Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mrs.Black

BPAL oils that repel bugs, flies, mosquitoes, bees, insects?

I need to get Pain. I was going to leave out "to get," but I didn't want to tempt fate. :lol:

I have a bug repellent from someone on Etsy and it seems to work for fleas as well. It smells of lavender, but I don't know if it has pennyroyal in it and her description does not list any notes. I should ask her.

Pennyroyal also will work to take the itch out of the bite, but lavender works for that purpose as well.

bumping this as summer comes along! I'm going camping in a week and would love to hear more about what people have used!! I've already got my imp of Mad Hatter packed :)

Necrobump. It's a terrible year for cat fleas in King County, WA. I don't even have a furry pet, & the little bloodsucking bastards are getting into my home to bite me.

I'm wearing socks treated with straight-up lemongrass essential oil, & remembering how disappointed I was when I tried Namaste. The lemongrass overpowered all the other notes, & never died down. Now since I am reeking of lemongrass anyway, I think I'm going to hunt up a few discounted imps of Namaste & Mad Hatter. Maybe Pain too, although it's discontinued.

I think Anesthesia is similar to the discontinued Pain? Anyways, I can attest that lavender oil by itself is a bee magnet, they love it. My partner loves lavender oil but he's been visited by both bees and wasps when he wears it. Fortunately, not stung. Not sure about mosquitos and lavender, but they don't like citronella. And bees like lemongrass, so I'd avoid that!

Mad Hatter with it's potent pennyroyal is probably the best?

https://www.anniesremedy.com/chart_remedy_insect_repellents.php

Edited by sprout

Yeah, pennyroyal on my socks has done the trick in the past. Straight-up lemongrass essential oil is pungent & long-lasting on socks, & left a decorative orange ring around my ankles, but didn't protect me 100%. I got a big ol' bite behind my knee :-(.

Edited by Teamama