Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fairnymph

AF22

Sniffed: Light golden oil. Rotting florals (i.e. iris), spring flowers, white florals, soap, and maybe a soft aquatic rain-like note.

Wet: OH HI GARDENIA. Stompity stomp! I'm not sure what that super-soapy note is - several florals go very soapy on me, but I strongly suspect moonflower because I get that sort of cool/lunar/blue feel that I associate with moonflower, and it isn't totally terrible or overwhelmingly soapy. The iris here is stronger than in AF18 or maybe it's just that because this gardenia note (which is different) is less intense, I can smell other things more.

Dry: There are some herbal notes in this - some slightly bitter greenery, and a sort of sappy/crushed new leaves sort of note, and some cucumber, which I think gave it that aquatic aspect I picked up on earlier. I'm reminded of some of the floral lunar blends, it has that sort of feel. Gardenia is still the strongest note, but it's settled a bit and isn't totally dominating, though it's what I do smell first from faaaaar away. I do believe there is an orchid note in this and maybe a touch of ylang-ylang. Very complex, and pretty well blended.

Summary: The orchid and ylang-ylang amp over time, and I also think there is a lily of some type and lily of the valley - there's a heaviness to this blend that I get with LotV. This reminds me of a few different BPAL blends - Eternal, The Lady of Shallot, Veil, Ace of Hearts, Kindly Moon and vaguely, Blue Moon 2007. There is a definite sweetness to this that builds over time, as does the heaviness, while the soapiness of earlier mostly dissipates. The drydown's not bad - a complex, sophisticated, feminine floral - but it's too heavy for my tastes. Powerful throw & longevity.

Gah. Okay.... I think this may have some orchid/moonflower (some sort of delicate floral), something aquatic, and GARDENIA.

And yes, gardenia totally dominates this blend again.

And yes, similarities with Eternal and Lady of Shallot. If you like either, you'd probably like this.

GARDENIA!!! Screaming, headache inducing gardenia. Ouch, this hurts! As it dries, I can pick up an aquatic component which further into the drydown does start to become more reminiscent of the cucumber note that fairnymph mentioned above. This is incredibly soapy on me, and not something I can wear.

Heady, incensy floral, perhaps with some red musk in there. Turns to perfumey chemical floral as it dries.

Strong "floral perfumey" blend. Violet, orris, jasmine sambac? Probably some gardenia as well.

With wear this blend develops the floral round nuttiness I associate with jasmine sambac and/or kush. Actually, after the sharpness burns off, this is kind of a nutty jasmine sambac note that is very wearable, assuming I want to dab it into my cleavage and set my nipples to "stun."

(That was a JOKE you guys.)

Sniffed: A high white floral with a slightly sugary-sweet touch.

On skin: All white florals, watery and liquid and a bit heady. Reminds me of The Lady of Shalott, so gardenia is definitely here. But underneath these florals is a deeper note that smells sugary! It grounds the florals and occasionally morphs in to tantalize my nose with slight sugar sweetness. There's another heavier note looking in the background, perhaps a light, dry wood. Overall, this is an airy-light, slightly dry, white floral blend.

Verdict: I'm glad that these white florals don't go screaming off and that they are grounded in the sugar and wood notes, discreet as those are. But I don't like pure white floral blends, and while this prototype has promise, in this form it's not that great.

This is all soapy, sharp, chemical-y white floral smell on me. It's like a laundry soap scented with sharp floral perfume. I like gardenia, but can't pick out any one floral note from this. The drydown has a soured quality that reminds me a bit of the way some jasmine notes turn on my skin.