Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Lovers in a Ricefield

Plum blossom, vanilla sandalwood, nutmeg, and wild rice.

YUM! :yum: Lovers in a Ricefield is a BEAUTIFUL deep (but not dark) vanilla blend.The plum blossom and vanilla sandalwood blend marvelously together in a harmony that's neither foody nor sweet and lasts a good chunk of the day. The nutmeg adds an interesting kick, but unfortunately I don't get any rice--this should be more Lovers in a Plum Field Drinking Vanilla Spiced Tea. :lol: Sillage is strong but not overbearing, though I would still dab rather than slather. One of my favorite blends and you bet I'll be seeking out decants to fill up my partial bottle. Edited by thatbrownelf

I've been wanting to review this one for a while, as it's fast rising to be one of my top ten, and it's one of the the few (3) that I have a back-up bottle of. It goes on fruity, like pear juice to my nose. Then the soft vanilla sandalwood comes forward, drying it out. There is a creaminess from the rice and a spiciness from the nutmeg, and all in all this is just a pretty, sweet, spicy, creamy fruity asian blend, like I loved in Hungry Ghost Moon, Tamamo-no-Mae, Beanman and Bean Woman, Enlightenment of the Courtesan, and... do I detect a pattern here? Oh, well. This is just my kind of thing, and I'm glad that BPAL does it so brilliantly.

In the very first instances this smelled very light and a bit fruity - definitely plum, but it changed very quickly once on my skin. There's still a light aura about it but for some reason it smells like rather woody paper to me. Is that rice? Or sandalwood that I'm not too familiar with? I have no idea. I'm not very good with individual notes. I'm not very bug on wood smells, but the top notes are so lovely that I'm sad this doesn't really work on me. It makes me think of a floral breeze hovering over freshly laid wood floors. Very beautiful but not at all me. Looks like this decant will be going into the swap pile.

ITB: It's much more plum-centric than I had anticipated. There is a touch of vanilla sandalwood, but I can't discern the other notes. It's fruity, flowery, and feminine.

Wet: There is really almost nothing, but what fraction of a drop I managed to eek out of the bottle smelled exactly the same on my skin, thank goodness. I'd love a little more of this.

Dry: It's perfume-y plum blossom and a touch of sandalwood, but it is faint since I was able to get out so little in the first place.

On me, this was less plummy than I had thought it would be based on previous reviews. The plum is definitely there, but it mingles with the other notes very nicely, so it doesn't get too sharp. On my skin it reminds me of a plum mochi - which must be the combination of vanilla and rice and plum blossom?

I am not getting much sandalwood , and there is only a tiny bit of spiciness to the blend, from the nutmeg.

This feels like a classical Shunga in the best way; soft, creamy, and a little exotic. I am glad I found it :)

Wet: OMG I am swooning, this is soooo good. Creamy, sweet, floral, perfumey - all the things. It smells like everything good in all the world. It is SO UNIQUE I can't even describe it. This is the most excited I have been trying a perfume in ages. I am in love, and will be devastated if it dries wonky on me.

Dry: Completely and utterly gorgeous. It gets EVEN BETTER once dry, as the plum blossom comes out subtly. I can't even describe how wonderful a scent this is. So happy to score some, and will likely keep an eye out for more.

And by that I mean....this is horrible. You don't want any. Seriously. You should likely just send yours to me.....I'm happy to take one for the team ;)

This goes on fruity, then quickly becomes a soft floral on me. The plum blossom would be responsible for both the floral and fruity aspects, and then the vanilla sandalwood comes in and makes this so soft and almost creamy. I don't get any nutmeg, but it's very pretty regardless.