Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Cathouse Atmosphere Spray

A nineteenth century Southern bordello: magnolia, jasmine, honey musk, tobacco, vanilla bean, bourbon vanilla, and Spanish moss.

Free goblin...

First test: Bed/Chair near my Bed. Annnnd that was a mistake. It stunk of artificial fabric softener floral and stayed that way for hours on my bed, but not the chair. I ended up having to wash my sheets, pillowcases, and blankets.

However, I reread the reviews before giving up on it. Most seemed to have problems with the jasmine, which I don't amp/have problems with...if anything, we are good friends. I decided to take this as a hint that maybe my skin chemistry doesn't like magnolia, and that my natural oils on my bed amped it, as on the chair it was more tolerable.

So, I gave it a second chance.

Second test: Closet. I'm in a basement, my closet is unfinished with some main water pipes running through it and it occasionally gets wet if there is way too much rain. As such, it tends to sometimes smell musty and moldy, which transfers to my cloths. While the spray was just florals for the first hour or so of spraying, it wasn't overwhelming like before. Once they toned down, I could catch hints of vanilla, and moss, all tied together with tobacco. Nasty basement mold smell? It mixed with the moss and the honey musk in a strange way, becoming pleasant and part of the scent. A few hours later, and the florals all but disappear leaving a pleasantly musty vanilla, with hints of tobacco and a very fleeting scent of whiskey. Still does not smell like moldy basement, nor like someone covering up moldy basement smells with something else. Next day, still no basement smells, just the hint of old vanilla and a pleasant sweet musk.

While I don't think I'll be buying a full bottle any time soon, I'll most likely end up using the whole sample since the rain has been unrelenting this year.

i really like cathouse a lot. i could see it being nice sprayed sparingly on a warm summer day because it has that sultriness to it. i can't really pick out notes in this, but it seemed to be mostly florals and vanilla with a hint of musk, but probably mostly magnolia-vanilla. very evocative!

I am worried about the jasmine in this making it smell like catpee but I am giving it a go anyway!

Eeew, actually it's feces (sometimes jasmine smells like urine, sometimes feces to me - either way, not good)

This is interesting though - I always assumed it was my skin chem that made jasmine smell terrible, turn out it's actually just a scent that my nose finds repulsive. Blarg. Lesson learned, no more jasmine. Like, ever.

Hmm. Hmmm. This may be another case of "I want to wear that, not smell it all around my room." I adore white florals and this one is a true beauty, with the perfect blend of gardenia and jasmine that's somehow cool and sweet while also being indolic--but I'm not feeling it. Most of the time I spray this kind of thing on my bed to freshen up the whole room, and no way do I want my bed smelling this sweet or strong all the time. I'd love an oil version (or even a HG/BO version), though!