Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zennun

Looking for BPAL that resembles a Body Shop scent

i wear snake oil with the vanilla spice range. it complements it rather than being the same. i bet snake charmer would be more like it though.

*wanders off to find last bottle of snake charmer to check*

About seven years ago, The Body Shop used to sell a perfume oil called Mari Mari. It was my favorite scent ever. They discontinued it shortly after I had grown obsessed with it. Luckily my mom and I were able to procure some lotion of it from a very nice employee there who actually dug it out of the back room and put it in some of the scentless lotion for us because she wasn't supposed to sell it as it was. I was wondering if anyone can recall this scent, even if it's been a long time, and possibly liken it to a BPAL scent? Or even any other company that may sell something similar. If anyone can, I would love you forever. I do not jest.

Wow, I have googled Mari Mari and I can't find the notes anywhere - I was surprised Basenotes.net didn't have it listed. I figured with a list of the notes you usually have a better shot at finding a match. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me, or will be familiar with it!

I'm so pleased I found this thread! The Body Shop White Musk has been my signature scent for years, and one good friend even told me not to bother trying out BPAL because he likes White Musk so much on me!

I don't actually think Black Pearl or Zephyr are much like TBS White Musk, or at least not on me, although they are both beautiful, but I'm waiting for parcels with Verchenyaya, Mr Ibis, and Whitechapel in, and I'll definitely check out the other scents recommended here. :P

Edited by Lyrical

My BFF bought me a set of the White Musk fragrance from the Body Shop for my birthday because she said it reminded her of me. Which is odd, because I don't think I tend to wear much musk at all...but!

My question is: does anyone know what the notes are in the Body Shop's White Musk (other than white musk, obviously!)? I'd like to wear it but I'm afraid that what I normally wear would clash.

Hi Christine Daee - I just found this on the Body Shop's site (I don't know that they have been so forthcoming with their perfume descriptions in the past!) so it should be pretty accurate:

White Musk: Top notes: velvety musk, floral lily and sensual ylang ylang with hints of fresh galbanum and basil.

Middle notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily and rose.

Base notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily and iris, rose, sweet vanilla, fresh amber, patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver with hints of fruity peach.

I would say to my nose, I get a vanilla-y, light musk, although I can see where there definitely must be light amber/patchouli and other earthy basenotes now that I have been told they are there :P Those florals are very well blended and/or added with a very light hand, I think!

Dorian, Victoria and Zephyr come to mind immediately, but I will definitely put some more thought into it.

Hi Christine Daee - I just found this on the Body Shop's site (I don't know that they have been so forthcoming with their perfume descriptions in the past!) so it should be pretty accurate:

White Musk: Top notes: velvety musk, floral lily and sensual ylang ylang with hints of fresh galbanum and basil.

Base notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily and iris, rose, sweet vanilla, fresh amber, patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver with hints of fruity peach.

I would say to my nose, I get a vanilla-y, light musk, although I can see where there definitely must be light amber/patchouli and other earthy basenotes now that I have been told they are there :P Those florals are very well blended and/or added with a very light hand, I think!

Dorian, Victoria and Zephyr come to mind immediately, but I will definitely put some more thought into it.

I wonder what "velvety musk" is, haha. I can definitely smell the amber, again, now that I know it's there!

Dorian would probably layer spectacularly well with this, you're right. Unfortunately Zephyr turns to lemon on me (wah). And go on, give me another reason to buy some Victoria! :D (I've been wanting to try it anyway!) Thank you for the recs!

The drydown for Pele smelled to me exactly like TBS's White Musk. Or at least the version-- don't know if it's changed or not-- I used to wear when I was in high school (about-- dear God, can it be?-- 15 years ago).

on the Body Shop's site :

Good lord, really? :P

I can't believe it. I have loved and worn White Musk for aaaaaaaages, it works so well on me and has always been the best smell (so far) to make me sigh happily.

And yet, I hate ylang ylang. I don't like florals - or amber. And jasmine, at least the BPAL jasmine note, becomes a screeching white SCREAM of a smell on me that stabs my sinuses with icicles.

Ha, if I'd seen the ingredients of white musk as a new scent to try, I would probably have run away.

Just goes to show, you can't judge a scent by its cover.

The only problem with BS white musk for me is it takes ages for the smell to appear in all its glory. For the first 8 - 10 hours, it's barely there; it's only when it's been warmed up and worn-in that it arrives and does it's magic thing.

Edited by BohemianWeasel

So, uh, this is a bit of a long shot, but: The Body Shop, for at least a few years, had a scent they rolled out at Christmastime called "Snow". They made body wash for that stuff, which (I thought) smelled divine. (They also had a sparkly lotion scented the same way, IIRC; there were also lip gloss pots, but those were peppermint, which the "Snow" scent definitely was not.) It was somewhat floral, but unfortunately it's been so long since I've had it that I can't really describe it beyond that.

I don't suppose anyone knows what I'm talking about and could direct me to some BPAL with similar notes? I took a look at Basenotes.net and came up empty-handed, though I'm sure someone more familiar with it might turn up something I couldn't find.

EDIT: Well, I found a cross-reference for this specific question, though of course it involves LEs from a couple years ago. *laughs*

Edited by Eyeska

Having searched for a BPAL equivalent to Body Shop White Musk ever since I started, I've just tested Victoria, which shares the notes of (white) musk, vanilla, rose and lily, and I really think the wet stage is very similar to White Musk. On me it gets more floral on the dry down, but it's definitely worth a try if you like White Musk!

Is there anything which smells like body shop's moringa milk body lotion? I've never heard of moringa milk but the smell is creamy floral. I think it kinda reminds me of alice but creamier and milkier?

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent which smells like the Body Shop's Ananya? Someone said Bathsheba smelled similar, so I'm probably going to include an Imp of that in my next order. Also someone noted that Oberon was similar, but other reviews in the same thread said that Oberon was mannish and that's not the kind of scent I'm after. Chymara and Cinnamon Spice from the Body Shop are also faves...if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Sadly, my searches have been rather fruitless so far. :P

I was in the Body Shop the other day and they've got their holiday range out, with limited edition smellies. I've absolutely falled in love with the Vanilla Spice scent and products, especially the glittery body lotion.

Anyway! I was wondering if anyone knew if Bpal did a scent like this at all? The Body Shop aren't doing it as a scent sadly and I'm not very keen on their regular vanilla perfume. So yes, Vanilla Spice, very strong on the vanilla. Any suggestions???

Thanks! :)

-jamie

I know I'm going back in time a bit here, and diverting a bit from the "musk" discussion, so I hope this is alright. The Body Shop had the Vanilla Spice range again this last winter, and I got the body butter which is AWESOME. I have to say that it smells exactly like Pickled Imp on my skin!

When I first put Pickled Imp on there is that distinct pine sap note, but it completely disappears on me within about 20 min. and I'm left with just the spiced vanilla scent. This may not be the case for everyone obviously, but it's the most spot on comparison I've noticed in my BPAL history yet :D

Does anyone have any suggestions for a BPAL that smells like Brazil Nut body butter? I looked through the nut thread and couldn't tell if any of those would fit the bill. TIA!

Can anybody recommend a scent that smells similar to The Body's Shop's Neroli Jasmin?

Top Notes

Neroli, Freesia, Violet Leaf

Middle Notes

Orange Blossom, Jasmin, White Peony

Base Notes

Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk, Amber

Maybe something not too vanill-y? Everything I wear ends up smelling like vanilla to me ^^;;

Thank youssss :D

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent which smells like the Body Shop's Ananya? Someone said Bathsheba smelled similar, so I'm probably going to include an Imp of that in my next order. Also someone noted that Oberon was similar, but other reviews in the same thread said that Oberon was mannish and that's not the kind of scent I'm after. Chymara and Cinnamon Spice from the Body Shop are also faves...if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Sadly, my searches have been rather fruitless so far. sleep.gif

So years and years later, I am here to say that I recently acquired a very aged decant of The Witch Queen (Stardust series) that is an awesome doppelgänger for Ananya. The decant is probably 8-9 years old, but so is what's left of my Ananya. I have a little on each wrist and the Ananya has a tad more of a golden base but the overall feel of the scent is super alike to me. After I have satisfied my Luper lust I plan to order a lab-fresh bottle of The Witch Queen to see how it compares, and report back with my impressions for the benefit of any of us former Ananya-lovers out there who may still be searching for a fill-in.