Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
cuervosueno

Enochian

I got this imp as an extra in a swap from Damebecca, who I believe got it at Black Broom.

When I tried to look it up in the search engine, what I found was a two threads: one from Beth asking if anyone else had the Enochian Tarot, and also a question about Enochian in the Twighlight Alchemy thread.

I know nothing whatsoever about Enochian magick, but Clover was kind enough to post a link in the TAL thread about it, so I will include that link here:

http://www.esotericgoldendawn.com/mysteries_enochian.htm

After reading the link, I decided that this is not something I would probably use, because it is clearly a ritual oil and clueless about Enochian magick. That said, I thought I'd post a review strictly based on scent:

In the bottle: floral. I have a hard time picking out individual floral notes, but I think it might be jasmine, because there is that slightly incense note I associate with jasmine.

Wet: the same, but I begin to note rose as well.

Dry down: a very light slightly powdery floral. Rose for sure, but not an overwhelming rose, and whatever the other flower is, it has a white feel to it, if that makes sense.

It is very light on me, almost like the ghost of a scent--as if I was smelling clothes that had once been stored in dried flowers, or a floral perfume faintly lingering on antique clothes discovered in an old trunk.

As far as I can see, Enochian magick has to do with secret alphabets and angelic connections (forgive me if I'm wrong about this--I just skimmed over that one article), and that seems suitable to me....this scent is light and slightly unearthly, hinting at some esoteric realm locked away from the ordinary...and what I get, in the scent, is just a hint of what mysteries might await the initiated.

I'm glad I got to try it, and would welcome anyone else's more knowledgeable opinions....

Bottle (Imp): It's pretty crisp, and fresh smelling.

Just On: It instantly starts to give me a hint of flowers, and herbs.

An hour or two later: It's kind of turning soapy on me, I'm guessing there's something in there my skin has to ruin. It's not bad, but I just don't care for soapy that much. This is probably going to be gorgeous on someone else.

Around 6 hours: It's mostly gone, just a hint of flower left.

12 hours: Enochian has left the building.

Overall: It's not too bad, but it doesn't seem to work with my skin, so it's not something I would reach for much. Pretty pleasant in the imp, but my skin ruins is, as with so many others. It's not necessarily something *I* will use in ritual, although I could.

After reading other review: Ah, the soapy rose. Jasmine seems to turn a bit odd on me at times as well. If I were to use this, I'd not want to get it on me, as the soapyness might be distracting.

Origin - part of the TAL circular swap

Because I know nothing about Enochian magic, I really shouldn't be trying this, but as it's part of the TAL circle, I will give it a test on scent only.

Wet - it's floral, although I don't recognize any specific notes.

Dry - as it dries, rose comes to the forefront. It's now rose with a slightly astringent, slightly floral, very slightly spicy backdrop. Quite a nice scent, but not one I would wear because of my unfamiliarity with things Enochian.

(Origin: TAL circular swap.) I know very little about the Enochian language and Enochian magic, I'll say that right upfront. That said, my impressions are that this is a very ceremonial blend. I smell ritual herbs like frankincense and myrrh, with the sweetness of perhaps berry. If I knew more about the magical system in which it would be used, I'd add other commentary. As I do not, I'll simply say it is a pleasant scent that seems like it would be used for preparing a space for magic, rather than any specific purpose within a working.

In bottle: Pretty, very classic 50's perfume blend. Heavily floral with a reliance on rose, with grounding frankincense or myrrh to balance the notes.

On me: Incensed rose. It has a certain familiarity to it, and a very 'special' feeling to it, like it is of a magical or holy significance.

Which, given that the blend is made to assist in speaking an angelic language, is perfectly fitting.

Obviously I've not used this for a ceramonial or magical ritual, but I think that those who would use it for such would be pleased with the results.

One of the differences for me between a scent worn just for pleasure and a scent used ceremonially or magically is that I tend to use more to really get the full effect if it's used intentionally in that way. With Enochian, a smallish application gave that big effect, a big WHOOSH of slightly woody rose, like roses inside a sandalwood box. I can feel power in this blend, but it's quiet, like a low chorus of angel voices? Dark angels.... not fluffy bright angels or anything sentimental. The scent morphed into more of a floral blend, not just roses, but something a bit sharper, like gardenia or tuberose along with the rose. Within about three hours, it was suddenly gone -- it didn't seem to fade, just *poof* -- all gone.

Again, on the list of those not practicing in Enochian, I was careful with this one and the review is scent based only. A soft, woody, dusty undertone with a touch of floral. This reminded me of old books and long days of study. Interesting, very serious, and slightly incensey.

Enochian does not work well with me as a personal scent. I wonder if there is some rosewood in this... because it gives off that pungent, sour fragrance that rosewood takes on my skin. Actually reminds me of bile. In the drydown it's a mishmash of florals, with some going powdery and some going soapy. There's also an undertone of dusty woods. It reminds me of playing around in my grandmother's dusty medicine cabinet, with the aged woods and neglected perfumes and powders. Sharp and headache inducing for me.