Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
TereFaerie

Favorite labdanum blends?

I have very recently tried Gaueko and while I like the dry down, the all lavender all the time for the first 20 minutes is a bit much for me. I have had very good luck with the resinous blends, but not so much with white florals.

It looks like there are about 12 blends containing labdanum, and I have only tried this one. I know I love that resinous scent from some of my favorite Lush Cosmetics Bath products like Jingle Spells, Jingle Jelly and Reincarnate. I know these blends are much more complex than Lush scents, but I wondered which ones were the "labdanumest" smelling to y'all!

Pulcinella & Teresina Labdanum, cedar, teak and red rose.

The Scales Of Deprivation- A scent that offers no sustenance, comfort or satiety: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum.

Medea- Night-blooming cereus, black orchid, black currant and myrtle leaf enshrouded in the incense of Hecate's cypress and myrrh, and the dark rage of magickal labdanum and intoxicating poppy

Gaueko- Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum.

Hades- A dark, palpably sacred chthonic blend: black narcissus and cypress, stephanotis, opoponax, labdanum, onycha and ambergris.

The Isle Of The Dead- Cypress, labdanum, stargazer lily, juniper, yew, black rose, white sandalwood, benzoin and aquatic notes.

Temple Viper- Snake Oil with sugar cane, frankincense, champaca, opoponax, labdanum, and hyssop.

Sheol- Vibrant gladiola, graceful stargazer lily, triumphant iris and bright heliotrope flare, and is finally made somber by heavy copal, a drop of labdanum, and tonka.

Hymn- Based on an incense blend sacred to the Virgin Mary: perfect rose absolute and Palestinian Lily of the Valley with olibanum, labdanum, frankincense and myrrh.

Magdalene- A bouquet of white roses, labdanum, and wild orchid.

Oblivion- Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron.

Skuld- Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

I definitely recommend Temple Viper! Of the rest I've tried they all had another overwhelming note (cedar in P&T, and lemon peel in Scales). Oblivion may be good for you, but I don't remember how much labdanum I got from it.

Try Oblivion! I get a very dark lovely resinous feeling from this one, and it's LOVERLY. No flowers.

Best,

Tzi

Edited by tziporra

I can't remember specifics but Sheol smells really good. don't know if it's the labdanum or not but it's wonderful.

temple viper too. it's one of my absolute favorites. just delicious!

Pulcinella & Teresina is the most labdanum heavy blend I've ever tried, but I do love Magdalene. The latter is pretty heavy on the florals, though, and the labdanum just gives it a rich note. If you don't want florals, you probably wouldn't want it. :P

Does the rose in Pulcinella and Teresina come out a lot?

I wanted something heavy on the labdanum but was scared of the rose because I amp it so much but dont like to wear rose so I never gave it a try.

Oblivion is dark and resinous but was not labdanum in particular.

I wanted something heavy on the labdanum but was scared of the rose because I amp it so much but dont like to wear rose so I never gave it a try.

yes, to me the rose came out a lot in P&T...it was not my friend :P

The rose barely came out for me on the drydown, but if you amp rose...

You could also look for blends with cistus or rock rose in them. Wulric, the Wolfman comes to mind (the lab description says cistus, but the bpal.org review says citrus - I don't know what it is really as I've never smelled it).

FWIW: Cistus (rock rose) is where labdanum resin comes from.

ETA: whoops, further investigation shows that Wulric is the only possible contender. There is nothing with rock rose and only Wulric with cistus. I guess for future reference . . . Sorry! :P

Edited by Hoyden

It looks like there are about 12 blends containing labdanum, and I have only tried this one. I know I love that resinous scent from some of my favorite Lush Cosmetics Bath products like Jingle Spells, Jingle Jelly and Reincarnate. I know these blends are much more complex than Lush scents, but I wondered which ones were the "labdanumest" smelling to y'all!

I got the last tub of Jingle Jelly at the Lush store yesterday and regret no trying it earlier. It seems to have a lot of juniper. If BPAL would make a juniper and labdanum perfume I would be very very happy. Without rose, pretty please.

You could also look for blends with cistus or rock rose in them. Wulric, the Wolfman comes to mind (the lab description says cistus, but the bpal.org review says citrus - I don't know what it is really as I've never smelled it).

FWIW: Cistus (rock rose) is where labdanum resin comes from.

ETA: whoops, further investigation shows that Wulric is the only possible contender. There is nothing with rock rose and only Wulric with cistus. I guess for future reference . . . Sorry! :P

Hey, I totally forgot about that, thank you for mentioning it. If anything with cistus comes out in the future I am going to jump on it :D

Wulric smelled like cocoa and a huge lot of musk with an herbal undertone, if cistus smells like labdanum it did not really come out very much, the musk was way too strong. I still have the imp up for swap but since noone has wanted it so far I am going to re-test...

I wanted to thank people for this post as it made me realize I've never liked anything I've smelled with labdanum in it. Sometimes it's as much help to know what you don't like as it is to know what you do.

Thanks everyone, for your recommendations!

It looks like Sheol, Oblivion and Temple Viper might be my best first choices. I wanted to try Teresina and Wulric both anyway, so that's good. I do amp rose, but I'll ahve to give Magdalene a shot as well!

Thanks again, my Gaueko (that I have on today) is better in the bath tub than on my skin, so I can't wait to get some imps/decants of these others!!

XOXOXO

Tere

Sign in to follow this