Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sarada

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Sublime peace, ecstatic joy, and thunderstruck awe: terebinth pine, patchouli, brown musk, linden blossom, honey, mallow, blood orange, heliotrope, and golden amber.

On me, this was all brown musk and amber with a background of pine. The blood orange isn't very obvious - I have to really go looking for it, but the honey is that gorgeous rich dark kind so it's not going powdery/icky sweet on me.. that's a bonus!

After about half an hour, this goes a bit weird - it's smelling very earthy and a bit like damp wood. I'm not sure what to make of this one - I think it's just a bit too brown for me :smile;

I admit that I bought this blend mainly for nerdy reasons - that is, because I like the name and the bottle art, and because the Wind and the Willows was one of my favourite childhood books (and shows! Does anyone else remember the old stop-motion TV adaptation?) That being said, the blend turned out to be so exceptionally beautiful and evocative that it rocketed right away to the top of my favourites' list.

On my skin, the orange and pine come out very strongly at first, and then fade progressively over time. The musk and amber are warm and make me think of rays of sunlight falling on a forest clearing. The patchouli gives an impression of loamy earth, so rich and sweet that it reminds me of chocolate, although it lacks the buttery quality that makes me queasy in most chocolate blends. The florals are have a subtle, understated wildflower scent - not at all cloying or heady. There is also a strong mossy quality, although I have no idea where it comes from since moss is not listed in the ingredients. My only complaint is that the throw and duration are both far below average, although I have managed to extend both by using lotion.

Gorgeous and a perfect illustration of the children's book. Five out of five stars.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

On: Lots of earthy musk.

2 hours in: Sweet and earthy, with a healthy dose of musk.

6 hours in: The patchouli is coming forward more, along with some amber. It's giving this more of a sweet, earthy scent, which smells really good on me. I can also catch a bit of a floral note underneath.

Overall: This is a really pretty, earthy scent that isn't too dark.

Piper at the Gates is a very brown scent on me, patchouli and musk and amber with a touch of orange at the edges. In the drydown, I sense the mallow and maybe a touch of the flowers.

It’s a cozy scent.  I get something that goes to plastic in the wet phase that bothers me, and luckily it goes away fairly quickly. 
I’m not in love with this, mostly because it’s a close skin scent, and I like some throw.