Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
plexaure

Scents with similar notes to Oblivion? (+ other suggestions as well!)

Oblivion is one of those scents that caught me massively off-guard. There was a frimp of the oil in my very first order from BPAL, and I put off trying it for the longest time, mostly due to the somewhat disconcerting color of the perfume itself. (It's quite literally olive green, if you haven't gotten your hands on it just yet.) The site's description was also something that made me a bit wary.

Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron.

While I had a little bit of experience with picking out some scent notes due to having been a patron of Lush for about a decade now, I had no idea what to expect. Musk, spices, saffron- all of those were far from anything I'd tried before.

Then one fateful day I basically just thought fuck it to myself, and tried putting some on. And I fell in love, pretty much instantaneously.

On my skin, something about this perfume just about blossoms; the scent goes sweet without being sugared, incredibly warm with the spices, and dark enough to keep some interest. It isn't traditionally masculine at all, but neither is it traditionally feminine. It's beautiful and cozy, for the most part, with just a hint of a cold edge, and that's a combination I really like.

But the thing is- I'm not sure what, exactly, it is that's working so damn well on my skin. (I tend to have weird chemistry, which just adds another layer to my problem. For example- the last time I tried Snake Oil, it went downright sour on my skin. I'll have to try it again sometime soon, seeing as scents do change with age & your personal body chemistry, but it wasn't particularly pleasant, and it was a pain to scrub off. :cry2: And by now I've learned that I tend to have the same problem with most of BPAL's vanilla notes [at least that I've tried so far] in that they also tend to turn a bit sour, and it's very disappointing because I absolutely adore vanilla. Then, for another example, Miskatonic University turned into some sort of straight-up death note on my skin- I can't even begin to describe how disappointing that was. I'll probably still give it a second chance sometime in the future, just because I had such high hopes for it. And for one more example- Azathoth turns into straight-up root beer on my wrists. Initially, at least.)

Anyway, I digress.

I'd prefer GC scents for imp-testing purposes, but if you can think of a suggestion that instantly comes to mind and it's not GC, feel free to post it anyway! I just know that I'll be able to place an order on the BPAL site sometime in the very near future, which is why I figured I might as well post, to see if I can get any suggestions. :D

I'm really not particularly picky about notes- hell, I'd even try more vanilla scents (as I'm planning to with the lupers this year) if there was some faint, scant hope that they might work on me.

I do know that musk works very well with my chemistry, at least, so I suppose that could be something to go off of?

A short list of some of the scents that I like, seeing as the ones listed on my profile are a bit out of date:

• Dorian
  • Dana O'Shee
  • Black Phoenix
  • Dragon's Musk (I think? It's been a while since I tried this one, oh dear.)
  • Dragon's Hide (I tried both this and Dragon's Musk at the same time, and while I remember liking them both very much, there was one that I liked more than the other. And I can't for the life of me remember which.)
  • Ogygia
  • Himerus
  • Seraglio
  • Akuma
  • The Bow & Crown of Conquest
  • Hod: Resurrected

There're plenty more, but those are some of the main scents that're sticking out to me at the moment.

And for reference, here're some scents with musk notes that I have imps of, but still have yet to try. (One can only try so many perfumes in a day, gosh diddly darn it.)

• Morocco*
  • Hecate
  • The Isles of Demons
  • Katharina
  • Mary Read
  • Old Demons of the First Class
  • Robin Goodfellow

(* On the top of my to-try list. I can't believe that I've had an imp of this just sitting around and I haven't tried it? Spices and carnation and musk, oh my. Three of my favorite notes. Please, ye gods of old, let it work with my chemistry. Please.)

(I might've tried this one, but if I did, it was long enough ago that I can't remember my impression of it. Fairly sure that if I did, however, I liked it, seeing as it doesn't stand out as any kind of predominantly "ew" or "just kind of eh" scent to me.)

( I think I might've tried this one as well, but if I recall correctly, it was on a day that I was beginning to get a headache, and I had to wash it off not so much because it was unpleasant, but because any and all scents were making my head start to feel worse, oh dear.)

I also have a spreadsheet with all of my current imps/bottles right here- note that the ratings are very outdated, however; I've tried more than I've put ratings down for on the chart. (I always seem to forget to update it, not to mention that I ought to add a column for notes, to jot down the reason for giving the scent whatever rating I put down.)

Anyway, this post is getting ridiculously long. Suggestions are extremely appreciated! Thank you! :wub2:

(P.S. Don't be afraid to try suggesting totally off the wall scents! I'm always up for trying new things, and veering out of my comfort zone. I mean that's what happened with Oblivion [and Dorian, Dana O'Shee, and Ogygia], and look how that turned out. :wub3: )

Have you ever tried Le Lethe? I think you would really enjoy it, it's one of my most favorites of all time. The notes are: Red musk and sweat-damp golden skin musk with labdanum, golden amber, nutmeg, tobacco absolute, black orchid, and hemlock accord.

I also recommend:

Sed Non Satiata- myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk.

Kill-Devil- Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

Kubla Khan- Through sunlit caves of ice, roses unfurl amidst dancing waves of serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine.

Scherezade- Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

If you wanted to take a look at LE blends I recommend:

Creeper Dragon- daemonorops, green leather, and red musk with dribbles of honey and white cream.

Edited by Haltija

Oblivion was also a complete surprise for me - I got it as a free imp from the lab. And it does that wonderful thing as soon as it hits skin! I'm pretty sure it's the dark musk that does that.

The GC scent I find most similar is Sed Non Satiata. It is Oblivion's sweeter, more sensual sibling. Basically imagine Oblivion but lighter on the spice and a bit honeyed and resinous.

The other scent that is close (but not quite as close as Sed Non Satiata) is Magus. It's a little drier and woodier.

I'm getting a tester of Mars Rigonemetis from this year's Lupers - it has dark musk in it, and I'm hoping it will be similar. I'll let you know how it smells as soon as I test it.

Other scents which have less in common but you might like anyway:

Coyote - this one was discontinued last time I looked, but It might be available on the forums. It has Golden Musk with sage and sweetgrass and has always smelled like lying in sunlight to me.

Mary Shelley - If you like the green-ness of Ogygia and the spice/musk if Oblivion, this has a little of both. Here's the lab's description: "the scent of absinthe, lightning, stormclouds, and laudanum crashing through a veil of soft Victorian oriental perfume" .

Antony - Green somewhat like Ogygia, but also super musky and leathery. I think the leather in this and the leather in Dragon's Hide might be similar. "The embodiment of Classic masculinity. A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil."

Have you ever tried Le Lethe? I think you would really enjoy it, it's one of my most favorites of all time. The notes are: Red musk and sweat-damp golden skin musk with labdanum, golden amber, nutmeg, tobacco absolute, black orchid, and hemlock accord.

I also recommend:

Sed Non Satiata- myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk.

Kill-Devil- Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

Kubla Khan- Through sunlit caves of ice, roses unfurl amidst dancing waves of serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine.

Scherezade- Saffron and Middle Eastern spices swirled through sensual red musk.

If you wanted to take a look at LE blends I recommend:

Creeper Dragon- daemonorops, green leather, and red musk with dribbles of honey and white cream.

I actually haven't tried any of those, though Scherezade has been on my must-try list for a pretty long time now- I just haven't gotten around to purchasing an imp yet. And, as far as Creeper Dragon goes, I actually was able to get a bottle!

(My fianceé actually bought me a fairly large BPAL haul as a belated Christmas/Valentine's Day present, since she wasn't able to get anything for me at the time, and by "fairly large" I mean she bought nine of the lupercalia scents for me. My god. Thankfully, her birthday is coming up in a few days, so I think I'll have a bit of a chance to repay her, seeing as I'm planning to make her some hand-crafted jewelry, themed after things that she's fond of. [i actually need a bit more cording for two of the pieces I'd like to make for her, since I can't find any that's thin enough at home, even though I thought I had some. I should be good on supplies for the largest piece, however, which I've already got fairly planned out.] I really ought to start on that, since her birthday is on the 19th, I'll have to ship it a considerable distance to get it to her, and I don't want it to be too belated, but anyway, yeah. I'm beginning to digress very badly.)

There were quite a lot of imps with the order, actually, and some of them sound very promising- I updated my BPAL chart with the ones that came with the bottles, along with adding some notes to some of the ratings/adding a few ratings themselves, and I'll list the new imps at the end of this post.

Also, all of those sound lovely, and whenever I get an imp haul (which is inevitable, basically, at some point after I'm able to find a job), I'll most likely end up with all of those on the list. :wub2: (It might be a while, but hey, I'm a relatively patient person, and I really do appreciate the suggestions.)

Oblivion was also a complete surprise for me - I got it as a free imp from the lab. And it does that wonderful thing as soon as it hits skin! I'm pretty sure it's the dark musk that does that.

The GC scent I find most similar is Sed Non Satiata. It is Oblivion's sweeter, more sensual sibling. Basically imagine Oblivion but lighter on the spice and a bit honeyed and resinous.

The other scent that is close (but not quite as close as Sed Non Satiata) is Magus. It's a little drier and woodier.

I'm getting a tester of Mars Rigonemetis from this year's Lupers - it has dark musk in it, and I'm hoping it will be similar. I'll let you know how it smells as soon as I test it.

Other scents which have less in common but you might like anyway:

Coyote - this one was discontinued last time I looked, but It might be available on the forums. It has Golden Musk with sage and sweetgrass and has always smelled like lying in sunlight to me.

Mary Shelley - If you like the green-ness of Ogygia and the spice/musk if Oblivion, this has a little of both. Here's the lab's description: "the scent of absinthe, lightning, stormclouds, and laudanum crashing through a veil of soft Victorian oriental perfume" .

Antony - Green somewhat like Ogygia, but also super musky and leathery. I think the leather in this and the leather in Dragon's Hide might be similar. "The embodiment of Classic masculinity. A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil."

I actually have an imp of Magus sitting around in my bullet box right now! I'll have to try it sometime soon, and Sed Non Satiata sounds really lovely, especially since it's been recommended in both posts now. :wub3: Please do let me know how Mars Rigonemetis turns out! I initially passed by the Mars scents while picking out my lupers, but considering the fact that all three of lupers I've tried from this year's collection have turned out gorgeously, I might have to go give the scents a second look-through, before they're discontinued. (I very much want a bottle of Aristocratic Couple, but it was out of stock when my fianceé placed the order and I was worried about not being able to get the lunacy scent before it was discontinued, so I decided to get Venus Callipyge instead- I can never resist the lure of anything with carnations, and just from the sniff I've taken, I'm looking forward to trying this one.)

I'm not sure whether this is the same scent or not, but there is indeed an oil called Coyote on the main site- it's here. And honestly, regardless of whether it's the same (or not), it still sounds fantastic, my god. Definitely something I'd like to try.

Mary Shelly has piqued my interest before, but I've never gotten around to trying it just yet. It sounds very promising, though, because I do very much like both the spice and musk of Oblivion, and how bright and green Ogygia is.

Then Antony is one that I've looked at before- the ambergris makes me a bit nervous, as that's not really a note that I've tried before, and so I'm a bit hesitant. If it's green and musky and leathery, however, that greatly ups its appeal factor in my eyes, the nervousness in regards to ambergris notwithstanding. I'll have to go look through the review threads for both this and Mary Shelly, and most likely Coyote as well.

And now, the scents that came with my order- ones marked with an asterisk, I already had an imp of:

• Aglaea
  • Alecto
  • Alice*
  • Baobhan Sith
  • Bard
  • Bewitched
  • Bordello
  • Cleric
  • Cordelia
  • Dana O'Shee*
  • Dee
  • Druid* (However, I haven't even tried my initial frimp from some time last year. Whoops.)
  • Florence
  • Machu Picchu
  • Morocco*
  • Pontarlier
  • Two, Five, and Seven*
  • Yemaya

(I think that's all of them.)

Edited by plexaure

How are you liking Creeper Dragon since you were able to get a bottle. Was it one your fiancé picked out for you? What were all the ones she got from the Lupers? A ton of them have been huge winners this time around. One of them that was a surprise hit for me just so happens to be Venus Verticordia :thud: Just beautiful!

I can chime in about Mars Rigonemetis. It's a masculine scent to my nose but not overpowering knock you over masculine. A earthy, green masculine scent. I love forest-y type blends myself but this smells like a forest and a bit of cologne. Not one scent tends to overpower the other one.

I can put in a bit of feedback about Mary Shelley. I love licorice/anise type notes in fragrances now and I didn't when I first started my BPAL journey and to me the licorice vibe is very subtle. It almost has the same spice notes I find in Red Lantern and I think it adds a richness and a mysteriousness to the overall feel of it. It smells like one would imagine Mary Shelley herself sitting in a study writing her latest masterpiece and there is a lightning storm outside the windows and she is drinking a cup of black tea. It's magical!

Edited by Haltija

How are you liking Creeper Dragon since you were able to get a bottle. Was it one your fiancé picked out for you? What were all the ones she got from the Lupers? A ton of them have been huge winners this time around. One of them that was a surprise hit for me just so happens to be Venus Verticordia :thud: Just beautiful!

I can chime in about Mars Rigonemetis. It's a masculine scent to my nose but not overpowering knock you over masculine. A earthy, green masculine scent. I love forest-y type blends myself but this smells like a forest and a bit of cologne. Not one scent tends to overpower the other one.

I can put in a bit of feedback about Mary Shelley. I love licorice/anise type notes in fragrances now and I didn't when I first started my BPAL journey and to me the licorice vibe is very subtle. It almost has the same spice notes I find in Red Lantern and I think it adds a richness and a mysteriousness to the overall feel of it. It smells like one would imagine Mary Shelley herself sitting in a study writing her latest masterpiece and there is a lightning storm outside the windows and she is drinking a cup of black tea. It's magical!

I actually haven't tried it yet! I'm going to sometime soon, however, seeing as in the bottle it smells absolutely fantastic. :lovestruck: I actually picked out all of the scents, since she's not really into BPAL. Or, not into BPAL yet, anyway. Out of the lupers, I got-

• Creeper Dragon
  • For Each Ecstatic Instant
  • Liaison
  • Red Lantern
  • Venus Callipyge
  • Venus Libitina
  • Comparison of Celebrated Beauties
  • The Wet Nurse and the Old Monk

along with the lunacy scent for March, seeing as I really adore basically all of the notes listed, my god. :wub3: I'll definitely update once I've tried Creeper Dragon, though! I tried Red Lantern earlier, actually, and I think I'm in love.

I don't really mind the scent of cologne, so I might have to see if I can get my hands on a decant of it at some point. There're still a few more lupers that I really want to blind buy full bottles of, though. :cry2: Last year, it was right when lupercalia rolled around that I actually first got into BPAL- the first bottles that I bought were two lupers (Love and Sleep, along with The Elephant's Leash, which I really wish I had a backup of), and Peninsula Delioiorum.

(Honestly, I have a tendency to blind-buy limited edition bottles, rather than getting decants. The thought of possibly missing out on getting a full bottle of something glorious is too hard to ignore, I think, though I'd consider getting decants of scents that aren't at the top of my blind-buy bottle list. I do get imps of GC scents well before I get bottles, however, since the imps tend to last an extremely long time. I still have a tiny bit left of the imp of Oblivion that came with my first order, actually, and that's after using it a hell of a lot before investing in a bottle, and managing to spill, well, the majority of it at one point. That was a horrifying day.)

And now I definitely do want to try Mary Shelly, oh dear. I need to get a job. :thud:

(Though I'm actually working on that, but I'll refrain from starting to explain because then I'll go off on a dozen unrelated tangents and will end up making this post two or three times longer than it needs to be.)

OK! I got Mars Rigonemetis! And I did a little bit of a mini-test! Haven't got through the whole dry-down cycle yet, but I can give you some idea of what it smells like though.

It definitely has similarities to Oblivion. It has that same amazing musk & woods thing going on as soon as it hits skin. There's little hints of very green, sappy ivy that show through here and there, but they're not that big. which is surprising because in the bottle it was *all* ivy. I think the ivy is starting to come back a bit as it dries down, though. There's also a hint of something like a beeswax candle here? Which wasn't in Oblivion.

And this isn't as spicy as Oblivion.

Re: Antony - Amergris usually does really funky things on my skin, so usually I notice it. But I didn't really notice any in Antony. The one thing that maybe puts me off of it is it's pretty "OMG! Leather!" - really raw and strong. But if you are into that, you might find that to be a plus.

Edited by Cactus

I'll have to try those sometime as well! Also, update on Creeper Dragon- it very much reminds me of Dragon's Hide or Dragon's Musk. The leather and musk notes are very much like the leather and musk notes in those two scents, but softened out by the cream & honey notes. At first, though, when it was wet on my skin, it was basically just "OMG MUSK" and it took a little while for the rest of the notes to come out. My god, though- it's really nice, and I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you like Dragon's Hide or Dragon's Musk.

Oblivion *is* so interesting! Here are others that I found to have some similar themes that you might also like:

Tezcatlipoca *don't be scared off by the cocoa, that scent burns off pretty quickly as it dries. This is really good.

Bezoar

Luperci

Pais de la Canela

Antony

Greed

Fascinum

It's strange, you (OP) and I seem to have identical scent loves, except for Oblivion, which was not so good for me, but now I'll have to try it again...I love most of the GCs you do, except for Dana O'Shee which is not great. And, we ordered the same Lupers.

Here's some you might like, if you like that Oblivion thing, which on paper sounds like I would love it, I just have tested it and not so much, but hey... maybe I was having an off day.

I'd say try

Omen

Ouija

Masquerade (has the same patchouli, dirty, with fruitiness)

Laudanum (this had a similar feel to me, but I may be crazy they don't share any of the same notes?)

Sign in to follow this