blend with a nice base of vanilla or honey, and maybe some coordinating/complementing florals as well.

From the GC, maybe...

Mouse's Long And Sad Tale: "Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea, and white sandalwood."

Alice: "Milk and honey with rose, carnation, and bergamot."

O: "Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla."

Vanilla was my first thought too! Snake Oil is my favorite layering blend and the one I would recommend, good luck!

Thanks for all your prompt replies! Looking for vanilla in the unbidden imps that hitched a ride in my first order, I spot Belle Epoque, so I just gave that a whirl.

It's already working! The vanilla and mandarin are definitely mellowing Heart Song's sharp spice; now it evokes a milky Earl Grey tea. It's much improved, and the results certainly give me grounds to keep experimenting with different blends as my collection grows. I'm so pleased my essential oil and scent locket found a new friend. Thanks again for the suggestions; you softened my Heart!

Thanks for all your prompt replies! Looking for vanilla in the unbidden imps that hitched a ride in my first order, I spot Belle Epoque, so I just gave that a whirl.

It's already working! The vanilla and mandarin are definitely mellowing Heart Song's sharp spice; now it evokes a milky Earl Grey tea. It's much improved, and the results certainly give me grounds to keep experimenting with different blends as my collection grows. I'm so pleased my essential oil and scent locket found a new friend. Thanks again for the suggestions; you softened my Heart!

I'll totally throw in a Mouse's Long And Sad Tale imp into your package. :D

I'll totally throw in a Mouse's Long And Sad Tale imp into your package. :D

Hurrah for you and your thorough research! I'll make certain to report back how well it plays with wily old Heart Song.

Also give Dana O'shee a try with it, It isn't vanilla, but the sweet softness of it could calm down the sharpness of Heartsong. Plus it's just a great everyday, easy to wear scent.

Try it with Neutral (RPG). I use it to mellow Azathoth on days I'm not feeling sharp and pointy. The lab calls it a skin musk, but it smells more like tuberose to me. If it can mellow aged Azathoth, it can mellow just about anything.