Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thekittenkat

Dead Leaves and Desolation Candle

A barren grove, silent. Dry, crumbling oak leaves dance through the skeletal, grasping arms of ancient trees.

I sniffed the candle wax first before I lit the wick. This reminds me a bit of the recent Oak Moon and a bit of Falling Leaf Moon, but sweeter and more aquatic than either of those two.

Once lit, the candle is still reminding of those two lunar scents, but there's a mixture of fresh leaves, still on the tree, and leaves that have just fallen to the ground, perhaps dashed there by an autumn storm. There's still that sweet coolness in the air. No dirt, not really woodsy in feeling, just lots of leaves, freshly-fallen and still clinging to the branches.

I do like it a lot. :wub2:

The scent reminds me so much of last year's Sonnet d'Automne. It has the exact same syrupy thick, mushy dead leaf note (both descriptions actually specifically say "dry" leaves but I find it to be quite damp and sweet compared to the leaf notes in Falling Leaf Moon or A Blade of Grass, etc.). It's very accurate and brings to mind late autumn when all the other leaves have fallen, but oaks are still dropping their dull brown ones. It's colder and everyone's tired of raking by then, so they're just accumulating in people's driveways and getting rained on. However, it's not a dirty scent. There's a suggestion of fresh air and something kind of luminous and musky. Really nice. :D

The scent reminds me so much of last year's Sonnet d'Automne.

This. Exactly this. Sonnet is my all time favorite perfume evarrrr so I wondered if it was just my brain convincing me until I just saw your post. :)

I always describe Sonnet as a bottle of vanilla spilling onto dead leaves with white musk wafting through. The musk becomes prominent after a few hours. At any rate, this candle smells just like it and is freaking incredible and I plan to buy a million more.

ETA: To reiterate the amazingness of this scent... I got my best friend fairly interested in BPAL but truly hooked on BPTP, namely the candles. She envies me because I bought so many DL&D candles last year and stopped burning them entirely around January, so now I have two left for this fall. (I started this fall with three.) Anyway the other night I left one burning all night, and the next day I told her. Her response? ":fiery eyes: Well, I can see you're fine, so I'll just go straight to saying I'm so disappointed in you for wasting the precious."

Edited by aphrodite

Review: While the dead leaves accord does not work on my skin, it’s always been lovely and perfect in the bottle so a candle sounded like the perfect showcase for it. This is mostly about the leaves, but the wood, while understated works beautifully as support. Very autumnal. As it burns all the nuance of the leave accord comes out, and the wood notes get a touch more noticeable.

This candle smelled predominantly of musty, dead leaves. The scent was pretty intense (even when it wasn't lit). In fact, it was so strong that I would get a headache it the candle just happened to be in the same room as me (even if it weren't lit)! :ack:

As a result, I ended up giving it away to someone that could enjoy it.

My favorite candle of all time. I burned through two of these last year and have just brought my last one out to burn soon...well, as soon as our temps are closer to 60 instead of 90. :(

Perfect Autumn leaves scent...very well done, and I wish this could become a hair gloss, atmo or perfume oil. I know we had Autumn Grove atmo (and I love it soooo much!) but this is different. Love it!

I'm in agreement with everyone above- it is the perfect autumn leaves scent, freshly fallen, slightly damp. I like it quite a lot, but I'm not sure about having such an ideal outside scent inside my home. At least, when I have so many other incredible BPTP scents for my home!