Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alara

One scent vs. another scent... differences & similarities

I've read through all the review pages for both Eat Me and Drink Me. :eek: (a bit loopy, I know).

Only in a few reviews there were passing comments on the other scent and I am still not sure how they compare. Would some of you who had the chance to try both want to elaborate and compare, which one had more throw, which one was more fruity, which one was longer-lasting, sweeter, which one was more cake-y; :lol: etc. and any other comparison that comes to mind? ;)

Thanks a bunch. :wub2:

Edited by ivyandpeony
changed title to make thread a general discussion thread

Eat Me is a slightly musky, cake-y scent with a sharper berry note (it's drier than I expected). Not quite as fruity, it's more foody.

Drink Me is on my skin mostly a pineapply bready scent, so less dessert-y, more fruity as in whimsical fruit, airier, sweeter.

I'm wearing both right now to compare, lol. In my opinion:

Eat Me and Drink Me are both very different from each other, even though they both fall into a foodie-vanilla category. They're both foodie and a bit vanilla-y, but the vanilla aspects in Eat Me are cake-y and sweet, and the vanilla aspects of Drink Me are like a creamy vanilla custard. I find both of them to be long lasting with great throw.

Eat Me has a bit of a darker feel to it (almost like a dark musk or incense edge), and it's a sweet, vanilla cake with hints of dark, sweet currant. Drink Me is fruitier, creamier, and has a warmer feel (like pineapples and a maraschino cherry mixed into vanilla custard, perhaps with a slice of warm poundcake).

They don't really smell anything alike. If you like foodie scents, they're both awesome and sweet.

Thank you both. :) I do like foody scents, and I have been reading about those two in particular. Being a newbie I didn't know where to start and I really wanted to learn how those two compare. I'll be taking your input into consideration. Fruity notes don't agree with me well so it was important to know which ones is fruitier. But then again, I don't want to pass a scent just because it has fruity notes because I've been surprised before. :D

I have trouble wearing fruity blends too. Sometimes I find that Drink Me is a bit too fruity for me, but I love Eat Me (definitely in my top 10). Drink Me does have that foodie edge and vanilla custard, but the pineapple and cherry are definitely strong too.

It's a bit off topic, lol, but since fruity blends can be a bit of a problem for you too can you tell me your favorite foodie GC scent?

I've been reading about Cockaigne and Gluttony but also Hellcat and Miskatonic University (for that yummy Irish coffee kick :yum: ). Judging by the impressions the two of you gave I think Eat me would suit me better.

Thank you! I'll be checking out the reviews for those too now, hehe! Always open to new yummy ideas ;) .

Jack and Chimera are good GC foodys if you're okay with sweet cinnamon spice. Also, Hermia might be worth a try - it's really a floral, but I find the way the notes combine make it smell almost cakey.

It's a bit off topic, lol, but since fruity blends can be a bit of a problem for you too can you tell me your favorite foodie GC scent?

My favorite GC foodie scent from bpal actually is Eat Me ^_^.

If you can get ahold of Monster Bait: Underpants, Monster Bait: Underbed, or Monster Bait: Closet, those are all *amazing* foodie scents. They are all older limited editions, though. I'm hoping that they get re-released around this April Fool's Day, which is what I hope for every year, lol.

I thought that I would love Hellcat and Gluttony, but those wound up being way too sweet for me, sadly. If you want something intensely sweet and sugary, Gluttony is definitely that.

Some of my foodie favorites that are GC right now:

*Cockaigne. Honeyed, spicy, pastry-goodness.

*Miskatonic U is a great, sweet, creamy coffee scent.

*Shub-Niggurath. It has a sweet, foodie gingersnaps smell.

*Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener. Smells like a root beer float with extra vanilla cream.

And if you like chocolate scents:

*Bliss. Pure, strong, creamy milk chocolate.

*Boomslang. The cocoa absolute in this is fantastic, and I get a lot of the vanilla from the Snake Oil. It's a currently available LE in the Carnaval...

*How Doth the Little Crocodile. Really rich chocolate brownie, vanilla mint cookies, and a little bit of woods and dry oakmoss.

Kinda sweet/foodie:

*Dorian. I get a sweet vanilla cream and sugared, clean tea from this.

*High-Strung Daisies. Smells like cotton candy, sugared pink flowers, and a hint of clean linen on me.

Oh my! Some of those sound SO YUMMY!

I have to admit I haven't spotted Shub-Niggurath, Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener, How Doth the Little Crocodile or High-Strung Daisies while I was reading through all the foodie lists and reccomendation threads. High-Strung Daisies sound like they might smell somewhat like Aquolina's Pink Sugar . I'll check the reviews! :yum: :D

I've added Jack and Chimera to my wishlist ;) , they both sound scrumptious. :yum: Thank you all very much. :wub2:

Edited by Alara

I thought I would bump this as I'm doing a little Recs housekeeping tonight - since the question of "this one or that one" comes up fairly often, I changed the title of this thread to open it up for all of that sort of discussion. :D

I've been doing a lot of one-vs-other comparisons to train my nose to detect notes, here are my discoveries. Maybe this will help someone!

Lightning vs. Archangel Winter vs. Sea of Glass vs. Thunderbird

Lightning is my point of reference, I think it's the purest ozone of these.

Sea of Glass is almost identical to Lightning, except with a lighter, sweeter, floral touch. Lightning felt more brooding and water-laden than SoG.

Archangel Winter is a slushy, cloyingly sweet Lightning, definitely more "snowy". I've read that SoG and AW are very similar, but I thought they were quite different.

Thunderbird is like Lightning with a forest/evergreen overlay.

Penitence vs. Cathedral

Virtually identical. Penitence is a bit sweeter and warmer (I'm guessing this is from myrrh) and fuller, while Cathedral is "blacker", drier, a tad more bitter, and definitely more austere than Penitence.

Selkie vs. Long Night Moon

They were quite similar to my nose - both watery, grassy/meadow-like, and slightly floral. Selkie is more brooding and green, LNM was a bit more floral-sweet and lighter. (Selkie is also a dead ringer to the Blooddrop scent Pegasus, though they have very different notes.)

Black Forest vs. The Jersey Devil

Black Forest is piney green but juicy/berry sweet. The pine in Jersey Devil is lighter, and I can smell faint tomato and maybe blackberry - it has a more leafy vibe.

JD is lighter and "cleaner" than BF, which is a bit heavy but not dirty. BF becomes sweeter over time, while JD gets lighter. BF is definitely a darker green than JD.

Dole of the King's Daughter vs. Last Rose of Summer

Both are almost identical, but with subtle differences.

DKK is wetter, LRS is drier.

DKK is greener, LRS is a bit browner/earthier.

DKK is "higher", LRS is a "lower" scent.

Mama-ji vs. Baghdad

Closely related - rich, spicy-flowery scents. Mama-ji is full and rounded and deeper/richer, while Baghdad is lighter, dry/dusty with a rose touch.

Colour impression is the same hue of red/gold/pink, but Baghdad is of a lighter shade.

They're closely related, but sufficiently different to justify keeping both. ;)

Moon of Small Spirits vs. The Snow Storm

Again, very similar to my nose even though they have very different notes! Snow Storm is thinner, drier and more evergreen/less sweet than Moon of SS.