Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

I've just tried Tarot: The World and it is *the* most perfect scent I have come across.

Can anyone recommend me some similar oils to try? I'm a bit of a newbie so I'm always on the lookout for recommendations, + I don't like the idea of wearing a Tarot oil on a regular basis...

I can't make out many of the notes except cinnamon :P and possibly rose geranium. I love the spice and the woodsy-earthiness and the gentle lemony freshness of this blend.

This is kind of a desperate plea...is there anything in the catalog currently that is similar to my beloved Noir? I am starting to run low and it really is my BPAL signature scent.

I wish there was something really similar - I haven't found anything that screamed "Noir" at me. But I'd suggest trying everything plummy, since that for me is what made Noir so.... noir. My favorites w/plum are Hellion (of course, I fall in love w/a BPTP exclusive), Nahemoth (from the Qlipoth - there's plum or some dark fruit in there, it's lovely) and Frumious Bandersnatch, which admittedly doesn't resemble Noir very much but is a lovely plum blend.

These are all great recommendations. I actually have some Tarot: The Star on its way to me now because I read it's very coconutty (and I adore coconut), so if it's minty coconut I might wet my pants. In joy. I'll have to look at the others.

I never thought of a scent locket! I'm generally not a big jewelry person, but I'll give those a look, too.

Tarot: The Tower is the lovechild of Shub Niggurath and Djinn on my skin. It smells like someone managed to bake cookies over a campfire.

I recently discovered that Mania is very similar on my skin to Venom. This makes me happy! :P

I am so sad, I just read the bpal news page and realized one of my (2) all-time favourite scents has been discontinued and I only have a 1/4 bottle or less left! :P

So, since I can't seem to find any Neo-Tokyo anywhere (last ebay auction I saw ended at $46, eek...) are there any similar scents, or scent recommendations for someone who loves Neo Tokyo? I have tried Kyoto and found it too flowery and not ozone-y enough for me. =\

TIA!

Try to track down some Thunder Moon. A LE, but recently shipped so some folks may be trying to get rid of it. The ozone is very strong in it, it's not a bad substitute for Neo-Tokyo. :P

I have to respectfully disagree with starrykitten. I just got Thunder Moon today, and it smells nothing like Neo-Tokyo to me. Yes, it's ozone-y, but it's not the same light airy ozone as Neo-Tokyo. Of course, your body chemistry may interpret it differently. I haven't found anything else close to Neo-Tokyo, sadly.

Maybe I'm totally crazy, but I wouldn't hesitate to suggest Machu Picchu. It doesn't smell exactly the same (or probably even close to the same), but it gives me that same impression of light, airy fruitiness that I get from Neo-Tokyo. The strongest differences I smell are that Machu Picchu isn't quite as green or clean-smelling as the other (also, the amber is fairly strong, so keep that in mind). You might try it, though.

So Neo-Tokyo was recently discontinued, and it's been one of my faves for awhile. Has anyone got any recommendations for a similar scent that might help my craving for it? I'd appreciate it. :P

Ultraviolet has a similar feel to me as Neo-Tokyo

Ah, really? I was actually thinking they sounded similar. I'll have to add that to my wishlist.

I've also heard that Manhattan and Shattered where similar, but I'd like some personal opinions on that before trying them out, if anyone's tried them.

To me, Manhattan was not at all similar to Neo-Tokyo. I haven't tried Ultraviolet or Shattered. Good luck with your search. I love Neo-Tokyo too, but haven't found anything that compares yet.

To me, Manhattan was not at all similar to Neo-Tokyo. I haven't tried Ultraviolet or Shattered. Good luck with your search. I love Neo-Tokyo too, but haven't found anything that compares yet.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. :P

I found Budding Moon to be similar. Kind of. Not much help as that's an LE. Sorry!

I'm on the same mission to find a Neo-Tokyo replacement, as it's my absolute favourite, so thanks for posting the topic.

I'm a newb to the forum, but I had been using Neo-Tokyo for several years before it was DC'd and am currently also on a quest to replace it properly.

To second what someone said above, I did not find Manhattan to be similar whatsoever. The two go in completely separate directions when applied to my skin. Ultraviolet definitely has a similar cool/airy mojo working for it, but it does the mint thing for me way too much. :P

I will let you know if I stumble upon an appropriate successor, though.

Ah, Budding Moon...I've seen them for sale around, so maybe I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

I'm awaiting an imp of Ultraviolet, so I'm gonna see how that works on me. :P But more recommendations are definitely appreciated!

Have you thought of layering different scents? I imagine Kataniya (which is very metallic) and perhaps one of the Asian Salons would make for a good combination? I'd recommend either Spirit of the Komachi Tree or the Lantern Ghost of Oiwa for that cherry blossom note.

You might want to go with a GC instead of the Salon. But for m Neo-Tokyo was very metallic and cherry blossom. But you might want to throw in something for the orchid and wet fruits component.

Ah, that's a great idea, I didn't even think of layering! I'll see if I can try that.

An update: I tried Shattered, and while it was pretty nice, it's not that close to Neo-Tokyo. :/ Too minty, and when it started drying on me, it was really bubble-gum-y. Ah, well.

Ah, that's a great idea, I didn't even think of layering! I'll see if I can try that.

An update: I tried Shattered, and while it was pretty nice, it's not that close to Neo-Tokyo. :/ Too minty, and when it started drying on me, it was really bubble-gum-y. Ah, well.

Shattered has lotus, and than can turn bubblegummy on some people.

Dragon Moon was very 'Neo-Tokyo-ish' on me. It's an LE - not too old, though - so if you can track down a decant, I'd give it a whirl. :P

Dragon Moon was very 'Neo-Tokyo-ish' on me. It's an LE - not too old, though - so if you can track down a decant, I'd give it a whirl. :P

btw, here are the notes from Dragon Moon: dragon’s blood resin, tea leaf, bamboo reed, sandalwood and cherry blossom.

And for Neo Tokyo: Urban metallics and an ozone-tinged breath of electric light mingled with reedy bamboo, crisp mountain air, cherry blossoms, delicate orchid and a splash of playful, wet fruits.

Some layering suggestions just by searching some ingredients:

- Aizen Myoo: Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

- Fox Woman leaving...: White tea, cherry blossom, wisteria, star jasmine, and teak.

- Lantern Ghost of Oiwa: Black tea, cherry blossom, ho wood, calla lily, rice wine, and white mint.

- Kyoto: A gentle, soothing blend of cherry blossom, white sandalwood and star anise.

Thanks for the great suggestions! :P I have an old imp of Kyoto around here somewhere, I'll see if I can layer it with something(s)...I'll report back any findings for other Neo-Tokyo lovers. ;D

Okay, so I got an imp of Ultraviolet today.

It has a similar metallic/urban scent to it...but the floral is, of course, lavender instead of cherry blossom. And there's no citrusy-ness to it. But it IS similar. To others who liked Neo-Tokyo, I think it's worth a try. I might end up with a full bottle of this one!

I've just received an imp of Lurid, in my ongoing quest for a Neo-Tokyo replacement, and it has a similar cool feel to it as Neo-Tokyo. I don't think it shares any notes other than the ozone, so perhaps that's what I'm enjoying, but it's definitely gives me a similar feeling in my nose!

I will continue the quest, but thought I'd add that suggestion to the mix.

Hi! So, like the title says... I'm looking for a scent similar to Malkuth. I did a search and found a recommendation for Hellion, but she and I didn't get along when I tried the imp last time, so I'm guessing that won't work for me.

BPAL or TAL recs would be seriously appreciated. I'd almost prefer TAL, because Malkuth had an effect on me that I don't think was strictly perfume-y. It was kind of a meditation scent for me, and now that it's gone... well, that makes me sad. My bottle isn't anywhere near done, but it won't last forever.

I can't believe I missed the discon. What a horrid surprise. :P

I did a search, but I admit to being a little lazy, so... I hope this wasn't covered elsewhere. I checked all the threads I thought were relevant.

What doesn't work for me:

- flowers

- cedar, I think

- dragon's blood overpowers everything on me

- tonka

What DOES work:

- cinnamon (my love)

- fruit

- spices

- sandalwood seems to be okay

- apple blossom

- honey

Thanks in advance for any help. Since I can't sample TAL, and can't afford to imp the entire catelogue, I really need it.