Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White musk, winter plum, pine wood, benzoin, orchid, and stargazer lily.

L’Inverno

In the bottle:
reminds me of Snow Moon and Ice Prince, I can smell snowy pine, plum and lily.
Wet on skin: pine! Lots of pine, but also some sugar plum, like the plum in Midwinter’s Eve.
Dry on skin: soft and very pretty, and very cold. This smells of winter pine, sweet white plum and chilly flowers, all covered with a blanket of snow. It reminds me of Snow Moon and Snow Maiden, that same combination of the snow note and pale floral notes. This one has a plum note, and that makes me think of Ice Prince. Also, the pine note is stronger than in the other floral-snow scents, it’s like the pine in Old Moon. This is a very gentle scent, rather faint actually…it’s a whisper of winter.
After a while: oh damn. Now one of the notes is turning really odd on me. it now smells a bit like a mushy floral version of the Shivering Boy or the Snow Storm, but there’s a floral note (or is it pine?) that’s smelling like overripe fruit here, and it smells a bit rotten on my skin-not totally putrid, but not pleasant. The pine note has also turned very bitter, and smells a bit like turpentine now. The scent is faint, thankfully, and getting fainter.
Verdict: I’m afraid this is my least favourite of the season perfumes. It starts off quite nicely, a cold fruit-floral with a spike of evergreen. There’s something a little soapy but it’s faint, and the scent is of frosty flowers and fruit. It’s really pretty. But then suddenly it goes wrong on me. I’m guessing one of the flowers or several have conspired against my skin, and they make the scent a little wilted-smelling, bitter. The evergreens don’t fare better either. The scent also fades very fast from my skin. So overall, not my favourite seasonal scent.
Emoticon rating: :(
Is it a keeper?
No.
If you like this, try: Snow Storm, Death of the Gravedigger, Snow Maiden, Knecht Ruprecht

L'Inverno

Immediately on skin: piney, snowy, slush. Not surprised, but not too impressed. I'm not usually a fan of these sorts of scents (doesn't stop me from buyin' 'em, though!). When I took a second sniff, after playing online working for a bit, it had completely changed to Midwinter's Eve? No, not quite, but it's definitely plum and flowers. On third sniff, there's still some piney snowy slush there, but they've taken a backseat to the plum and orchid. I'm glad I gave it a try, I never woulld have seen that morph coming.

Decant: Pine. Lots of pine. I like pine, but this is like shoving a Christmas tree under my nose and saying, “Huff this!”

Wet: Now it’s fruity pine! I love the plum note, and this is no exception to making the blend beautiful.

Dry: Gods, I love plum. I truly do. I was iffy with the mix of plum and pine but this is…absolutely wonderful. I have only three Yule scents (Amazing, I know) and I think that this may be my favorite of the three. Definitely a nice, warm, December blend.

Finding a bottle of this may be hard, but I want nothing more than a full 5mL of this gorgeousness. It doesn’t help that I also spilt part of my decant onto my bed and shirt *weep*

I'm going to echo the previous poster and say Pine. Lots of pine. The piniest piece of pine that ever pined. oy. I think my DH would get a headache just from looking at the imp. I like it, though ;) This will be a "wear when the sweetie is gone" scent. i'm hoping the next time I try it that I get more plum...

Wow. Flat-out gorgeous and a perfect winter blend. :wub2: I'm getting that same delicious sugarplum note in Midwinter's Eve, except in a warmer blend with the come-hither touchability of white musk and just a hint of a lighted Christmas tree glowing softly in the background with the added sweet warmth of the benzoin. This isn't a frosty winter blend, but rather the warmth of a Christmas party with candles flickering in the windows and heaps of sugarplums on the table. Delicious!

L'Inverno

I don't like pine-scented things. I like the smell of real pine boughs, but artificial pine anything makes me gag. I couldn't wear Carpathian Mountains because of the pine note. L'Inverno, however, is a horse of a completely different color.

I get a pine-covered-in-fresh snow scent when the oil is fresh on my skin. It's not an overpowering pine; just the hint of evergreens in the cold. Within the hour, the oil morphs into a gloriously soft blend of plum and florals. It's extremely skin-close so I need to slather.

L'Inverno is strong competition against Lines Written Among the Euganean Hills as my go-to winter scent.

I received this as a frimp through a forum purchase :)

In the Decant: a friendly, warm scent, with pine beneath

Wet on Skin: similar to the imp, but I have to work a little harder to find the pine

While Drying: a very Christmasy smell… sweet plum begins to emerge - smells like candy

After a Little While: very sweet/sugary plum, with a touch of musk (not a fan of this stage)

Later: slightly sweet musk

Final Thoughts: Never got any florals with this. The pine wood smell was fantastic in the beginning, but then disappeared, never to be found again. Wet phases were great. Drydown was nothing spectacular on my skin.

L'Inverno earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

In the tester, this is really reminding me of the Proserpina bath oil; an icy fruit note and florals with a bit of musk. On my skin, I'm definitely getting the pine amping over the icy plum and florals and musk. We'll see if the pine settles a bit. But yeah, like L'Estate, this is definitely really evocative of winter for me. Ends up being very similar to Proserpina for me, and I feel like the bath oil will get more mileage for me, especially since it doesn't have the pine note that dominates L'Inverno for most of its drydown.

Edited by Venneh

Pine, yes. I didn't think that would work on me, but this is sooo lovely. I can't stop smelling my wrists -- I got a bunch of winter-y scents recently, and this one is by far my favourite. It's cold, but far from desolate. As has been pointed out earlier, I think of warm spices and in that sense, it's almost a Christmas-y scent. I absolutely love it!!

One cold but bright winter day Tzi bounced down the road to her Grandmother's house.

Tzi's grandmother is a stately woman, and her beautiful cottage is filled with bouquets of lilies, bowls of sugared plums, and orchids. A lovely wreath of pine boughs decorates the door.

"Tziporra! So lovely to see you!" Grandmother envelopes Tzi in a warm embrace of all her grandmotherly scents and Tzi wants to stay there forever. Then Grandmother holds Tzi at arms length and wrinkles her patrician nose just a touch. "I don't know why you insist on wearing those masculine leather based scents darling. You should try some of my L'Inverno"

Perhaps I will, Grandmother, perhaps I will.

Tzi

ETA: I love this scent even though it is completely the opposite of everything I've been wearing lately, in case you couldn't tell.

Edited by tziporra

I received an empty bottle of L'Inverno, just enough to sniff. It's a pretty floral bouquet with strong white musk and benzoin notes. I'm not getting any plum or pine, sadly. It doesn't seem particularly wintry, but white musk does have a detached, chilly quality, at least to me, sometimes. Here, yes. So I get the impression that this a perfume for a refined, proper lady. Not really my style, but quite nice and elegant.

In the bottle - Pine pitch and woods. Foresty.

Wet - So much better than just pine. There’s a fullness and a richness to the forest now, with maybe a hint of snow. Most snowy notes are an instant headache on me, but this is quite tame. Is there rosemary in this? I could swear I’m smelling rosemary.

Drydown - This is a gentle winter in the mountains. Like standing outside a log cabin among the trees and watching the stars twinkle during the first snowfall of the year. The playful aspect of the florals lends a quiet comfort to the blend. The pine burns off a bit as it dries out, leaving behind a gorgeous (non-pine-specific) wintery forest floor with scattered flowers.

Verdict - I keep reading reviews of this that say it’s chilly and cold -- and that’s true, but there’s a warmth to it. The feeling of going outside into the cold winter weather while rolled up in a snuggly soft blanket. I love it. Too bad Southern California winter doesn’t smell like this perfume. Hopefully I can wear it in January or February and make my own little winter.