Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

Octopus and Abalone Diver

Ambergris accord, water lily, freesia, sea spray, molluscan seashell accord, and driftwood.

Octopus and Abalone Diver - This one opens up on me with the scent of freesia, water lily, and salty sea spray....and it's really strong and perfumey. As it dries down, the florals mellow out and what I smell then is mostly the scent of salty sea and wood, and oddly enough, that molluscan seashell accord. I had no idea I knew what a seashell smelled like until I recognized the odor in this perfume oil blend. How odd. After a little longer on my skin, the warm, deliciousness of the ambergris starts to take over the other notes until all I'm left with is ambergris and salty sea spray. I like it, but it's not something I'd find myself reach for over my other favorite aquatics and ambergris blends.

This one starts off all cheap teenage boy cologne. After a minute, the boy cologne departs, leaving a very quiet, slightly floral, aquatic. It really doesn't change much after that. There's almost no throw, but it does waft ever so slightly when I least expect it. It's one of those oils that doesn't smell like a perfume oil. Gently sweet, clean & 'natural'. Another hot day scent. I love the lupercalia series!!

Upon first sniff, very light and lovely. Gently aquatic. Stronger once on the skin. Still lovely and smells so very clean. Wow! I am enamored with the soft aquatic lovliness of this scent.[

I'm not too well-acquainted with any oceanic scents, so the wet saltiness of this scent, combined with the promise of seaweed and the creaminess of the ambergris, is really a delight to me. I just wish it lasted longer on me -- it doesn't have much staying power on my skin. Had it possessed that quality, it would definitely have been a bottle-worthy purchase. I'm pretty fond of this one, though.

In the bottle: It smells like the ocean, clean ocean not fishy ocean, with definite water lily.

Immediately after application: Aquatic floral and seaspray.

Warming up: It's morphing rapidly and I'm getting hints of different notes a few moments apart and at different distances. From farther away, it smells more aquatic. Closer up, I can pick up the sweet floral of the freesia and water lily. It's got a little bite to it too.

Fading: Going a bit spicy and the driftwood is coming forward some. Pristine, undisturbed beach with a hint of the florals still.

Faded: Clean aquatic with watery florals. I love it.

Overall: LOVE LOVE LOVE. The other notes blend with the florals and keep them from being perfumey and it's a nice, slightly feminine but definitely not girly aquatic. Refreshing with a hint of salt and spice from the driftwood and ambergris. Perfect for summer.

ITI: Freesia and water lily with a bit of pleasantly smelling driftwood. I expected something nasty and aquatic, but so far, it's rather feminine with some depth behind the floral.

Wet: Ah, now I get something more aquatic, but it's a clear lagoon rather than low tide. The freesia and water lily mellow out the sharp water notes, but the ambergris starts to appear and make the scent more enticing, more exotic.

Dry: Light freesia, ambergris accord, and water lily. I don't smell anything incredibly "fishy" or overtly aquatic in this scent now.

This is one of the most gorgeous aquatics I've ever come across. Ever. My husband found a decant of it through the BPAL trading post, and picked it up knowing how much I love aquatic scents... and I couldn't be happier.

Although I love Cthulhu for its murky depth and Egle for its multi-faceted whispers, The Octopus and the Abalone Diver is a high-pitched, ethereal aquatic that seems like a softer, gentler version of Oceanus from the Body Shop, which I wore religiously as a teen.

Bottle: Freesia and oyster shells.

Wet: Musky and salty. Notes that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but brought me back to seaside holidays when I was a child.

Dry: The florals have shown up, but they're tempered by a fragrance akin to Fleur de Sel sea salt and warmed by the driftwood.

This never went soapy on me, nor did it get cloyingly sweet. It's absolutely exquisite.

Edited by Nicnivin