Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Halloween 2011 Must Haves!

This year, not including the torment & reverie pickmans which I won't get the decants for before the update comes down... it's only a very few.. and I got decants of almost everything

in order of awesomeness

Regina Erebi

Nymphae Avernales

Black Apple of Saturn

The Seekim

and

Mictecacihuatl

I'm also considering getting the Golden Apple of the Sun for the aging potential, and Samhainophobia because I wasn't able to get a decant of it (and it sounds like it might be teh ahwsome)

.. as for the untested pickmans..

I might spring for Sentimental Initiation - it's the only one that I'd be confident enough to buy a bottle of untested..

My first BPAL Halloween! I got sniffies of everything and this is how it shook out for me...

Bottles

• Muse of the Night--this is GORGEOUS, and I'm considering a backup bottle. I've found, to my sorrow, that many BPAL white flowers don't work on me, but this one does and the blackcurrant fruitiness gives it a lot of richness and interest.
  • The Glittering Apple of the Stars--also beautiful, also considering backup, but I think it's more out of worry that this was quite faint on me and might require slathering
  • The Two-Tailed Sogg--Sweet grapefruity goodness with a creamy-powdery drydown. A partial of this might have been fine, in retrospect...

Upgrade to a decant/partial bottle

• Boo--sweet sugary loveliness
  • Pumpkin Latte--love the milky-coffee drydown
  • Sonnet D'Automne--a bit too sharp, but I really want one of these "dry leaves" smells to work on me. I'll see what a little aging will do to it.
  • Nightmare--this was very lavender, creamy and almost foody. I can't see myself reaching for it too often, but I think I'd like it occasionally.
  • The Silver Apple of the Moon--lovely, but a little commercial-perfumey to me; my notes say "Smells like going to Sephora," which isn't a bad thing, but I thought a decant should serve
  • The Gorobble--Cinnamon Toast Crunch! I didn't get the charred marshmallow everyone else was getting but I do like cinnamon.
  • The Seekim (well, still trying to upgrade my sniffie; nobody seems to be selling their decants)--a big surprise for me since I normally don't like patchouli. The first few minutes of this are rough, then it settles down to dark chocolate and grassy hay and patchouli, sort of an airier version of Boomslang.
  • The Ta-Ta--almost fruity, mouth-watering leather. I was gifted an Arabian Dance decant at my last Meet 'n' Sniff and am looking forward to comparing it to this one.
  • The Wiley Grasser--the cotton candy sweetness melds so well with the balsam pine scent. Couldn't see myself wanting this too often, but I wanted to have a little on hand...
  • Askalaphos--Based on my experience with Swank, Persephone, Candy Phoenix, etc. I wasn't expecting any of the pomegranate scents to go well, but I was pleasantly surprised. The dirt tempers the candy sour-sweetness of the pomegranate really nicely in this scent.
  • Nymphae Avernales--Gorgeous--I didn't think I'd like this, based on the notes, but I kept coming back to sniff it out of all the testers I'd put on my arms, just a lovely blend of fruit, flowers, and sandalwood.
  • Regina Erebi--Red berries and mint; refreshing, but not complex

Keeping my sniffie

I found all of these interesting or evocative, but unwearable/seldom wearable for one reason or another.

• Ghosts in Love
  • Le Revenant
  • Mictecacihuatl
  • Nothing But Death
  • October
  • The Changeling

Edited by orata

My thoughts until now, for the ones I have tested/worn enough to have a thought:

- The Gorobble: Whew, much smokier and bonfire-ish then I thought! I was hoping for really sticky gooey sweet marshmellow. Oh well.

- Sprinklecake: Also, disappointing. It's a nice sugary scent, but I have a lot of cake scents that are better. It also does not last on me. Sad, I expected much of this scent.

- The Changeling: Currently wearing, for 3,5 hours. It's the best until now. Very warm, and adapts well to my skin. Very lovely!

I didn't have particularly good luck with the Weenies this time around, but I love Halloween: Las Vegas. This year's version of Boo is also nice. It's sugarier than last year. Don't think I'll get a bottle though.

The only other one that I'll probably get a bottle of is Pumpkin Princess. It works great with my skin chemistry and come on, the label art is adorable.

La Calavera Catrina, the Green Apple of Venus, and the Glittering Apple of the Stars are also beautiful, but don't think I'll need bottles of them.

I finally got my decants yesterday, and The Vampire Bride is a surprise hit for me. The musk smells like that in Neutral, with a smokey, resiny quality to it and just the smallest hint of perfumy-ness.