Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
joseybird

Grand Guignol

… Our Grand Guignol perfume is a shot of sweet apricot brandy; just enough to settle your nerves after a ghoulish, gory brush with the macabre.

For me this is apricots steeped in liqueur as opposed to actual apricot brandy. I know that sounds as though they should smell like the same thing but they don't, quite. I agree there's something slightly "fizzy" about it at first - possibly supposed to be fermentation? It's quite sharp and sour on me to start with (which I don't mind), but quickly mellows after about an hour or so.

In the Imp: Sweet Apricots! Really sweet.

Wet on me: Mmm, Sugared Apricots. A little hint of the booze. I could bite in to t

Dry after 5 minutes: The sweetness kind of fades away...

Dry after 10: It's apricot but kind of medicinal on me?

Dry after 30: Apricot and mint maybe?

Dry after an Hour: Apricot. And that's it.

I think this Imp will go to swaps. I don't love Apricot that much.

I hesitated quite a while before trying this because did I really want to smell like apricot brandy? Yes, as it turns out. In the imp this is sweet, fruity and boozy. Wet, the distinctive flavor of both the apricot and the brandy come to the fore. This isn't tart, not-quite-ripe apricot; it's deep, luscious apricot, and it has a little throw, more than most blends do on me. As it dries down, the sweetness recedes, and so does the booze: as the very first reviewer so brilliantly put it, the apricot becomes the designated driver. It becomes a gorgeous rich apricot-preserves-with-a-hint-of-brandy smell that I could definitely wear to work without smelling like I'd just hit the bar. So this was a surprise win.

Grand Guignol is exactly as it is described: apricot brandy! It is the most wonderful apricot (I agree that it's like preserves) accompanied by booze, and the booze gets stronger over time, but you can definitely tell it's apricot booze.

It's not something that I need more of because I already have March Hare and Aristocratic Couple for my apricot needs, but it is definitely an apricot gem in the GC, if you're searching for that note. I'm really glad I got to try it. :)

Edited by doomsday_disco