Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Salem

Talcum Powder, French Talc....

Hello lovely BPAL people. To cut it short, my mum is getting married next month and I'd really love to make her a little imp set up for a present. I know from a conversation yesterday she's looking for an oil that smells like the old french boudoir talcum powders that she remembers from her childhood. I know she also loves white roses and lilly of the valley and I was just wondering for those 3 vague scents what would be the best? I know there are topics perhaps for the roses and lilly but I've searched for the talc and can't find anything, forgive me if there is!

Thankyou very much.

I read a review of Noir, in which the reviewer says it smells exactly like a rose talc her mom used to wear. It also has lily in it. Sound appropriate? ;) The problem--- discontinued. :cry2:

Here's some things that might work and are available:

Black Phoenix: Our signature oil. A dark, languid scent. Promotes hedonistic tendencies and extreme self-love. You won't stop kissing mirrors for a month. A few people have said this smells like a sweet rose talc.

Les Fleurs Du Mal: Features a rose base, softened with lilac and wisteria. Same here, the rose goes a bit powdery.

Van Van: A venerable voodoo blend, used for purification of the spirit and to amplify positive personal power. This has got to be the closes thing to talcum powder out there in the Bpal world.

Edited by BlackLace

I read a review of Noir, in which the reviewer says it smells exactly like a rose talc her mom used to wear. It also has lily in it. Sound appropriate? ;) The problem--- discontinued. :cry2:

Booooo! :cry2:

Here's some things that might work and are available:

Black Phoenix: Our signature oil. A dark, languid scent. Promotes hedonistic tendencies and extreme self-love. You won't stop kissing mirrors for a month. A few people have said this smells like a sweet rose talc.

Les Fleurs Du Mal: Features a rose base, softened with lilac and wisteria. Same here, the rose goes a bit powdery.

Van Van: A venerable voodoo blend, used for purification of the spirit and to amplify positive personal power. This has got to be the closes thing to talcum powder out there in the Bpal world.

Van Van sounds brilliant due to the smell and vibe of the perfume. Fleurs too due to possibly the lilac. Ahh, thankyou very much! Now I must hunt for these lovelies.

Psychological Horror (a Dark Delicacies exclusive; available now) is the powderiest BPAL scent I know of. It's beautiful. You might be able to score an imp in swaps, if you don't want to purchase a bottle.

For something a little deeper and sexier, and in the GC, try Spellbound...it's like powdery, rosy musk.

Have you tried searching for "baby powder"? I know it's not quite the same as talcum powder (and I confess that I don't know what French talc smells like), but it might give you a starting point. You could also check out these threads:

know any BPAL with the smell of babypowder? I am on the hunt for cleancut (white) fresh floral scents, Help me a little again if you like

Wood, amber, baby powder?, Help me find a BPAL blend for my mum!

The powderiest BPAL blends I've tried have been:

Dance of Death
(Ars Moriendi) - Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh.

Haunted
(Ars Moriendi) - Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

O
(Ars Amatoria) - Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

Van Van
(Bewitching Brews) - A venerable voodoo blend, used for purification of the spirit and to amplify positive personal power.

For powdery rose I'd suggest:

Alice
(Mad Tea Party) - Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Black Phoenix
(Diabolus) - A dark, languid scent. Promotes hedonistic tendencies and extreme self-love. You won't stop kissing mirrors for a month.

And this current limited edition scent - although unfortunately named - sounds promising:

Stinky
(2009 LE, available until September) - A cure for sweaty bits and sticky wilting. Stinky is a summer refresher 'foom for people that don't dig run-of-the-mill "clean" scents: newly-washed skin with a dusting of milk, white honey, and baby powder.

For a white rose, maybe:

Moon Rose
(Rappaccini's Garden) - A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

Others to consider:

Ephemera
(Bewitching Brews) - sorrowful violet and chamomile with muguet, white geranium, calla lily and tea rose with a hint of autumn leaves.

Epitaph
(Ars Moriendi) - Roses and funeral lilies perceived, faintly, through an indistinct, ghostly mist.

Helena
(Illyria) - Rose amber, calla lily, night-blooming jasmine, water lily, and white rose.

L'Ecole des Filles
(Ars Amatoria) - orange blossom, ambergris, orris root, white rose, lemon balm, jonquil, carrot seed, and benzoin.

Magdalene
(Sin & Salvation) - A bouquet of white roses, labdanum, and wild orchid.

Nuit
(Excolo) - dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower.

Ophelia
(Illyria) - lotus, water blossom ivy, stargazer lily and white rose.

The Reaper and the Flowers
(Ars Moriendi) - longiflorum lilies, white rose, chrysanthemum, and carnation.

Victoria
(Stardust, "unimpable") - Graceful vanilla musk, tea rose, and stargazer lily.

Viola
(Illyria) - Gentle tea rose, lilac, Calla Lily, and Somalian Rose layered over golden Peruvian amber, Spanish moss, red sandalwood, rosewood, and myrrh, with the lightest touch of Mandarin.

My father in law says that Snake Oil smells like the talc his Scottish mother used to wear.

(Runs to read more powdery reviews herself!)...

I just noticed that Apple mentioned Epitaph.

Yes, this one! Epitaph is one of the most comforting powdery florals I have tried, I can't believe I forgot it.

Diabolical Offspring (current Dark Delicacies offering) is very powdery--maybe too babypowdery for what you're after, but definitely powdery. It's got a little something else underneath it that I can't describe, but perhaps read other reviews to help you get a better sense of it.

You're all great, thankyou ever so much. Now to see if I can get a couple of these in time for next month, eek.

I found Belle Epoque to be powdery, yet still pleasant.

Belle Epoque: "The Pretty Era", France's Golden Time: an age of beauty, innovation and peace in France that lasted from the 19th Century through the first World War and gave birth to the cabaret, the cancan, and the cinema as well as the Impressionist and Art Nouveau movements. Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood.

Posting here instead of making a new one (maybe we could combine the various powder threads into a big powder-lover paradise?) I love a good powdery scent. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), my chemistry doesnt really turn much to powder. Here are my favorite powders, what else can you recommend to me?

Werepuppy

Gladdener of All Hearts

Lyonesse

Hunter Moon 07

Black Opal

(I searched fairly thoroughly before starting this -- I found threads for DONT like powder, but none for the powder lovers)

I noticed a few mentioned here that I'm going to check out (Had Stinky and traded it for something... I think I need that one back -- Is it too much like Werepuppy?) I do need to try Diabolical Offspring and maybe retry Psychological Horror. THe rest of what I see listed is not powdery on me at all. Maybe Haunted. I should hunt it back down too!

Posting here instead of making a new one (maybe we could combine the various powder threads into a big powder-lover paradise?) I love a good powdery scent. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), my chemistry doesnt really turn much to powder. Here are my favorite powders, what else can you recommend to me?

Werepuppy

Gladdener of All Hearts

Lyonesse

Hunter Moon 07

Black Opal

(I searched fairly thoroughly before starting this -- I found threads for DONT like powder, but none for the powder lovers)

I noticed a few mentioned here that I'm going to check out (Had Stinky and traded it for something... I think I need that one back -- Is it too much like Werepuppy?) I do need to try Diabolical Offspring and maybe retry Psychological Horror. THe rest of what I see listed is not powdery on me at all. Maybe Haunted. I should hunt it back down too!

Hello, fellow powder lover! Haunted is a good one to try. It has a powdery drydown. Stinky isn't powdery the same way, say, Black Opal is. To me, Stinky smells like Burt's Bees "baby" line.

If you like Gladdener, you may like Lilith Victoria, or even just plain Dorian, which doesn't go powdery on me but YMMV. Have you tried Alice or Creature Feature? How about TKO?

At the risk of sounding repetitious, I always go back to my beloved Psych Horror when I want baby powder-musk. It is the ultimate powdery scent.