Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White patchouli, oudh, vanilla absolute, copaiba balsam, pepperwood, and champaca flower.
  • ITI: I've already used this a few times, but each time I smell it, it reminds me of a wooden cabin in the middle of the Pacific Northwest. The wood is mild and sweet, but also steeped in delicious, earthy patchouli. Unlike most patchouli scents, this one is not overbearing, but balances brilliantly with the champaca, oudh, and copaiba balsam. The vanilla exists as a middle tone in the bottle, which reminds me of scented candles illuminating the wooden cabin at dusk.
  • Wet: On my skin, the patchouli and pepperwod are much stronger, almost to the point of smelling like recent construction, laced with vanilla faint champaca, and just a touch of patchouli. It's interesting how much it's changed from the bottle, but I do hope that the resins amp up a bit more in the dry-down stage.
  • Dry: Now that it's dry, the force of the woods have mellowed considerably, allowing the vanilla - warm and creamy - to soar along with the champaca and balsam, while the oudh and pepperwood settle to low-middle notes and the patchouli adds just enough sweet earthiness to temper the other notes, creating a scent that is as evocative as it is peaceful.

In the bottle: Very woody, like the lumber section of a hardware store.

Wet on my skin: As this goes on, it's mostly strong, rich wood and patchouli, with just a hint of the vanilla.

Dry: Oh my goooooodness. I had really wanted a bottle of this as soon as I discovered the Metamorphosis scents, and this exceeds my expectations. It's a gorgeous woody-smoky-vanilla with patchouli, fuzzy light brown with a hint of green in my mind. This actually reminds me a little of yucca/cactus flowers, but then I realise it's actually also a cousin of Ask the Nearest Hippie, sans hemp and cannabis. There is just enough balsam and oudh to sharpen the woody undertones, but on me, the stars of this show are the smoky vanilla, champaca, and patchouli. Gorgeous. I'll need to track down another bottle of this someday.

Yucca Giant-Skipper is probably my favorite butterfly. It's a bit surprising, because it's so woods-forward and that's not normally my #1 jam, but the white patchouli, champaca, and vanilla absolute are total magic with the oudh, balsam, and pepperwood. It's like a split of wood in heaven. I agree that this has the same vibe as Ask the Nearest Hippie or Revenant Rhythm, although it's its own tender beast. It's also ridiculously relaxing...I tend to pull this out when I need my blood pressure to go down a few clicks. I think it would make an amazing meditation or sleep blend.

A very kind friend gave me some of this, knowing I like patchouli.

Wet: The patchouli in this is different - I think it mixes seamlessly with the pepperwood to create this dry, woody, peppery scent that is so unique. The vanilla adds some sweetness. It's a little resinous, a little incensey. It's a really neat scent.

Dry: This is just so interesting! A little sweet, a lot woody. A bit dry. And peppery! It makes my nose tingle, but in a good way.

I think this may be the power of suggestion, but something about this blend says 'insect' to my nose, like a prettier, more palatable version of that smell you get when you keep a bug in a jar or hold an insect in your hand. This smells buggy to me, but it is. So. Good.

So my favorite of the Unicorns this year was Of The Unicorn, hands down, and this must have the same patchouli in it because it scratches that same itch. It definitely doesn't smell quite as fancy or expensive--Yucca has an earthier tone, but you still get the woods and the patch and the mild sweetness, plus that flat-out AWESOME buggy scent that keeps making me double-take. This SMELLS like a butterfly and reminds me of my favorite unicorn--I love it to bits.