Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Wren12

Wolf Moon 2013

This scent is that of unending, unquenchable hunger and feral madness. This is the dead of winter: a frozen night, chill wind, and the sharp, warm perfume of blood, fur, fang, and claw. Winter air, Terebinth pine, juniper berry, dusty orris, deep amber, brown musk, white sandalwood, black cypress, blue cedar, Siamese benzoin, white tobacco, and tonka.

ITB: A cool herbal scent, no notes immediately jump out, but it's very nicely blended.

On Wet: Pretty much the same. A chilly herbal scent kissed with wintery pine and a slightly sharp tang from the juniper. As it warms a bit the juniper becomes more prominent. It's like the gin note in Velvet Punk Kitty, slightly sweet juniper...maybe from the benzoin and Tonka.

Dry: Still has the chilly top note, and the juniper and pine bloom into a lovely, fresh scent, definitely evocative of a wood in winter. Not Christmas tree-y at all, it's very nice. Under this is the wonderful sweetness from the benzoin and tonka, which keeps it from being all Hells Acres Yule Tree Farm. I'm not getting the vanilla surge that I sometimes get from benzoin, but it's sweetness is very nice. I love musks, but brown is one that I've had issues with in the past amping into something über spicy ( Werepuppy I'm looking at you) but not at all in this blend. In fact I can barely detect any musk in this blend at all. Perhaps it is adding to the sweet undercurrent I'm detecting, but it's definitely not animalistic at this point.

All in all, I'm very glad I sprang for a full bottle of this. It's amazingly well put together, and very much more than the sum of its parts. I adore the dry down, it's much more complex than the wet phase. I wonder how aging will change this baby.

ETA: An hour or so after application the pine and juniper calm down and the musk peeks its head out. Its not that spicy brown musk, but a nice warm furry musk that balances the sweetness and cold from the earlier notes. So good.

ETA2: so, wanted something comforting today, and the furry warmth mixed with the chill of this wonderful blend was just perfect. It's not a warm fuzzy hug type of comfort but a "I have the power and fierceness to get through whatever I've got to" kind of comforting, comfortable strength, as opposed to aggressive strength, does that make sense? I keep liking this blend more and more every time I wear it. I think I'm bummed I only bought the one bottle as it is just enchanting. Edited by Wren12

Starts out with a cold blast, potentially eucalyptus based? and that almost skin-sweet pine and juniper blend that is so often "night air" (Hexennacht springs to mind). The coldness begins to die down and the warmer, furry notes come forward-- dusty orris and brown musk, that as Wren said is not too spicy here. I cant really pick out any cedar or tobacco, and the sandalwood/resinous notes must just be holding everything together because they arent obvious. I'd say this scent, which has a long note list, can be divided into two general feelings: the initial cold air and woods blast, and the later creeping furry warmth. The two scents alternate and swirl around each other, and that gives a wonderful and evocative impression.

This is really gorgeous and fun :wub2: And I love the drawing on the label.

I would also add that this is in the same family as the recent Beaver Moon II, with the combination of winter air and warm furriness.

Wet:eucalyptus, slight pine, herbally scent...dark and nice. Dry: pine, orris, cedar, and musk are amped like crazy...nice, but cologne-like at this point. I like it, but don't love it; however, the bf thinks its great on me ^_^. Staying power is 6-7 hours on me.

Edited by Jangzonrice

Wolf Moon 2013 was cuddly pine and fur. In alot of ways, it made me think of the Emerald Comic Con exclusives, but I much prefer the pine + cold fur combination of Wolf Moon.

A blast of chilly, night air in the forest on first application. Eucalyptus, pine, and juniper. Its cold and dark.

As it dries down warm, furry elements come out underpinning the cooler elements beautifully.

Not much more to say except that the description is spot on. Love it!

The first 04 Wolf Moon smelled like pine, aquatic and musky florals to me. 06/07 was powdery, cologne-like black musk and weird, sweet herbs. 2011 was snow note and baby powder.

2013 doesn't list the black musk of the 06/07 and none of the black spruce, maple leaves or ambrette seed listed in the 2011. It adds in white tobacco.

Not that any of that really matters. 2013 smells mainly of sharp, sour pine that's cold and menthol-like. It reminds me of a medicinal rubbing ointment for sore muscles. The drydown sees some warm, baby powdery amber and sandalwood coming through, but I never smell any tobacco. None of the Wolf Moons have really worked on me.