Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pink carnation, clove bud, pink peonies, Tahitian vanilla, sweet amber, and opium poppy accord.

Edited by Jenjin

When I first tested this tengu I couldn't really pick up on the peony and poppy. Now, a couple weeks later, they bring a rich, almost creamy floral heart to the scent that distinguishes it from other carnation/clove options. Only gently spiced and softly sweet, with wafts of subtle vanilla in the drydown. Lovely!

I think I may actually like this one more than The Serpent in the Carnations, probably because of the peony and the opium as a base note. It's a bit sweeter up top and the base is dark instead of the Snake Oil red musk. This doesn't overwhelm the carnation. My favorite Luper so far.

This disappears fairly quickly which is a shame

Edited by patina

I got a decant of Jovial, but I will definitely full size it before the collection comes down because I love carnation and this one is so pleasant and easy to wear.  It's a dry, sugared, clove-spicy carnation that smells realistic, but not exactly dewy/fresh because it's all ruffled carnation petals and no green stems.  I've always been fascinated with carnations because we always got at least one carnation flower every Valentine's Day when I was in elementary school.  I'd sit on the bus and stroke the soft petals and I was just enraptured by the scent of them.  Those memories solidified carnations as my favorite flower and the epitome of Valentine's Day and romance for me.  It's one of those scents that I want to nuzzle into and that makes my soul and my heart fill with joy.  I digress.

I was so happy and smelling myself the whole time that Jovial radiated from my skin (strongly for about 4 hours before it starts fading).  

Jovial Tengu is frilly, feminine, pink carnation with creamy, sweet vanilla & warm, glowy, amber-y powder, with the sugared sweet clove making everything lean gourmand.  The overall scent makes me think of tousled, blushing ladies on a bed in a jumble of pink and white ruffles.  I was worried about the opium, but it only shows up for the first half hour or so, and even then it isn't overwhelming.  It adds an interesting hint of clean yet darkly resinous undertones to the scent.  In the drydown, it's a pink powder puff mix of carnation, vanilla, and sweet clove on that warm, powdery, amber-y base.  I don't smell the peony; I'm not getting any of its fresh, rosy qualities, but it might be contributing to the blushing pink feel of the overall scent.

I love this one, and it amuses me to no end that this year's Shunga collection has Pleasing Two Women and then - upping the ante - Jovial Tengu Making Love to Four Women.  Tengu is the real MVP of this year's Lupers.