Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Aziraphale

Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

I was really interested in this perfume once I noticed it. I love the book Good Omens and I've been really hoping to find a bookish perfume that's not too masculine (I tried Dee and it was pretty awesome, but a bit too masculine for me and I wish I could have tried a bottle of The Book, but I finally got to shopping around in BPAL after the cutoff date for that one).

In the Bottle: The scent is very cologne-y. Lots of wood, cedar-y, and I think I can smell the dusty book note as well. This somewhat reminds me of a drier version of Dee (also without the leather there). There's also something sort of similar to pencil shavings in the way that the notes combine. In general, it's pretty strong.

Wet on Skin: The wood is settling down a bit. It's still pretty strong at the moment.

Approx. 1 Hour Later: The scent is getting a little sweeter. Maybe that's the particular musk that the description mentioned? I like this much more now that it's settled down.

I really like this one. I think at some point, I may try layering it (maybe with Good for more initial sweetness or a single-note perfume if I see one that's interesting and available).

Wet: Really sharp wood. I was hoping for the blonde wood note from The Changeling, which I adore, but this is sour. The musk isn't really identifiable, it just smells like sharp, sour, wet wood.

Dry: Woody and manly. Very sharp, still sour and a bit bitter. I am going to try aging it to see if that takes the edge off.

Honestly, I didn't expect to like this all that much. From the notes it sounds kind of soft and airy...which it is, but there's also a definite backbone (very fitting, I think!). The wood/paper aspect is the strongest here, very dry and slightly spicy. There's a resiny richness to the wood that you don't normally find in the "blonde" category, although there's nothing heavy about this. The musk sweetens it up a bit and adds more to the dry/papery tone, and there is indeed something slightly bitter hanging out in the base that balances the rest of the scent out. I'll definitely be keeping my decant and will probably end up with a bottle.

In the decant: Dusty blonde woods and musk. I think one of the woods is a yellow or golden sandalwood note.

Wet: A light musk accompanied by the dust and blonde woods, which I think may contain two sandalwood notes now (white and golden). It is evocative of a shop filled with bookshelves of dusty tomes with yellowed pages… which fits Aziraphale perfectly. As the scent sits on my skin, a cedar note emerges, but it is not the kind of cedar that stomps all over everything else.

Dry: The scent is less dusty now, as the ethereal musk has asserted itself and is now the dominant note, backed by the warm woods. It smells bright.

After a while, the ethereal musk has an aquatic vibe to it.

Verdict: Aziraphale’s scent matches his character, and it’s a lot more pleasant than I thought it would be! I am not sure that I need a bottle, but I’ll certainly cherish my decant. It’s a wonderful book scent! :)

Aziraphale has been on my need-to-try back burner list for ages, so when I saw the chance to snag a bottle for a super deal (:wub2:), I snagged hard! Not disappointed.

The blond woods are dry and definitely conjure the image of bright gleaming wood, freshly split. Supporting them is the iconic book note of BPAL, so sweetly papery and comforting. A oh-so-gentle poof of musk hovers about the two, yes, like an angelic halo. 

I’ve been wanting a scent that encapsulates my childhood memories of lumber store visits, and this does the honor of including the book note. Reading is another connection I have to childhood memories with my father. 

Super pleased Azi works for me and gives me some cherished nostalgia, to boot. Doesn’t hurt that I like his character, too!