Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
gingersnapp

Social Anxiety Disorder

I have been having a bit of trouble with what I guess is Social Anxiety Disorder as of late. Any time my DH and I have plans to go out with friends, I seize up and start to panic and generally do whatever arguing I can to stay home and hide instead. It's starting to get to him, and I do think we're both going a little stir crazy.

This Saturday, a friend is having a BBQ where we will only know about a handful of people. We promised we'd go, but I'm already feeling the cold dread of having to get out and interact with people I don't know... hell, even with people I do know.

I procured an imp of Moxie, and was wondering if anyone has used this blend to become more, well, sociable and outgoing? I was going to try using it to get into the mood, per se, so what might be the best way to utilize the oil? Just slather it on and take it in, or are there specific places to annoint that might help channel the "balls" I need to get out in public and have fun again? Or would using it in a manner not applied to the skin be more effective?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it's to recommend another oil altogether. I'm just tired of being the wallflower, afraid to leave the house and have to be seen and heard, knowing I'll just be embarrassed and flooded with memories of stupid things I did or said (even if they only seem stupid to me).

Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. I debated this one versus Get Personal and BPAL Chatter. If mods need to move it, please don't hesitate to put it where it belongs. Thanks!

Edited by gingersnapp

First of all, I know only too well what it's like what you're going through. I have had social phobia in the past and while social situations are a hell of a lot better now (in the sense that I have social interaction at all) but it's never really easy. I don't know if you're thinking of treatment already, because you didn't say how long this has been going on, but do keep an eye on yourself and think about it. :P

As for hte oils: I haven't tried Moxie, but I use BPAL regularly as a little nudge to help me with my social phobia. Crucible of Courage was a big favourite, but it is discontinued, and now I use a combination of High John the Conqueror and Water of Notre Dame or Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. It depends on what I need the most.

where I put the oil depends on the effect: CoC and Water of Notre Dame go on my heart, because I believe these oils to have an effect on myself more then my surroundings. High John and Aunt Caroline are for my wrists and neck, because I want those scents to effect me as well as my surroundings. I guess it helps as long as it makes sense to you. I woulld personally prefer the oil on my skin, but if somewhere else seems more logical to you, then go for it.

Good luck on the BBQ next saturday.

Ah, thank you for the advice. I have an imp of High John also, and reading the description that might work well also. I've tried Aunt Caroline before and for some reason when I used it, it made me feel claustrophobic. I don't know if that's the right way to describe it really, but I felt panicked somewhat, and smothered.

Unfortunately I don't have any Water of Notre Dame right now, but I'll keep my eye out for it on the swap / sale boards or order some from the Lab directly.

Thanks for your help! :P

As for hte oils: I haven't tried Moxie, but I use BPAL regularly as a little nudge to help me with my social phobia. Crucible of Courage was a big favourite, but it is discontinued, and now I use a combination of High John the Conqueror and Water of Notre Dame or Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. It depends on what I need the most.

I've used High John in social situations that made me tense, and it worked great for me. I'd be interested in hearing if Moxie worked for anyone, though.

I've had Social Anxiety Disorder for going on six years (I'm 20), but it never even occured to me that High John, Moxie, or any other BPAL oil might help (if only psychologically, a bit of a helpful nudge knowing it's there). I'd love to know if anyone's tried Moxie with that purpose in mind, and what their results were (And now I believe I shall be adding imps of Water of Notre Dame & Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo to my Buck Moon order, and perhaps a bottle of Moxie).

On a related note, I would agree with Tesseljoan about possibly considering some sort of treatment, if you've not already; When I *remember* to take it, the meds I'm on & my therapy for SAD make a very positive difference.

I have social anxiety disorder and no BPAL has helped, which is fine because that's not why I buy BPAL. Tarot: Strength smells very nice, however, and I do feel better about myself when I smell nice.

Can't recommend an oil (though I find Maiden very soothing) - but treatment, yay! I went the self-help route by reading various book & taking a self-paced class. Worked wonders. PM me if you'd like any recs in that vein.

Hug, hon. You're not alone, and you can overcome it!

The trick with Moxie, I think, is to make sure you can smell it yourself, so I would absolutely recommend an aromatherapy locket or some other device that you can sniff when you feel yourself becoming a little anxious.

Moxie oh-so-definitely works. It helped me when I had to meet with strangers without the backup of friends (eep). I suggest putting it somewhere where you can sniff it easily...after sniffing my wrist 10 times (and looking silly while doing so) I put a teensy tiny drop on my jade bea, which is on my necklace...and the scent stayed in my nostrils the entire time :P Any scent thats comforting to you is a good bet.

Sign in to follow this