Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
plainjean

The Phoenix in Summer

The Phoenix soars through a summer thunderstorm: Nepalese amber, galangal, red musk, saffron, ozone, and the scent of hot rain striking pavement.

Picked up an imp-in-original second hand and it's very... well sort of like laundry detergent.

In the bottle I very much get amber and that ozone-y smell and it's very pretty; not much like rain, admittedly, but not soapy.

On my skin, however, it smells like one of those scented candles labeled "Fresh Linens" or "Clean Towels" or whatever they like to call them. It's very much 'clothes straight from the washer' detergent-y smell.

Overall - It's not bad! And since I don't have much of it anyway, I may as well keep it! Good to wear if I'm going somewhere and just want a light, "clean", scent.

Bottle: spices, aquatics, clean asphalt.

Wet: warm spices, the saffron and musk all the way.

Dry: the ozone goes soapy on me at this state. It's not totally disagreeable, like a spiced soap, but it's not great. The rain note seems to get really cloying, as someone else stated. This has a lot of waft on me, and I wish it didn't, for once.

I expected to both love and hate this, because red musk and saffron both work on my skin, but water/aquatic notes and ozone notes never do. I've got Infernal Lover for my red musk needs. I'm still waiting for an ozone to love me, but it may never be.

Wet: Ozone! I thought I hated ozone - I have recently discovered I was wrong. Ugh, but then there's something STANKY smelling underneath. Like unwashed bits. Gross. The ozone faded really quickly, and now instead of smelling clean, this smells like something that has gone off.

Dry: Ok, the ick does away, and this dries down to a lovely clean ozone scent. I really like it. It's quite sweet as well. It might make a great work scent for me, and I would consider a bottle.

The Phoenix in Summer starts off with the amber, galangal, and red musk being the main players on me, with some ozone mixed in, and it does have a rain on hot pavement feel to it. Alas, I tend to amp red musk, and this scent was no exception. It ended up being mostly red musk on me with some ozone and traces of amber, galangal, and saffron in the background. The prominence of the fruity red musk on me just makes it too sweet and ruins the atmosphere that it had going for it originally. I am so glad that I was able to try this, though, because I had been curious about that rain striking hot pavement descriptor for ages! I just wish it had stayed like that on me.