Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Dead Words on a Dead Frequency

"You're dead, Mad Sweeney," said Shadow. "You take what you're given when you're dead."

"Aye, that I shall," sighed the dead man sitting in the back of the hearse. The junkie whine had vanished from his voice now, replaced with a resigned flatness, as if the words were being broadcast from a long, long way away, dead words being sent out on a dead frequency.

Tinny eucalyptus and elemi against a flat black backdrop of opoponax.

Minty elemi and white florals. This one is wispy and like an aldehyde. You get white, wispyness, and fragility. Good throw and wear length.

Another American Gods that I expected to be heavier, but I can't smell the opoponax or resin at all. I get a crisp, lemony, pine-y sort of scent that I think is the elemi, along with some extra, medicinal, menthol chill from the eucalyptus. It's bracing and a bit masculine to my nose, but it doesn't have a lot of throw and fades quickly.

Received DWoaDF as a swap frimp - it is not the sort of thing I would ever have chosen for myself. But I had to try it regardless. Wikipedia informs me that elemi has a sharp pine and lemon-like scent, which is probably why it goes on like Pine-Sol, and the eucalyptus only adds to the medicinal cleanser vibe. Nothing feminine about this one.

I resisted the urge to scrub it off and gradually it got darker and sweeter as the opoponax emerged and the sharp notes of elemi and eucalyptus faded away. So it's much more wearable, in my book, after 30 minutes or more. Still not something I would reach for, but I'm always curious to try the more out there creations. I think this might go better on a man than it does on me.

This one is actually rather light and refreshing. The cool eucalyptus dominates on me throughout wear, backed by the somewhat lemon-y, pine-tinged elemi. I can detect some of the opoponax in the background by the end of the day, but it is not a main player on me.

I'm not sure I need a bottle of it, but I'll definitely be hanging on to my decant to wear when I'm not feeling well or need that refreshing eucalyptus. :)