Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puol

Could someone list all of the pirate scents?

I'll start!

Anne Bonny

Black Pearl (if you think of the Disney movie rather than an oyster's secretion)

Calico Jack

Grog

Jolly Roger

Port Royale

You might also want to try stormy or bloody things.

I'll start!

Anne Bonny

Black Pearl (if you think of the Disney movie rather than an oyster's secretion)

Calico Jack

Grog

Jolly Roger

Port Royale

You might also want to try stormy or bloody things.

Thanks! If anyone knows of any more piratey scents, post them here. Now for another question, between Calico Jack and Port Royale, what are the differences and would both be suitable for a man?

Edited 'cause I'm a dumbface who doesn't know what she's talking about. :P

Hey you, don't be so hard on yourself! I'm shaking a stick at you! The stick of encouragement! :D

Edited by puol

And maybe Port-Au-Prince, wasn't that a pirate haven too?

See, I think of Port-Au-Prince as a pirate scent too, but I have no idea if that's based in reality or just cause it's so sexy.

See, I think of Port-Au-Prince as a pirate scent too, but I have no idea if that's based in reality or just cause it's so sexy.

It's not only sexy, it contains RUM, and all rum scents are pirate scents! :P

It's not only sexy, it contains RUM, and all rum scents are pirate scents! :D

Santo Domingo contains rum, and as it's in the Caribbean, it was probably a pirate port. And for more rum scents, don't forget Elegba and Baron Samedi. Also The Sailor's Den, from the Salon: Orris, bay rum, palm, coconut meat, oak wood, tobacco, linen, blue lilac, and leather.

A few others, because the concepts seem to apply: Villain, Wicked, Greed, Sin, Vice, Wrath, Thalassa, Blood Pearl, The City in the Sea.

Lastly, maybe Caliban, just for the notes: The scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns.

Everyone else already covered the main pirate BPALs. The ones I mentioned aren't directly inspired by pirates, but you could make them work as pirate scents if you think of them that way. :P

And maybe Port-Au-Prince, wasn't that a pirate haven too?

I consider Port-au-Prince to be my pirate scent. Marzipan pirates!

Between Calico Jack and Port Royale, which one would be more suited for Captain Jack? :D

To my daydreamy nose, Port Royal is the debauched Jack on shore leave, and Calico Jack is all manly Captain on the high seas (and whoo, boy - does it smell hawt on the hubby :D). I'd say give both scents a try if you can. :P

After much consideration, I've decided that I'm going to buy Calico Jack and Port Royale. Thanks everyone for your input!

Ooh, did you see Mary Read in the update?

MARY READ

Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

Ooh, did you see Mary Read in the update?

MARY READ

Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

That one sounds good!

The lab definitely needs a unique pirate section!

I agree, that would be cool.

Wow - what a difference six weeks makes :P

Pirate-y types should be thrilled to note all the buccaneer goodness that landed in the catalog last night!

In Wanderlust, we have:

ÎLE DE LA TORTUE

Home to the Brethren of the Coast and a notorious safe-haven for pirates, this island was once described as the common place of refuge for all sorts of wickedness, the seminary of pirates and thieves.

Damp air trapped in limestone caverns, heady greenery, hothouse orchids, nicotiana blossoms, bois de chandel, elemi, palm wine, garambullo, pega-pega, flame of the forest, and a swirl of Haitian vetiver.

WINDWARD PASSAGE

Breezes blowing off of the waters of the Caribbean: marine accord, seaweed, and bladderwrack.

And, new to Bewitching Brews (and sounding quite bewitching indeed):

KILL-DEVIL

"Rum punch is not improperly called Kill-Devil; for thousands lose their lives by its means. When newcomers use it to the least excess, they expose themselves to imminent peril, for it heats the blood and brings on fevers, which in a very few hours send them to their graves."

Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey.

PLUNDER

The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.

And of course, forum members could not have missed these two exclusive Limited Editions just for forum members, but if you did here's the link, go order them now!

PIRATE MOON

Avast thar! On Octobree th' 31st, Pirate Moon be hangin' high in th' sky! Mad Bess Moriarty, Scourge o` th' Se`en Seas, an' Captain T.J. Barrial wi' be joinin' the'r spirits in unholy matrimony! This scent be created t' commemorate th' union o' these two scurrilous sea dogs.

So, splice th' mainbrace an' get thee loaded t' th' gunwales, me buckos, 'tis a time o' celebration!

Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

20 Dubloons, ya swabbie!

THE PHOENIX

This naval galleon was boarded and commandeered in 1713 on the order of Mad Bess Moriarty, along with a fat fleet of ships bearing precious oils, rare resins, and exotic spices. Once the vessels were secured, Mad Bess selected the finest, fittest galleon from the ships that they had acquired, and chose it to be her flagship. Her crew set to work knocking down the cabins, making the ship flush fore and aft, and painting her low sides were painted black, with one thin riband of orange. They prepared black colors, and set bloodshot, glaring occuli along the entirety of the hull. A new figurehead was carved in the shape of a flame-wreathed, screaming bird, and the ship was sanctified with wine, rum, and the blood of their enemies.

Mounted with 52 guns, and manned with the fiercest pirates to sail the Seven Seas, she was rechristened "the Phoenix".

Sea air, gunpowder, lime, salt-crusted wood, a splash of blood, and a dribble of Snake Oil.

I am going to be very excited to try these out for myself... this is an order I will be sitting on my hands waiting for.

I'm really looking forward to trying out Plunder - it's right up my tea and spice alley! Kill-Devil is also on my to-try list, though I'm a bit scared of the sugar and honey - both tend to go burned or rancid on me. And I had to order Pirate Moon. :P

Kill-Devil scares me a little, since caramel-ly scents can be very bad on me and it sounds like it could lean that way. Of course I will try it though, I let no GC stones go unturned if I can help it.

I think I might nominate The Sailors' Den from the Salon as a pirate scent as well - it definitely has a seafaring vibe. The subjects of the drawing seem a bit more modern than the era we usually associate as the golden age of the pirates, but they look like they are up to no good! That should earn them a spot in the pirate's lair.

I'm going to Jamaica in May & I want to be able to take something that smells oceany, aquatic, and I noticed there were several blends with a pirate "theme", but I wondered if someone had a comprehensive list of what they all are & where they're found on the site?

There are a few threads in the recommendations threads. Here is something about pirate blends. Here are ideas for salty scents. Hope that those help. :P

Ooh, I have to thank Portalkat for pointing me in this direction! This is exactly what I was looking for...I agree with the previous comment that BPAL should have an entire section for pirates, since there are several pirate, Caribbean, or ocean-themed blends.

General catalog; Jolly Roger (yum leather and sea breeze), Plunder (Spices), Kill devil (rum and wood)

You can also usually find Pirate Moon on ebay or the swap/sale section here. It's glorious and complicated, but I find it's a little delicate if you don't reapply after a few hours. You can also sometimes find the Phoenix, which smells like pirate sip and sexy pirate captain.