Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

The Russian Dance

Florentine iris, black tea, labdanum, patchouli, champaca flower, benzoin, and ambergris.

I got this bottle a couple of years ago from the lovely inurbanus. I wear this from time to time, whenever my need for iris comes about. I also seem to find myself craving it over the Christmas months. I didn't even remember that it has tea in it until I just looked at it. Explains the burning scent that comes on from time to time (that's black tea on my skin).

When it first comes on, it's a sharp iris scent. This iris is holding nothing back, but it is fighting back the resins. The labdanum and ambergris then decides to shout out that it's here with it's powdery feel, but is mixing in with the champaca. The patchouli is behind it, mellowing all of it out. During this time, the tea decides to do a throw issue of smelling like there's something burning once past my body. Of course, up close, it isn't noticeable. After a couple of hours, I end up with a much more balanced scent of patchouli, resin and iris. It is very much worth the effort of waiting for it.

The throw for this scent is very far on me. It is not for a soft frame of mind. It reminds me very much of the music than the dance.

I like that black tea and I love the iris, but all the other notes are horrible on me, especially the ambergirs.

I bought this years ago, when I did not had any knowledge of my scenthabits yet :P
I still put it on today, I would hate to see more unloved bottles in my collection,

I chose to keep this for the reason of it's name and th play I will go and see one again in december, so I WILL use it till it's gone ;)

Man am I mad I missed this one... 7 years ago. I was still buying 1 bottle at a time then (will power, where art thou nou?) and it wasn't my first choice. I got a sniffy imp from a forum buy and god, it's pretty. Resin, expensive perfume, and softly drying iris. I want. :(

ETA to add where I'd wear this: To see the Nutcracker, early evening, December

Edited by gloame

I bought The Russian Dance when it released, but never reviewed it. At the time I think I recall that it felt a little too 'perfumey' to me, and I set it aside after a couple of tests. Now, many years later, I smell this and it smells like classic perfumery to me, following in a canon I can recognize. The Florentine iris is the star of this blend, and just behind it, the black tea, patchouli, champaca, labdanum, benzoin, and ambergris are all detectable, although the lines between them are very blurred. This is a floral to its core, but it's no wallflower. There's a strength to it, the kind of scent that would pair well with vintage Christian Dior suiting. I'm so glad I kept this—it feels perfect for me now.