Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Changing the Shadows

The dawning of hope and the blossoming of charity: vanilla, orange blossom, white sandalwood, mate, red tea, and carnation.

In the bottle - Quite a strong, sharp orange blossom note

Wet on me - Still very heavy on the orange blossom with hints of the sandalwood and carnation coming out

Dry on me - A clean white wood scent softened slightly by the vanilla

Overall - The notes that I was least keen on, the sandalwood and the orange blossom, dominate the blend

Website Description: The dawning of hope and the blossoming of charity: vanilla, orange blossom, white sandalwood, mate, red tea, and carnation.

In the bottle: Sandalwood and maybe the red tea? Ahh, thank you wikipedia. Probably the mate too. According to wiki, mate is a tea-like herbal drink popular in South America. Neato!

Immediately after application: Now the orange blossom is poking its head out a little and my brain is connecting citrus with lemon even though I KNOW it's orange and making this smell very tea-like.

The dawning of hope and the blossoming of charity: vanilla, orange blossom, white sandalwood, mate, red tea, and carnation.

I must admit that when I saw the description of this, I sprung for a bottle immediately. But when it arrived, I was more than non plussed. I don't know what I expected, but this wasn't it! I didn't even feel it was worth reviewing, so dissappointed was I with the result! It just felt like a strong blast of orange blossom and a load of other stuff- just couldn't understand it.

But now, NOW, it has aged for two years (really? does time move so fast?) and I hate to admit defeat with any of my oils (except when I can give them to a family member or friend who will love them so much more...)- and this one, I had wanted it so much that I was desperate to give it another chance...

So I tried it on last night tentatively in the crook of my left elbow before bed... and went to sleep with this divine scent wafting gently around me...

I wore it again this morning, and now I can finally smell clearly the effect that it was meant to have. I can smell every single one of the notes listed- this has aged extremely well, with the orange blossom coming out on top, followed very closely with the the sweetening effect of the vanilla- then the other notes start to come forth, with a final crescendo of spicy carnation teas, subdued slightly by the sandalwood. It has strong throw, and it sort of swirls around me, like a cloud of butterflies... changing the shadows indeed.

Sometimes, you really do have to let a scent develop, and become what it's meant to be. Is Beth really that genius that she has the foresight to know how good a smell will become once it's settled down? Her artistry goes beyond what I can comprehend. Amazing. I bow sincerely to such magnificence!

Now, I feel like my (extensive) collection of bottles is more at peace: because the black sheep that was Changing the Shadows has found it's place in my heart, and I no longer feel that stinging void of having a bad apple in the proverbial cart.

Aged, 1/2 decant I purchased from someone on the forum. The vanilla and orange drew me.

In the imp: sweet, soft scent. I can't really make out the orange, but the vanilla is there. Vanilla's always worked on me.

Applied: almost resiny-incense, almost waxy, but all in a good way. It's a soft, comforting scent

Dry down: I wish this lasted longer. I'm not sure what's going on with my skin lately, but it seems to be eating scents left & right. I wish love this, and wouldn't mind having a bottle (fat chance, I know). Honestly, I would smell this *all day* if I could.

Wet: All I can smell on my skin is somewhat chemically orange blossom.

Dry: It mellows a bit and I smell mostly sandalwood and orange blossom, possibly the mate too. The cleaning solution vibe I was getting before has died down a bit, but still present. It's mostly a woodsy orange scent though.

I'm a little torn on this. There's aspects of it that I really like, but not sure if they make up for whatever is disagreeing with my skin. Will probably hang on to the bottle for a while and try it again.

Mostly tea, orange blossom and carnation on me. Not very sweet - I can't detect the vanilla. Dries down heavy on orange blossom and sandalwood. I love this blend and have had it since its release! It's perfect for all seasons. My only complaint is that it doesn't last very long on my skin.

In the bottle this is sweetish. Fresh on the skin was a blast of sweet flowers. It's a thick dark oil with strong throw, my favorite. Freshly on i got a strong whiff of roses actually. Not like actual roses or even rosewood or rose geranium, more like a general reddish rosiness as if these notes combined just happen to mimic the scent of a rose bouquet. They pick themselves apart pretty quickly tho, and leave behind a lovely floral scent that i would definitely call white flowers, even though the scent is to my nose quite warm. Hard to explain but it's like a clean floral. I agree with some previous reviewers calling it perfumey in an elegant way, although i disagree personally with the soap comparisons. Looking at some of the reviews, i am guessing that the strong floral blast when wet is the orange blossom. I'm not really familiar with orange blossom, or neroli, as i'm not a citrus fan. I've always wanted to smell some straight EOs as i've heard it said they smell nothing like citrus but the comparison is made in my head and i can't undo it. However, i was curious about this blend and decided to try it, and now i love it. There is a sharp fruitiness (NOT in a citrusy way) that i think must be the tea combining with the orange blossom, which fades as the scent dries and is replaced by more vanillic undertones. The carnation is also i think more noticeable as it dries, making the scent even warmer and redder than before. Gorgeous blend

ETA the throw definitely decreases as it dries but is still p strong

Edited by DiZZysTARdust