Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
k00kaburra

Grape

Grape Single Note

In bottle: Smells very purple and a bit artificial. It makes me think of kid's cough syrup or cheap grape-flavored lollipops rather than the fruit or the grape vines.

On me: A bit boozy. It makes me think of red wine or at least fermented grapes; again, there is nothing of the fruit or plant or even raisins in this.

I could actually smell this before I even opened the package it came in…very, very strong. My first impressions were Bubbalicious or Hubba Bubba – i.e. a very strong, fruity bubblegum scent. But it also kind of smells like nail polish or nail polish remover. Too strong for me to test, because my bf could smell it from the next room and was so put off by it that I didn’t want to mess with his allergies. I would think that if used in a blend this would need to be used very sparingly.

Grape Single Note

I love this. It is artificial in a candy-sweet way, like grape Tootsie Roll Pops, but that's why I like it. :P It's different and fun.

This one shows me how different things can be evocated by the same scent.

My grandma has a vine arbour that porduces little purple grapes. Not those big ones that are used to eat, but the small ones that are used to make wine.

Grape single note is exactly that scent.

Grape - from the Single Note swap circle.

In the bottle: A cross between grape bubble gum, fresh grapes, and the muscat-flavored gummies I was eating at lunch. :D

On me: Yup, muscat gummies! That's the exact smell. Weird! It's not actually the smll of grape bubble-gum...more complex than that. It's quite pretty, once the initial kick wears off a little. :P

Drydown: Mmmmm! Mmmmm! :D I love this. I totally didn't expect to, but I do. Wow!

At first this is the artificial smell other describe, like popsicles, Kool-Aid, or even a not-so-nasty cough syrup. However, once it sits on the skin for a while, it gets this wonderful deep, boozy, almost woody scent. It's impossible to describe, but it doesn't smell too much like grape. It's more like raisins than grapes, but still not even that. Very interesting.

SN Grape:

This smells like.. a combination of artificial grape (generally derived from pears) and real purple grapes. It reminds me of scratch n sniff stickers in elementary school.

Via the single note swap circle.

Grape Kool-Aid! at first. After that, gathers to itself more darkness than sweetness/artificiality, and creates a deeper, earthier atmosphere, though it still maintains the high sweet note in the nose. It's like the single note itself contains more than one note--a tribute to its complexity, perhaps, and the simplicity of calling these "single notes," when, in fact, some (most?) are blends. It's weird, but pretty and grounding in its own way.

In the bottle, this is a vivid purple grape-soda scent to me. Grape soda not being my favorite smell, I was doubtful as to how this would wear on me, but I was quite pleasantly surprised! On my skin, it immediately lost the bright soda-pop aspect, and became instead dark and leafy. Drydown brings out the scent of a full-fledged grape arbor more than it does grapes alone. There is assuredly a touch of the fruit, but also the soft, dusty, woodlike smell of grapevine and the deep green of leaves. Lovely.

Grape SN smells, on me, like grape Kool-Aid that you didn't add enough water to. Very tart and artificially sweet. The drydown smells like grape hard candy and... raisins? It's quite odd. Not my favorite singlenote either. I don't like a lot of fruity scents and there's nothing that I really want to layer with grape, lol.

Oh lordy lord...

Grape SN smells like grape cough medicine, but worse...it smells like *rancid* grape cough medicine *ugh* It's one of the very very few BPALs (besides Hearth and Satyr) that I immediately felt the deperate need to wash off.

Not fun.