Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
olympia301

Hymn to Pan

Infuses you with wild bursts of creativity and artistic inspiration. Caveat: this blend possesses a hint of 'Rock Star' debauch.

I can only speak on use with intent and how it smells in the bottle, as I haven't dared put this stuff on my skin. The first time I sniffed the partial bottle I got, I'd been having some issues picking up the threads of a piece of fiction I hadn't touched in awhile, and wound up sitting in front of my computer for four hours typing away. When I checked my word count after my brain gave up the ghost, I'd clocked in at about 10,000 words. :thud:

For some reason, this strikes my nose as a much headier, much more feral, in your face, I would crawl all over a guy wearing it, hedonistic to the nth degree version of Old Spice that's wandering around twirling handcuffs on one finger. Don't ask why, I couldn't tell you, but it does.

I've always loved Pan. My sort of guy, you know?

This is my first TAL oil, and I AM impressed. As for scent, it's lovely. I'm wearing it on wrists, base of throat, and over the heart. All the folks who've reviewed already have said it quite nicely. I do get lavender and ginger as the main notes...nom nom...and it reminds me of parts of Vespillo. I just tried layering the two, and WHOA! NOM NOM NOM!

Sooo, magickally? I feel...sort of like I've been drinking! And I feel kinda rowdy. And the tiniest bit...feral...? I'm smirking a lot. Hubby and I are putting together set lists for upcoming gigs, and I'm actually enjoying it. Which is great, because set lists often make me fussy. Tomorrow we're doing a wee performance as a weird quartet: One water theremin, one small-scale cello, two guitars, and me singing. I told our group that I'm anointing us before we play. I'll have to report back about the results.

Oh also: Hymn to Pan seems to be nudging me to empower my kids (oh! Kids...!)! Go figure! I'm having them do some stuff for themselves this evening while I go about my business, and they're rising to it happily. Interesting.hippy.gif

Edit next day: Whew! Loooove that Pan. Had extremely fruitful rehearsal last night, and then today Mr. Pan seems to helping to clear our heads on artistic/career decisions. Now we'll see if he joins in the gig tonight.

Edit day-after-gig! Yes, I'd say Pan joined in the music. First I should say that the "rock star debauch" thing is a part of my everyday life, and has been for a good 30+ years. It's not that I'm a scary hedonistic wench (wellll...;) maybe sometimes), but I've been a professional musician and artist most of my life, and I learned to mix the Perfect Martini for my Dad when I was about 12 years old. So alcohol, making art, and performing is just part of life. No special weird glamor, but without arts I'm dead.

The way Mr. Pan is working with us, he's inspiring me and my crew to focus in on the particular use we're making of our inspirations. Instead of splatter-shooting the things we can do--as we have been doing--we're all simultaneously zeroing in on a certain performance style, and it's working. Really well. And without reservations. For our performance last night, I anointed all four of us on heart, throat, 3rd eye, and crown chakras. I'd already put Pan on the rest of my chakras and my wrists. Oh, and I gave my guitar a couple swipes on the headstock, and I believe I added some to our cellist's axe, too. We did our thing, the folks watching were rapt, and we all had a helluva great time! Then after other folks did storytelling and such (which was REALLY fun!), my hubbie and I proceeded to play several more hours as the party petered out. Oh and my usual stage fright was...ermmm...gone! Yeah, Pan was with us.

So for me, the wild aspect of Hymn to Pan helps remove reservations about making art in the way I know in my bones is the way I should be doing it. Absolutely no patience for "well-I-could-do-that-but-it's-grit-my-teeth-and-survive-the-gig-time" with musical projects. Absolutely no desire to do anything but the visual art that completely fires my soul. And as for inspiration--and this includes mundane things like cleaning house--Pan works like a concentration aid for me. I'm able to just do what I should be doing, if that makes sense. Huzzah!B)

Edit a few days later... My elder daughter catches fallout from Hymn to Pan and goes into hyperdrive inspiration with her visual art and writing. Interesting!!!

Edited by ElizabethOSP

This smells like citrus jellybabies or skittles with a kick of redbull! This will definately wake you up and get your brain going. My mouth is watering. I may try this later before I have a play with my bass.

I will update with how it works when I have used it. I imagine that I will anoint myself before doing something creative.

I've found this a little bit useful for getting ideas flowing when I'm already working on something. Too bad the smell (to me it's lavender and lime-eucalyptus shaving cream) is somewhat distracting.

Scent:

There may be some eucalyptus or pine in this. If I sniff it directly from the bottle, the scent's very nose-clearing in that way strong green notes tend to be. I could also see how someone might get a shaving cream-like scent from this oil, although I've never gotten that association.

In addition, there's something about this scent that I like to sniff - it's masculine, uplifting, green, and strangely attractive, but I doubt the scent will be everyone's cup of tea. I don't use it expecting others will love the scent on me (although I will note I've never gotten any "ewww, that's gross" reactions). However, that's fine with me because I only use Hymn to Pan around the house at this time, or while walking. I like to put some in my oil burner, on my neck, hands, chest, and third eye, or on a Hand of Hermes mojo bag I have.

Use:

I slather this on before writing, since that's my primary creative activity. It has helped me get words on the page when I've otherwise started out not expecting much during a writing session, and I use Hymn to Pan a lot in combination with other oils. I would say it is one of my most-used blends for inspiration even if my results vary widely.

Also, it has inspired a variety of things, including a sexy short novella I will one day write about Pan. Call me crazy, but that novella took shape in my brain while I was using this oil and wouldn't take no for an answer. So, I think I'll write the story sometime soon and dedicate it to this oil. :)

Side Effects:

This can make me feel unexpectedly lusty at times. LOL. I only use it when I expect to have privacy (so I can write without interruptions), but yeah. It can still leave me more likely to feel, um, restless even with no one around to direct that energy at. But that's not a dealbreaker for me and I consider some randy mood swings part of the creative process while working with this oil.

Will I buy another bottle?

I'm on my second, and yes, I will most likely buy a third bottle. I go through this oil fast and regularly slather it on whenever I feel I need inspiration or a boost in productivity (both have happened while using this oil). It's not a miracle worker, but I do feel it helps, especially on days where I feel discouraged about my writing somehow. Plus, I have experienced random breakthroughs with it while writing difficult scenes.

Verdict:

If you're a writer of fiction, an artist, or someone else who does creative things, it won't hurt to try this one as long as you're not afraid of 1) some randy feelings or intense but generally productive moods popping up, or 2) a strong scent. :)

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

Fresh!! I can imagine myself in the early morning in a forest, sitting by a near stream.

Lavender, slightly herby and lots of green leaves in there, and ...moss? Really quite lovely.