Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
melodynamite

Pumpkin Chypre

A gleaming auburn chypre shot through with streaks of pumpkin.

This smells predominately like butterscotch, vetiver, and patchouli to me, with straps of gleaming black leather. It is the olfactory equivalent of drinking a tumbler of scotch neat, caramelized and raw with an aftertaste of peat. Or like eating candy in old study haunted by the ghosts of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway making out on the desk. Sexy, sophisticated, gender-bending.

The far dry down of Pumpkin Chypre is gorgeously huffable, but I still think it needs aging to come into its full glory. Strong throw and wear length. I received a rather startled compliment for this one, perhaps because I dont have anything else like it in my collection, but it is in roughly the same vein as other warm, brown, sultry scents such as The Antikythera Mechanism, Perversion, and The Old Goblin.

A deep pumpkin scent that isn't a spice scent! It's warm cooked Pumpkin, not a freshly carved one. A slow-roasted Pumpkin- in fact, I get a caramelized/caramel-like vibe from this, and a burnt-orange/caramel color impression as well. It's somewhat sweet, but not like a sugar-ladden desert, this is a subtle, natural sweetness inherent in the Pumpkin itself. I keep going on about the Pumpkin because that seems to be the dominant note on me and I don't how to describe what else is going on here, but it's not exactly food-y on me, but it is a little... pseudo-foody. It's sort of comforting, snuggly, warm... but sort of dark and mysterious and brooding, in an Autumnal way. Such a great Fall scent!

I get mainly chypre on wet, and as it dries, the pumpkin spices develop. It ends up as a cologney-pumpkin spice. After about an hour, I get a slight musk undertone. I am definitely amping up the chypre end of the entire thing and my guess is that this blend will vary greatly depending on whether you amp up either the pumpkin spice or the chypre. Definitely one of the more interesting Halloween blends that the Lab has put out this year. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: What an interesting mix! This chypre smells a bit like autumn leaves to me, only sweeter. The pumpkin spice is also sweet, but soft and not PUMPKIN SPICE!!! all up in your face. It's a really interesting blend of an earthy outdoorsy smell and a very gourmand smell.

Dry: I really do love this - it's dark and earthy, sweet and spicy. Really good. Not sure if I will need a bottle, but I am considering it.

The complexity of the chypre, in vitro, quickly turns to straight-up baking spices on my skin. The spices, especially the cinnamon, linger for hours. (I don't get any skin irritation from the cinnamon.) I am going to have to try this in a scent locket.

Updated: I tried it on skin again after the imp had settled at room temperature for a few days, and what a difference! Now I am getting the moss, more of the butterscotch aspect of the pumpkin, and other more grown-up aspects of the blend. It's really quite lovely -- still very gourmand, but with some dark depths.

Edited by Mountaingrrl

I was so curious about Pumpkin Chypre—the description of a pumpkin-y auburn chypre was compelling. The chypre category in perfumery is one I like, although not at the beginning of my perfume explorations—it took me a while to appreciate it. This is definitely a twist on the category. I get dry pumpkin, a touch of dead leaves, oakmoss, perhaps a drop of bergamot and lavender, and a breath of golden amber? It starts off 'cologney', as chypres do, but it quickly warms up to something sweeter on my skin. My husband smelled it on me and requested his own bottle. ;)

This is a beautiful, autumnal, non-gourmand pumpkin scent. I love chypres, and this one has the brassy, burnished, cologne-like vibe of a chypre overlaid with dry, toasted spices (I detect cinnamon) and smoothed out by round, sweet, roasted pumpkin flesh (but not bakery or foodie). It has killer throw and hella long wear length. I'm usually a dabber, but I accidentally slathered it on the back of my hand in the morning, and an hour later a co-worker entered my space and said, "Mmm, it smells like incense back here." She could smell it through her mask and at a distance. Definitely worth seeking out if you love non-foodie pumpkin scents or warm, spicy, leafy, ambery cologne-like scents.

Edited to add: This is an absolute beast. I put on a sweatshirt that I had worn days before and it still had traces of Pumpkin Chypre on the sleeves. Wearing the sweatshirt actually scented my skin enough to smell like I was wearing perfume even after I took the sweatshirt off. 😳

Edited by hhelix