Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
k00kaburra

Narcissus

I am not 100% sure this is the same as black narcissus, as it is a decant, but as there was no other narcissus listed I'll take that risk.

In bottle: Hee hee. Reminds me of daffy-dills.

On me: To my nose, narcissus is a white floral with a bit of incense ground in. It's a musky floral as well. (It also seems to be a bit plasticky/wet Bandaid on my skin, which could explain a few blends.)

at first: a milky and sweet flower.

on: a very creamy floral with a bit of sweetness.

1 hour later: floral and dark.

2 hours later: floral and beautiful.

overall: narcissus is one note i was never quite sure of. it's nice and creamy, but still dark and floral.

Narcissus - This is a note that is in several of my favorite BPAL blends, but I wasn't quite sure what it smells like on its own. I'm actually very surprised to discover how what a bitter white floral this is. It's a highly pungent floral, and has virtually no sweetness to it at all, as do most of the florals I really like. It smells like a bitter, floral, old-lady perfume to me. I'm not a fan.

Edited by edenssixthday

My wee drop of this is quite hateful. It's definitely a perfumey floral, going all musky and sharp on my skin. It also smells sort of dry to me. I won't be trying to find more of this one.

Narcissus, I am happy to declare, is nicer on my skin than it seems to have been for others. It certainly does have a sharp, pungent quality, but it does not turn plasticky or too perfumey; instead it really does smell true to my memories, at least, of the flower itself. My father used to grow them every year, in a gravel-filled pot on our kitchen counter. This single note smells so very much like that, with a background biting quality that reminds me of stems and leaves.

Ultimately? Narcissus is still not quite me--I am more of a tulip girl, myself and this leans more toward the lily side of the bulby-flowers family, as far as I can tell--but I do like it.

At least for me, it's pretty obvious that this single note is quite old. On wet, it has a waxy, almost plastic quality to it which disappears as the scent dries and then the actual floral smell of the narcissus starts popping up (obviously narcissus is more of a heart/base note than a top note). It's lovely, rich, white floral. Highly pungent, no sweetness, slightly bitter. Leans toward the lily scent, with an occasional reminiscent whiff to daffodils.

In some ways, it reminds me alot in feel and sophistication to Shadow Witch Orchid.

ETA: Definitely rich and heady. And smells remarkably like daffodils. Hmmm.

Edited by zankoku_zen