Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
coulrophobe

Dragon's Reverie

Opium-laced dreams of flame, plunder, power and fury: dragon’s blood resin, poppy, amber and ylang ylang.

I have absolutely NO idea how I missed this amazing scent my first few times through the Ars Draconis list, especially since I discovered somewhere along the line that I absolutely adored BPAL's Dragon's Blood. And that ylang-ylang is one of my absolute favorite floral notes. And that I love love love amber. And poppy.

Well, whatever the reason may be, I happily stumbled across it on my first trip to Dark Delicacies and it was one of the three big bottles I bought on that memorable day.

During this current "try every single imp and bottle in my collection and either review or revisit it," I quadruple-tested four DB scents, this one among them. It didn't disappoint (FYI the other three were Dragon's Hide, which sadly aged poorly on me since 2005, with the leather outlasting the DB, along with Dragon's Claw -- still divine -- and Dragon Moon 2008, ditto on the divinity list).

IMP: Actually, in the imp, this one had the least obvious Dragon's Blood hit on me on first sniff, with the glorious florals overpowering it.

Applied in the crook of my right arm.

WET: Once on and interacting with the skin and bit of sweat, the DB woke up and roared into wonderful action, combining with those amazing florals and the amber to be, perhaps, my favorite of all of the applications of the day. There was also a little bit of sweet candy hidden behind the lush notes ... overall, just a great sexy scent.

DRY: The drydown is long and lovely without being "in your face." I'd say that nine hours later the prevalent notes, subtle though they are, are the DB and the YY.

OVERALL: Bravo. Worth waiting for.

On a scale of 1-5, a definite 5.

Wearing it I get the distinct scent of flowers and sweet golden sunshine, which instantly teleported me back into the great outdoors of my childhood home. :wub2: Such a wonderful nostalgic reminder of a happy time and place!! Who knew I was a baby dragon? Bottle worthy for sure.

Oo. Not being much of a dragon's blood person, I'm surprised at my warm reaction to this at first sniff. I get a sort of smokiness not accounted for in the notes. I'm not familiar with the lab's poppy note, but what seems to be the poppy here engages me.

I feel like this is a floral I could wear if it were still around, probably because it smells nothing like a conventional floral.

I don't know that I have the vocabulary to describe this. It's lighter than I'd expect from a dragon's blood derivative. It is pretty and dreamy. Glad I got an imp of this.