Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
LiberAmoris

I Died For Beauty

This is, suitably, a very quiet, melancholy sort of scent. Violet is an iffy note on me; in some blends it works well and it others it becomes very shrill. In this case, it seems tempered by the dusty/powdery notes in the blend; I'm guessing that's the influence of the hyssop. As it dries, the frankincense comes out and the violet is banished to a faint powdery sweetness. It's a pleasant and interesting scent, but I'm not sure it's for me.

I am no fan of ylang ylang or violet, but I am very fond of hyssop, frankincense and loamy scents.  Plus I love the poem and thought the notes might capture it really well, as in fact they do.  But I honestly didn't have high hopes for this because of the first two listed notes. The florals come rushing out of the gate together, but it's not an old lady violet, and I'm not actively disliking it because I can start to smell the frankincense and soil fending off the floral assault.  I Died for Beauty turns into a frankincense scent backed up with flowers and dirt. I don't get a lot of hyssop, but I think it's actually interacting with the violet in a way that makes it more palatable to me.  Much better than expected!

In the imp: Lots of frankincense. When I close the imp, I can smell the ylang ylang, but I'm not detecting it from the went scent in the imp. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's still mostly frankincense in the base, though other notes are flitting around in the background, deciding what to do with themselves. As it dries, I do get a bit of ylang ylang, but just around the edges. I never can detect violet or hyssop. 

Also, and perhaps this is due to age, even the bit of ylang ylang fades pretty fast. Within forty-five minutes of application, this is floral-tinged frankincense on me. 

Not, I think, what this scent was meant to be when it was in its ripeness.