Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rosered

Torture King

The King of Pain, the Famed Fakir. Frankincense and sweet clove, mandarin and bourbon, lemon peel and leather, grasses and smoke, lime and vetiver, ambergris and deep musk.

This to me unfortunately is nothing too special.

It smells very sweet and brown, and very musky. The sweet clove is very apparent when it's wet. And it's the first time I've smelled it so strongly in a blend, it's actually nicer thanI thought it would be because I'm not too fond of clove in perfume.

I was expecting more of a smoky, dark blend. We are talking about the "Torture King" after all hehe :P.
It just smells to me like alot of other things I've smelled before. I just feel like of all the beautiful notes that are listed, I'm only getting a few. I bet this smells gorgeous on alot of people because of other things jumping out...but on me?

Sweet, musky brown-ness that's not very special...

:D

OMG :eek: I see why this one is popular! It's like a deeper, darker Geek without the pine. Faboulous mix of bourbon, smoke and grass. Rich and malevolently dark with a seductive hint of ambergris and musk. It kills me that I'll probably never find a bottle and will have to hoard my 1/3 imp like no tomorrow!

In the imp: Resins, citrus, cologne.

Wet on skin: Lemon peel, incense, slight touch of clove.

Dry on skin: Frankincense, citrus, clove & a touch of leather :wub2:

Final thoughts: I had the chance to try this when a sweet forumite sent me a decant in our swap. Thank you! I think this is marvelous! It's resins with a bit of citrus, clove and leather. It's not too intense, or heavy & masculine, so it will be perfect for spring & summer. Now the hunt for a bottle begins...

ETA: The scent makes me think of a less smoky Carnaval Diabolique (sans opium smoke) and of a less musky & masculine Crowley (sans red musk). To try if you like those two!

Edited by CreamyJade

I was lucky enough to receive a partial decant of this from a forumite for yule and i was quite excited to receive it. i did a partial test last night.

in the imp: oh. oh gods. nail polish?! all i smell is nail polish. this may be the oddest smelling blend out-of-the-imp that i've come across so far. i'm actually concerned. (I'm guessing that it's the lemon and the lime).

drying down: still the odd sharp sourness, but it's slightly sweeter. i'm still worried.

completely dried/slightly later: OH HELLO THERE. this is the first blend that i have tested that did a complete 180 on me. the leather and the vetiver come out in full force along with the frankincense. the clove and the bourbon balance out whatever the sour notes were, and the sourness is gone completely.

yep this is what i would think the torture king would smell like- 'toy' leather and musk and sexy things. this is what i would want my boy to wear if he ever wore scents. i will be coveting my partial imp and hunting down more, because i'm wearing this when my boy isn't around to make me think of him.

This is such a sexy , masculine mix of citrus & dark notes . It's funny , before I just read the description I wouldn't have picked out the citrus , wouldn't have been able to say just what it was counter balancing the dark leather & rum . Having read it , it all makes sense now . I've had this bottle for a couple years now & it just gets better . :yum: To me the dark notes stand out above the lite . Especially after dry down . But for my liking , that's not a bad thing at all .

Wet: Handsome and lemony.

Drydown: Sweet lemon spiced with frankincense. It actually smells a lot like No. 93 Engine at this point. A cloud of smoky musk and soft leather begin to mingle with the frankincense, as the lemon slowly shifts to the background.

Dry: Smooth, zesty, and lightly spiced. This is a terribly lovely scent. A bit of clove, a bit of leather, some smoke, some citrus, and traces of frankincense and ambergris, all mixed together with a soft, yet manly musk. Not too manly for a woman though; it lands right between No. 93 Engine and Casanova on the neutral-to-masculine scale, and sort of smells like a cross between those two too. This King can torture me any day :twisted:

8 out of 10 bones