Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jessica

Mnemosyne

Enhances memory and concentration and opens up your conscious mind to the collective unconscious history of the world. Can be used to aid in remembering past lives.

To start, the smell was very different than what I expected. Without any notes listed, I'm not sure what I expected, but nonetheless. I'm not good with naming notes either, but the overall smell is heavy. Like incense. It reminds me of a dark, smokey room. Like how Sophie's trailer would smell in Carnivale. Very heady and thick.

I wore this to bed one night and I had to most disturbing dreams. They weren't about a past life, per se, but they were about a very painful time in my life. The incident was fairly recent, about a few monthes old, and I thought I had (for the most part) moved on.

It was really odd, and a little disturbing because I wasn't really expecting the dream. I'm really pleased with the oil, but I haven't worn it since that one night.

at first: super earthy and strong.

on: this smells like vicks vapo-rub on me.

half an hour later: sweeter. i think i smell cinnamon. this was quite a voucher.

1.5 hours later: this smells like gingerbread on me.

overall: after this dries, it is really delightful. i didn't use it for its intended purpose, so i can't really comment on that.

Mnemosyne was a generous gift from a friend, and I could not be more thrilled, as I have pined for this blend ever since I read the description. Besides being the mother of the nine muses, Mnemosyne is the inventor of words and the goddess of memory and history, and I feel a connection to her as a poet. So much of poetry is based on the idea of witness and memory---I really wanted this blend to wear when I write.

First on, Mnemosyne is a blast of menthol-y eucalyptus and spearmint. It absolutely is focusing as it is so commanding. As it dries down, I smell ginger and what smells like horehound candy. There’s a note that’s akin to cola in here as well, like the most divine root beer or ginger ale.

In the end, it’s a herbal ginger, delicious but not foody in the least. I do find that it is extremely clarifying and enhances my connection to the past. It makes me feel like I could stride backwards into my memories and encounter them a second time without any fear. Like history could sing through me. Sing through me Muse, and through me tell the story.

All of this is to say that I love this blend. I’m so happy to have it, and I will use it gratefully.

straight sniff from bottle is pure mentholatum or tea tree oil...or vick's

once applied the mintiness all but disappears and gets very green and fizzy....

after some time it reminds me very much of my beloved hemlock....very nice indeed and i plan on using this for dreamwork and looking into past lives :P

I was not exactly sure on how to use Mnemosyne, so I just wore it to bed last night and pondered until I fell asleep. I didn't dream about any past lives or anything, but had some really great and vivid dreams about my hopes for my future. Which... I guess... would be the opposite intention, lol.

Anyhow. I really loved the way that this one smelled. At first it was unpleasantly menthol-y with a hint of something cinnamon-ish in the background. Thankfully, the eucalyptus smell disappeared after a few minutes and I was left with the comforting smell of cinnamon toast. Mnemosyne smells just like warm sugar, butter, and a pinch of cinnamon on me. Very comforting and lovely.

Mnemosyne

The scent: I'm using this both in an oil burner and on the skin. In the burner, it's a very fresh herbal scent, I'm thinking eucalyptus, rosemary/thyme, some evergreens? But on the skin it's not as fresh and herbal, it's actually sweet and spicy, and creamy-there's definitely some clove in here. Maybe a little vanilla/tonka, gingerbread spices, almost like Anthelion. It's a gorgeous smell on the skin, I must say.

The intent: I used this for it's memory and concentration aiding purpose, by applying to the wrists and burning it as studied. This, to me, is a kinder, gentler concentration aid than, say, Concentration. This is more like having a kindly tutor helping me work out things that are troubling me, but without strictness. I found a lot of my studies made more sense as I worked with this oil. I also felt calmer and more at ease.

A nice little coincidence happened when wearing this-after studying I went to watch the Reading festival on TV and the band performing when I was watching was Muse…and Mnemosyne is the mother of the muses! A small coincidence but interesting nonetheless. (And I love Muse's latest material...)

I will be applying this oil to my third eye before sleeping to see if it has any effect on dreams. (if anything of note occurs I will update). I would love to use this oil for connecting to the Collective Unconscious, as I've always been fascinated by it. I must say that this oil does make me feel very meditative, which would seem appropriate for exploring the unconscious history of the world or past lives...

I will definitely get a bottle of this since this is a lovely oil in both scent and intent.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I am so very impressed with this blend, and I implore anyone who does ANY kind of memory-work, whether past life, cellular, ancestral, or just trying to remember yesterday's to-do list, to get this oil. Mnemosyne brings such intense clarity and focus to the work, and with its help I've been able to access memories that have been eluding me for some time now. All I have is an imp, but you better believe I'm getting a bottle at the very second my budget allows.

Oh and the aroma - heavenly. Really beautiful. In the vial, it does have that 'vicks vapo-rub' smell, but some of my favorite BPALs start out with the vicks odor. (Nephilim, anyone?) But Mnemosyne doesn't stay vapo-rub for long - it calms down to an aromatic clove and spice scent that seems to have just a hint of creamy sweetness. Its a real pleasure to work with and I just can't recommend it highly enough.

This is the first TAL I've been tempted to swap away- not because it doesn't work, but because it works too well.

I used it because I'm missing a couple of things that I need urgently, and I was hoping the oil would stimulate my memory so that I could recall where I put those items. Instead, I went to sleep and entered nightmare-PTSD-zone for eight hours straight. I have too many things in my past that I don't want to remember, and I know it well, so I should not have used this oil so lightly. I feel like I've just returned from a descent into hell.

Recommendation: use with extreme care and forethought.

Not reviewing for scent. It's minty and herbal and it'd probably be a bad idea to use it as perfume.