Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
emily2531

any BPAL blends with the scent of Daphne?

It's springtime, and all around my neighborhood I am smelling Daphne. I love the sweet floral piny lemony fragrance of Daphne blossoms. And unfortunately I have to wait another whole year before I can smell them again once these blossoms die. Is there a BPAL that includes this fantastic floral scent?

Daphne odora is seriously my favorite floral fragrance of all time. I don't get evergreen from it, but I find it to be such a sweetly spicy, hypnotic, sensual fragrance that I would be thrilled if I could slather myself in the scent of the blooms. I'd ROLL in it!

I haven't found anything in the catalogue that matches it, but maybe we can hope together that it will make an appearance at some point. =)

I'm hoping! I love the fragrance of daphne blossoms, and I can only imagine the fragrance gurus at BPAL working their magic with it.

Nothing comes up in the search engine for me - does daphne go by any other names though? Is it the same as mountain laurel? Why am I confusing them? :D I don't think a lot of daphne grows in my area, that's probably got something to do with my :P

Nothing comes up in the search engine for me - does daphne go by any other names though? Is it the same as mountain laurel? Why am I confusing them? :D I don't think a lot of daphne grows in my area, that's probably got something to do with my :P

Neither wikipedia nor general Googling seems to reveal any names for daphne that I recognize. (It does get referenced as Garland Flower a lot, but this means nothing to me. :D) Mountain laurel's not apparently a type of daphne, but... Wikipedia DOES say that Daphne is Greek for laurel, so maybe that's where you're making the connection. :)

Daphne's official (Latin) name is...daphne odora.

here's the wikipedia on it

(I hope that link works).

I don't think I've ever smelled a Daphne perfume (no, it isn't like laurel or mountain laurel) but the fragrance of the flowers is indeed stunning. Rich, to my nose kind of hyacinthy, but my nose is notoriously strange.

... notoriously strange.

do I smell a new member title? :P

Now you all have me wanting to hunt down some Daphne plants for my yard. Although technically I am trying to make it not my yard (we have our house on the market) so I shouldn't be spending money at this point to do too much landscaping.

oh, ivy, I love it. I should probably take it on (notoriously strange)... :P

Thursdae, if you associate Earl Grey Tea with daphne (which to my mind is odd, but okay)...then I wonder if bergamot scents might come close? Maybe something with bergamot and some strong waxy floral?

Jarvenpa, i think you're right about the waxy component. There's something about daphne that reminds me of the sticky white sap stuff that comes out of dandelion stems when you pick them. Just a little bit. And I've always thought daphne smelled lemony, but bergamot is a citrus scent, too.

I asked my mother, a botanist, and she said that daphne contains a substance that is toxic to humans and animals. So that's why it's not used in perfumery.

If I was going to try to make something that smelled like daphne, I would try jasmine or ylang, verbena (and maybe some bergamot and neroli), vetiver and dandelion sap or maybe beeswax, honey. Maybe on a base of white musk. Yum, I smell this perfume coming together.

I'm bumping this thread because the Daphne is blooming here and it smells so good...

Specifically it's the kind that looks like this: http://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/plant-0004863-n-1/daphne-odora-aureomarginata/

It's a sweet floral that almost smells like some kind of citrus cake to my nose. I searched my spreadsheet and all I got was Daphne Honey and Snow Moon 2012, neither of which are really what I'm looking for. Even if it's not a listed note does anyone know of a BPAL that approximates the scent?

Sign in to follow this